The Locked Door

Submitted into Contest #130 in response to: Write a story titled ‘The Locked Door.’... view prompt

1 comment

Romance Fiction Suspense

Owen watched as another snowbird inadvertently ran a red light. Third one he’d seen this week. Honking ensued between the two vehicles, as the one who had avoided the collision yelled out in anger at the confused older driver. Owen sighed. It was getting worse every year, but he wasn’t surprised why more people were flocking to his hometown of Naples, Florida. Beautiful beaches, balmy 70-degree weather in the winter, manicured and gated neighborhoods, and a plethora of shopping and restaurants. It was a retired CEO’s dream. Owen wasn’t retired, however. But he was on track to becoming CEO; he wouldn’t dare to settle for anything less for his future.

“Road rage these days…” His girlfriend, Amanda, shook her head as their light turned green. “You know they just arrested a doctor here in town for a road rage murder up in Vermont. Crazy story. Oh, and you still didn’t watch that movie with me I wanted to watch…ummm, I think it was called Unhinged with Russell Crowe.”

Owen scoffed. “For such a pretty girl, you have an odd taste in movies. And was the doctor guilty?”

“You know, innocence until proven guilty and all that, but my opinion…evidence is pretty damning. And what, pretty girls can’t like movies about road rage?”

“Aren’t you all just supposed to watch Hallmark and Lifetime and, what’s that one show, the British one?

“Downtown Abbey?”

“Yeah, that one.” Owen pulled his brand-new matte black Mercedes AMG GTR into the driveway and put it in park, then glanced over at Amanda. She was smiling. “Sounds a lot like gender bias to me.” She said. 

“Look, I’ll watch the movie with you, ok? Tonight even. I promise.”

“Ok, it’s a date, and you can’t back out this time.”

Owen exited the driver’s seat and walked over to her side to open the door for her. “It’s gender bias to require me to open the door for you, you know.” She gracefully stood up and leaned into him, pressing her body against his and sliding her arms around his neck. She tilted her head up, her blue-green eyes looking deep into his own. “Girls can’t be biased, everyone knows that.” She said and then kissed him sweetly before pulling away as she walked over to her own car.

“Thanks for breakfast my love, I’ll see you later tonight. I have some errands today. Better not forget about the movie; I’ll be wanting some pizza from The Crust to go with it, gluten free of course.” She blew him a kiss and then she was gone, speeding down the street in the car he’d bought her, a dark blue metallic Tesla Plaid, windows open, bass thumping, her wavy dark hair fluttering in the light Florida breeze.

I should have thought better before dating a twenty-four-year-old Gen Z. He thought to himself as he walked in the house. But he loved her and he knew it. In fact, tonight he was planning to propose. He was hoping the 2.5-carat diamond ring he’d bought from Tiffany’s and a sunset proposal with champagne on the beach would be enough to assuage her anger when they didn’t watch that movie she wanted to watch tonight.

A familiar jingle echoed through the house as Apollo, Owen’s 2-year-old black and white boxer, sprinted to the entry way to meet Owen. “Who’s a good boy?” Owen cooed as he leaned over, petting, and rubbing the dog who shuffled and skittered around Owen in joyful circles, his tail wagging with almost a violent intensity. “Hmmm… I guess it’s time for us to go on our run, huh? Better go before it gets too hot. Supposed to be a humid one today.” Apollo barked with glee, and continued wagging his tail, panting in agreement as he followed Owen expectantly to the upstairs master bedroom.

Owen had purchased the 1.5-million-dollar home when he had gotten his last bonus. He worked as an Investment Banker in Mergers and Acquisitions, and the bonus had been for the largest deal he’d closed so far in his career. He’d bought both the Mercedes and the Plaid then as well. Owen tensed up with anger when he thought of how his dad had berated him when he’d come over to see the new house and cars. “Wow, Owen, you don’t think this is a little much? You don’t need to have all the toys before you’re 35 you know. And you aren’t even married to this girl yet. Don’t overextend yourself before you’re even married and have children.” But Owen didn’t care what his father thought. Besides, a home by the beach in Naples was an investment too; it would be worth twice what he paid in a few years. The more boomers that retired and moved here, the higher the property value would skyrocket. Owen was 33 years old, and he basically had everything he’d ever imagined. A lucrative career, a beautiful house, a dream car, and a stunning young girlfriend who was soon to be his wife. Amanda. his stomach cramped suddenly with a frightful thought. What if she finds out though? The fear pulsated through him, stabbing through his heart and coursing through his veins. He pushed the thought away violently. She won’t find out.

