I'm just trying to leave something behind, for good!

Submitted into Contest #79 in response to: Write about someone who decides it’s time to cut ties with a family member.... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Sad Drama

DRAMA-

“It has been 19 long years and I don’t want to drag a long time over relationship just for the sake of my kids”, I told the attorney.

“I have been doing it for almost 2 decades, but no more, I have now promised myself.” I continued, “The abuse only increased by double and the tolerance has reduced by half. To me, my only support are my 3 kids.”

“Do you even know what they tell me –‘You better die rather than leave this home!’—I keep hearing this warning from time to time from his family , Every time I go to them with a new scar or a new fresh wound, they yet only disapprove my decision to part ways and suggest I rather I die. They are literally prompting me towards suicide.”

“What should I do?” I thought to myself while I was silently crying in the corner of my room yesterday, the only safe haven that was left.

Just then the door of my heaven started to shake and tremble, and so did I.

The heartless creature was banging the door again, this time in day broad light.

Prior to this, the door only banged at night when everyone else was off to sleep or when nobody was home. But yesterday was different, and I am sure it was the alcohol that didn’t let him remember whether it was day or night.

“Are you gonna open this fucking door, or should I slam it to pieces?” he shouted at top of his voice.

The banging noise and his screams was bound to be heard upstairs and even outdoors, but no one came to my rescue. I waited in hope for someone to stop him but in vain. I finally got up and dragged my trembling body to open the feeble door which was on the verge of falling apart.

I disheartenedly opened the latch and at the blink of an eye, he leapt onto me, hitting me left and right with his cold long hands, he then pulled my hairs and threw me on the floor like I was a piece of paper.

His drunk self didn’t know what he was doing, and my only saviour, my kids were all at school.

I was left at his mercy. While I was lying on the floor without a drop of energy to get up, I feared if he was going to burn my back again like he did the other day with the hot kitchen grill rod, or gonna try attacking me with the knife, just like last night.

Before I could even gather my energy to get up from the floor, he slammed the door closed behind him, leaped onto me, lifted my dress, and started to rape me. Marital rape! Its not a myth, and I have known it for years now, only if my family or so-called family would ever know it. I had given up already by then.

When he was done, he got up, slammed the door open and left the room. I was glad it was all over, only if I knew it was just the first dose of the day.

Although I had no hopes, but somewhere deep down I desperately wished that someone would come to me, and ask me if I were alright and if I needed any dressing for my wounds from yesterday and the day before and before.

But, as it was known and expected, no one dared to intervene in our “personal matters” not even his parents or siblings.

I had gathered some energy and guts to walk out of the room, dragged myself to the kitchen, got my hands on some bread and stuffed it a quick as I could into my mouth before he could set his eyes back on me.

Only if I was lucky enough! He saw me while I was walking out of the kitchen and ran towards me holding my neck with his palms, almost trying to choke me.

But I have years to go before I die, and so to rescue, my daughter of 17 entered the scene, with her school bag on her shoulders, steeped into the house and she was greeted with one of the most horrific moments her young eyes would ever see. Her father almost trying to choke her mother to death.

She looked into my eyes and I looked into hers. It was like telepathy, and without being able to utter a single word as I was being choked, she heard all that I had to say. She didn’t even drop down her bag and left the house. My husband saw that she had seen him doing what he should not have done, and he also saw the rage in her eyes before she left. He must have guessed what was coming, and there was an immediate change in temperament, he left my sight and went inside his room as if nothing had just happened at all.

I was anxious and scared, terrified, and glad all at the same time.

The second’s hand on the clock ticked so slow, that it seemed slower than the time when he would hit me and rape me.

And then in about an hour, I heard the siren of the jeep, and I could get all the vibes that its gonna be over soon, for good.

In just a matter of moment, my daughter walked in with 3 constables and an inspector.

“where is the man?” they asked me as I opened the door for them.

“He is in the room, perhaps sleeping or at least pretending to, “I blurted.”

They stormed into the room, pulled him by his arms while he still pretended to sleep.

Get up! They ordered.

“I am sleeping, “he dared to tell them. And that was it.

It was enough for the police to drag him by his collar, “sleep all you want in jail”, they laughed while pushing him into the police jeep.

“And that is when the atrocities finally got over”, I concluded to the attorney.

“Can you finally assist me in getting this behind me for good?”, I added.

Her water-filled eyes and the vertical nodding on her head reassured it to me that I will finally have justice in life for myself and my kids. 

February 02, 2021 09:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.