2 comments

General


   A bottle of liquid foundation came flying out of Karen’s hand barely hitting her friend’s ear. It fell with a loud thud on the wooden floor but didn’t break. Kim growled as she held onto a chair undecided if she should lift it up and throw it or put it up to protect her face in case Karen throws more makeup her way. She pushed it aside instead and walked two steps toward her. 

   “I swear to God, Karen, if you do that again I’m going to rip your fake hair off!” 

   Karen gasped and stepped back. She looked around the rehearsal room unsure of what she was actually looking for then faced her friend again. 

   “For the last time, Kim,” she said, “it’s not fake hair! They’re called extensions you… you…”

   “What?! Say it!”

   “Look. Why won’t you just step back?! I worked damn hard for this role. Besides, you’re playing another lead. Please, Kim. Just give it to me!”

   “Well, it wasn’t my decision! Carlos chose me. And I’d die before I turn it down.”

   “Why?!”

   “Because! I’m an actor, too, Karen. I want the same things you do. And I didn’t steal shit. It was given to me. Why don’t you talk to Carlos and ask him?”

   “Are you sleeping with him?”

   Kim gasped. “That’s low, Karen. I can’t believe you.”

   “Well, are you?”

   “No!” Kim looked away. 

   “Kim?”

   “I’m not, okay? Look, why don’t you just accept the fact that maybe I’m…”

   “What. Better than me?”

   “Well, maybe! Or as they say, the role just fits me better. And look at you! You’re doing Lady Mary.”

   “Oh, Jesus. Do you hear yourself? Even that name sounds terrible.”

   “She’s a very interesting character. Also, let’s face it, Karen. You’re such a diva!”

   “You bitch! Take that back!”

   “No.”

   Karen started pushing the other chairs between them and Kim made for the rehearsal stage that was empty of chairs in case Karen gets any idea.

   “Get back here! You mediocre--”

   “You couldn’t even hit your notes!”

   “Well, you couldn’t dance to save your life.” Karen was walking up the stairs on stage-left now, stomping at every step, her purse still hanging down her right shoulder. 

   Kim ran backstage and pulled a box of props when she saw her friend rummaging in her purse again. Now it was just two actors on stage with no audience. 

   “Kim!” Karen said as she pulled out a hair brush or… what she thought was hair brush but didn’t realize it. Kim started giggling. “Laugh all you want but I swear--”

   “What are you gonna do, tease me with that?”

   “What?!”

   Karen looked at her hand and saw that she was holding her purple vibrator. She blushed but didn’t put it back. 

   “It’s solid. It’s going to hurt.”

   “You wouldn’t.”

   Karen motioned to throw the vibe but decided to put it back. 

   “Ever since this production started, I’ve been nothing but supportive to you,” Karen said gritting her teeth as she slowly walked toward Kim. “I brought you to the auditions!”

   “That doesn’t mean I do everything you say.”

   Kim pulled out a mannequin’s dismembered arm from the prop box when she saw Karen now holding her hair brush. 

   “You ungrateful little brat,” said Karen. “You told me you wanted to help me with my song.”

   She ran toward Kim and tried to hit her with the brush. It touched Kim’s hair and its bristles got tangled in the small black curls hanging down her right ear. Kim ran up-center, waving the mannequin’s arm in front of her. 

   “I’m warning you, Karen. Take one more step and… and…”

   Karen reached the prop box and took a sword and dashed toward Kim. Kim hit it with the plastic arm. It was heavy and both their weapons came crashing down the stage. Kim ran up-left. Karen picked her sword again and motioned to follow. 

   “When I told you I will help you with your songs, I meant it! And didn’t I, Karen? Didn’t I?”

   “You snake.” Karen ran toward her and Kim now circled stopping down-center. “You just took the opportunity to learn them. My songs!” 

   “Don’t be ridiculous, Karen. I was helping you get the notes right. But let’s face it. You couldn’t!” 

   Karen growled and threw the sword Kim’s way and missed again. 

   “See?” said Kim. “There are fight scenes in this show, Karen. You couldn’t even--”

   Something hit Kim hard in the face and she started coughing. It was Karen’s finishing powder and the loose particles had gotten into her nose and lungs. 

   “How’s that?” said Karen. “I say bull’s eye.”

   Kim wiped the loose powder off her face and started running toward Karen but she couldn’t see too well. She reached her and started feeling for her head. She found it. 

   “Raaah!” Kim started pulling on Karen’s hair and her extensions fell off one by one. “I. Helped you. With your shit! And this is what you do?!” 

   All of Karen’s extensions are on the stage floor now. Karen recovered, ran, and stopped up-center-right. 