Owen changed into his blue running shorts and shoes and threw on his lucky running shirt, a nearly threadbare cotton t-shirt with a Star Wars logo on the front. It was 10 years old but he liked how light and cool it felt while running in the intense Florida sun, plus Star Wars was his thing. “Come on, buddy” he called to Apollo as he set his iPhone on his dresser. Owen never took any technology with him on his jogs or when he went to the gym. It was his disconnect and refuel time and Owen never wanted any distractions while he was working out. But as he and Apollo went down the stairs, Owen could hear the phone going off back in the bedroom. Nah, I’ll get it when I come back. He thought as he made it to the front door and slipped on Apollo’s running leash. It’s Saturday anyway. Can’t be so important that it can’t wait. And then he and Apollo took off jogging along the sidewalk of the posh neighborhood, blissfully unaware of the faded red Honda civic moving slowly down the street, and the young woman driver watching his every move.

******

That selfish jerk. She thought to herself, hanging up the phone when she heard his voicemail on the other end. He must really think he’s something. He uses me for his own pleasure, casts me aside, and then keeps me from getting my dream job. Now look at him. Flush with all the money and the girl too. But not for long. He’s going to pay for his mistakes. She drove the Honda into the driveway and parked it next to Owen’s Mercedes. Stepping out of her vehicle, she opened her black crossbody bag, and pulled out her Italian stiletto switchblade. She pressed the switch, and placed the blade against the car’s expensive paint job, discreetly running it along the side; a long, wicked scratch following in its wake. She shivered pleasurably at the sound, like nails on a chalkboard. Putting the knife away, she walked up to the front door of the house to test the handle.

As she had guessed, the door was unlocked. Not many people felt the need to lock their doors in this neighborhood, but Owen would live to regret not locking his. She let the door swing open and let herself inside. “Owen, Owen, Owen…hmmm what a mighty beautiful house you have here.” She walked through the house, picking up various items. She stopped when she saw a photo of Owen and Amanda, both smiling, Owen’s arm around Amanda as they stood on the beach against the backdrop of the luminous sunset. She felt her face growing hot, and quickly flipped the frame over, slipped the photo out, and ripped it in half before tucking the pieces deep into her bag.

She made her way to the sofa in the main living room, and laid down on the cool, white leather. Should I wait here for him? She thought to herself. No, somewhere better. She sat up and giggled, then ran up the stairs looking through the rooms until she found his bedroom. Just perfect. The room was dimly lit, the dark curtains blocking most of the light from the window. She looked quickly around the room, and then noticed the cell phone on the dresser. “Owen, Owen, tsk tsk tsk, what in the world were you thinking!” She laughed aloud and took out her own phone looking in her notepad where she had typed out his phone password from memory three weeks ago. She was very observant when she needed to be. A devious plot had begun to form in her mind, and she knew Owen would be destroyed. She typed in the password and went directly to his messages. She quickly found his and Amanda’s text chat.

911, I need you, come to my house right away. I have something important to tell you.

The reply was immediate.

You silly boy, I just left! I’m omw to get my hair done. Can’t this wait?

No, it can’t Need you right now.

Ugh, ok, I’m turning around. Be there soon.

She threw the phone on the bed and shrieked with joy. “I can’t believe my luck! This is going even better than I imagined!” She ran up to the full-length mirror on the wall to check her hair, running her fingers through the glossy blonde strands. Taking out a lipstick from her small purse, she applied the blood red stain, and gently rubbed the dull, streaked mascara out from under her brown eyes. Smirking at herself in the mirror, she took off the crossbody and threw it to the floor, then slowly slipped off the black dress she had been wearing. She watched herself in the mirror for a few seconds, and then kicked the dress over to the corner of the room before sliding under the plush, navy comforter and settling herself back against the pillows. All that’s left is to wait. 

