0 comments

African American Friendship Gay

"I can't afford to buy you out. As much as I would like to keep the kid's routine and his friends here in place, his world will already be ripped apart when we sign the papers, and you go your way, and I go mine. But where is he going to go?"


Ross lay across the top of the stairs, dressed for school but quiet as a blade of grass.


"I already spoke to Kay and Ed across the way. They'll keep him as long as you pay his keep. Monthly or weekly. But money or no go. Understand.


His stomach wretched with what he was hearing, caused his mind to whirl with what was next.


"Do you think that's wise?"


"Look, Sam. It is wise. What else can we do? He can't stay with you, and he can't stay with me. We both work shifts. And we are on call every day and every night. That's not an environment to raise a child in."


"You're his mother, Rachel, quit your job, and I'll pay for your keeps." Sam held her hands in his and then kissed them.


"Sam, honey, we tried that already, and that's why we're divorcing. Remember. I'm doing what's best for my boy, but it's difficult for you and me. He is better off with them; you know it as well as I do."


"Good morning, dad, and good morning, mom. What are we having for breakfast today?"


"Morning, son," his dad said. "Waffles au blueberries with fresh whipped cream."


"Morning Rossy. Did you have any great dreams?" His mother kissed his forehead and poured him some orange juice.


"Okay, the truck leaves in fifteen minutes. Everyone going should be ready, or they will have to walk," his dad said.


Ross allowed them to leave together and saw them talking the entire time. He waited until they were out of sight and then strolled to Evan's house. Evan met him at the door, and they headed to school.


"I need to talk to you after school," Ross said to Evan in music class, the last class of the day.


"Okay," Evan mouthed back.


They continued singing their parts and heard the announcements come on before they knew it. The students all took their seats. When the announcements ended, there was silence as the students stared straight ahead.


"Okay, grade seven, there is no homework. Have a great night, and see you tomorrow, everyone."


"Hey, do you want to go to the monkey bars?" Evan asked Ross.


"Yeah, let's go," Ross said. "Last one there smells the other one's armpits."


"Can you believe it?" Evan said, his foot touching the ground as he hung from the monkey bars.


"No. I can't," Ross answered as he hung upside down, looking at Evan.


"Whoever thought there would be so many in one group?"


"Not me, that's for sure." He right-sided himself and swung around to hang from the bars with his hands.


"How many of our parents have to fool around with each other and then get a divorce before they learn the cycle repeats itself over again?" He let out a gasp in frustration.


"Well, who knows? We're just kids, so what do we know? We only watch the parents act like idiots," Ross said.


"No kidding, mate. I don't even want to be an adult." Evan whined.


"No doubt! You couldn't pay me to be my dad or our friends' dads. They all drink too much, have to pay alimony, and are married again and work because they have two houses to pay for. No way!"


"I'll tell you something; I'll never be married. I can't see it," Evan said.


"I hear you. Much to Rachel's chagrin." Ross agreed.


"Seriously, man. No Joke. It's my parents; they're getting a divorce." He stood staring into Ross' eyes with tears streaming down his face, and his cheeks were red.


Evan pulled himself up and swung his legs down so he could stand on the ground in front of him.


"Sorry, man. I didn't know." He placed his hand on Ross' shoulder. "I'll be here for you, no matter what."


"I don't want to leave here. All my friends are here," he said.


"Wait a minute, Evan, how do you know you'll move?" Ross's lines on his face were deeply entrenched as he looked for an inkling of something that showed that Evan had no idea what he was talking about.


Ross moved from tears to sobs. Evan guided him inside the square of the monkey bars, and they sat inside.


"I do'on't wa-an-t t-to m-mo-ove," Ross said again and cried. Evan cried, too, as they sat arms around each other.


"Do you know where you're going and when?" Evan's voice shook as he moved his hair from his eyes.


"I'm not sure, but I heard them say they were selling the house. Neither of them can afford to buy the other out. I don't like the sound of that. Do you?"


"No. Ross, I don't," Evan said, cleaning his glasses with his shirt.


"It's not fair. I told them I wanted to stay and I would stay at your house. Do you think that's possible?"


"Yeah, I think my parents would go for it," Evan said. "Everything rides on; who will pay for your keep?"


"What do you mean? They have to care for me and keep me at your house." Ross's eyes pierced Evan's face.


"It's not like you think. Ross, listen. It's because someone has to pay for you. Your parents have an obligation, but I think you're wise to live with us," Evan said.


"You think your parents will remain together for the long haul?" Ross looked at his face for a guarantee.


"Right now, yes. In the future, I can't say. I know what I see with them; they feel like I do about you." Evan looked at Ross's face for a guarantee.


They sat in silence for a minute. It was a very long minute for Evan. Ross was thinking, and it was a long minute for him, too.


"I am glad to hear that, Evan. I've been waiting to hear you say that for a long time. I know I have loved you for a long time."


The two boys looked at one another and kissed, their lips allowing the others' tongues to explore one another's. They remained in that spot for an hour.


When they returned home, they ate dinner, and Ross went to Evan's house. He brought his bag full of his clothes and all of his books. Evan gave him half of his dresser and closet space.


The boys shared the bed. Evan's parents were happy to see Evan so happy and were glad to be able to help Ross and his parents.










April 16, 2024 21:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.