   “How’d you do it, Kim? Huh? How’d you do it?” Karen said, trying to straighten her hair with her fingers. “Admit it, Kim. You’re sleeping with the director. Maya told me.”

   “And how would Maya know that? You would believe her over me?! I’ve been your friend for six years now!”

   “Well…”

   “Well, what? You only believe her because it’s what you want to hear. Carlos never touched me.”

   “Liar!”

   Karen ran and Kim was still coughing from the powder so she wasn’t able to go very far. The next thing Kim knew, she was pinned on the floor and Karen was on top of her. 

   “First,” said Karen, “I hear they’re making changes with the songs. Then I find out Luis transitioned it higher. I said, fine maybe--”

   “He’s the musical director. He can do what he thinks is best for the show.”

   A slap on Kim’s face. “I’m not finished! I said, fine. Maybe it’s good for the show. But then…” Karen started breathing heavily. “Then, Carlos calls me and tells me you’re now doing the title role.” Kim tried to speak but she couldn’t breathe with Karen’s weight on her chest now. “Then the rumors started to spread. Someone said Maya saw you and him in a coffee shop. Coincidence? I think not.”

   Kim bumped her head on Karen’s and finally freed herself but she couldn’t stand up. 

   “Are you stupid?! You’d believe the rumors based on that? We were talking about the role! What did you think that was, a date?”

   “I don’t know, you tell me.”

   “It wasn’t!” Kim sat up. 

   “How about you getting in his car? Where’d you go? His place or yours?”

   “His wife and kids live with him. Christ, Karen.”

   “Your place then.”

   “Alright fine! We’re in bed together! Happy?!”

   Karen covered her mouth in disbelief. “I knew it. I knew it you little whore!”

   Kim tried to stand up but she was feeling lightheaded from the strong smell of Karen’s finishing powder and her cheek hurt from the slap. 

   “I didn’t mean to. It just happened. And his decision, for your information, had nothing to do with it!”

   Karen laughed. 

   “It’s true. For Pete’s sake. You couldn’t hit your notes, you couldn’t--”

   A loud bang came from the door backstage and they heard the sound of heavy footsteps getting louder and louder until Carlos appeared from the left wing. 

   “What on Earth is going on here?” said Carlos.

   The two girls kept quiet. Kim was finally able to get back on her feet. 

   “Is it true, Carlos?” said Karen. “Are you two sleeping together?” She looked from one to the other. 

   “I will not tolerate this kind of gossip--”

   “It’s fine, Carlos,” said Kim, “I told her.”

   Carlos stood still and said nothing. His face was unreadable. 

   “Is it true?” said Karen again. 

   “Yes. Now, get out of here. You as well, Kim.”

   Karen glared at them both and walked down the stage all the way to the front door. Kim followed. 

   “And Kim?” said Carlos.

   “Yeah?”

   “You’re not playing Genevieve anymore.”

   “What?!”

   “Does it mean I get my role back?” said Karen.

   “No.”

   “Then who--” started Kim.

   “You, my dear, are back to playing Lady Mary. Karen well… Karen will be your understudy.”

   “So who’s playing--”

   “Catherine. And in case you have more questions, no I am not sleeping with her. My decision to switch up your roles was purely professional. What I do in bed is none of anybody’s business. Now pick up your mess and get ready for the run through. I’ll get Cath and prepare her for this.” Carlos started walking back to the left wing and disappeared backstage. “I can’t believe this.” 

   Karen took one more glance at Kim and walked out the door. Kim ran after her. They stopped at the fountain facing the Academy’s main building. 

   “I’m sorry, Karen.”

   “You cheated on me?”

   “I… I just…” 

   “You know, I could forgive you for getting the lead but this?”

   “You wouldn’t talk to me. You wouldn’t tell me how you feel, you wouldn’t--”

   “I don’t want to hear it. I’m out.”

   “What?! You’re quitting?”

   “No, of course not. But I’m out of your life.”

   “I love you--”

   “No, you don’t. I’ll see you at rehearsals.”

July 16, 2020 06:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ashley Beeby
11:25 Jul 24, 2020

WOW! The ending really surprised me, this is awesome! My feedback: try and describe the character's movements/activities more. It was got hard to read in some parts from all the movements and props etc. I'm a culprit of it too, while writing really action-y scenes it makes a lot more sense in your head but I definitely think more (or simpler) details would have helped the story activities flow better. I still loved this story, it was a really creative chase scene! I look forward more writing :)

Reply

Natalia Go
01:43 Jul 29, 2020

Thank you :) Good point.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.