******

Owen saw the door ajar as he jogged back up to the house, and then noticed the red Honda in the driveway. What the…it can’t be. He sprinted inside, Apollo at his heels. He searched the downstairs furiously, and then ran upstairs. I’m gonna … an intense fiery rage filled his every nerve, charging up every ounce of adrenaline coursing through his body. He saw the bedroom door and knew that’s where she would be waiting for him. “Why hello, Owen…fancy meeting you here.” He heard her voice before he saw her in the dim light. There she was, lying in his bed, and crazy as a loon.

“Listen, Heather, you need to go, now. You can’t be here. I’m calling the police.” His voice sounded strained as he heard himself speak. He was trying to control the rage inside, but he was fearful of what he might do to this woman. She threw back the covers, and he tried to control his revulsion while she lay there, as the memory of their night together three weeks ago surfaced in his mind. It had been the biggest mistake of his life.

“What? You aren’t interested anymore, Owen? You were begging for it last time we were together.” She sat on the edge of the bed, smiling at him, and beckoned him to come over to her “Come on, your girlfriend will never ever know. Plus, I have something you want.” She held up his iPhone, dangling it like a treat in front of his face.

He turned around and grabbed her dress off the floor and threw it at her. “That was a mistake, Heather. I told you that I love another woman; I’m going to ask her to marry me tonight! Why are you here to torture me? I’m sorry, but as I explained multiple times, I am not interested in a relationship with you!” Apollo had slipped in the master bathroom, likely going to hide in the walk-in closet. He was more a softie than a guard dog, and confrontation frightened him.

“Just admit what you did, Owen. Admit that you used me, and that you disposed of me, and even worse, after all that, I didn’t even get the job! And now look at you…” she glanced around the room before coming back to rest her dark eyes on his face, “you’ve got it all! But…” She grinned menacingly, “one thing you won’t have is the girl…nope, nope…not anymore.” Her eyes slowly moved from his face to something, or someone behind him in the doorway. Owen spun around and gasped. “Amanda!” Amanda’s beautiful face was frozen in shock as she stared at Heather. Then, she shifted her gaze haltingly over to Owen and stared at him. His heart thumped heavily in his chest, and he reached out to hold on to the dresser to keep himself from collapsing. “Amanda, this isn’t what it looks like…I can explain!” But somewhere, deep inside, he knew there was no way he could talk himself out of this.

“How…could…you?” Tears began to stream down Amanda’s cheeks as she turned and fled from the room.

Owen glanced quickly at Heather before going after Amanda. “You’d better get out of here quick, and never come near me again, or so help me, I promise I’ll kill you.”

“Don’t worry,” Heather quipped triumphantly as she shimmied on her black dress, “I finished what I wanted to do, and that’s ruin your life, just like you did mine.”

Owen ignored her and ran out after Amanda, but he was too late. She had already pulled the Tesla out of the driveway. “Amanda, wait!” He chased her down the road, but the Tesla was too quick. He heard the door slam and turned to watch Heather slip into her old Honda civic. Good riddance. He mumbled under his breath as he made a mental note of her license plate. He was planning to call the cops the second he got inside.

Heather pulled to the end of the driveway and opened the window to speak to him. “Have a lovely rest of your day, Owen. Oh, and by the way, I fixed it for you.” She smiled, her white teeth dazzling in the sunlight, and with that, she pulled out, her hand waving at him out the window as she drove away. “Fixed what?” Owen shouted after her.

He watched the Honda until he couldn’t see it anymore and then walked back up to the house thinking of all the ways he could win Amanda back. He grasped the doorknob to go inside, but the door didn’t budge. He jiggled the knob harder, pushing his shoulder hard against the door, and nothing. Puzzled, he stepped back from the door for analysis as the realization dawned on him. The door was locked.

January 27, 2022 14:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Lisa Roberts
21:48 Feb 02, 2022

Nice job, you really worked the prompt in very well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.