0 comments

Crime Suspense

As a freelance writer, my income was always unpredictable. One month I'd be rolling in cash, and the next I'd be scraping by on ramen noodles and tap water. I was used to the feast-or-famine cycle, but I never expected that a single Craigslist purchase would have such a profound impact on my life.

It all started when I decided to buy a used exercise bike. I'd been meaning to get in shape for months, but I couldn't afford a gym membership. So when I saw an ad for a barely-used bike at a fraction of the retail price, I jumped at the chance.

The seller was a middle-aged man named Dave, who lived on the other side of town. He seemed friendly enough over the phone, and we arranged to meet in a parking lot near his apartment complex.

When I arrived, Dave was already there, unloading the bike from the back of his truck. He was taller than I expected, with salt-and-pepper hair and a wide smile. He showed me the bike and let me test it out, and everything seemed to be in good working order.

We chatted for a few minutes about our respective jobs and hobbies, and I found Dave to be an interesting and engaging conversationalist. Before I knew it, an hour had passed, and I was late for a meeting with a client.

I quickly handed over the cash and loaded the bike into the trunk of my car, thanking Dave for his time. As I drove away, I felt a twinge of guilt for being so late to my appointment, but I brushed it off. I had a new exercise bike, and I was excited to start my fitness journey.

The next few days were a blur of sore muscles and sweaty workouts. I pushed myself harder than I ever had before, and I could feel myself getting stronger with each passing day. But as the week went on, I noticed something strange happening.

My phone stopped ringing. Emails went unanswered. Even my closest friends seemed to be avoiding me.

At first, I assumed it was just a fluke. Maybe my clients were busy with other projects, or my friends were going through their own stuff. But as the days turned into weeks, I started to worry.

I tried reaching out to people, but no one seemed to have time for me. I even went to a few networking events, hoping to drum up some new business, but no one was interested in hiring me.

It wasn't until I ran into an old friend at the grocery store that I started to piece together what was happening. She was polite but distant, and when I asked her if everything was okay, she hesitated before finally admitting that she'd heard some rumors about me.

Apparently, Dave had been telling people that I was a flake who never showed up on time and didn't take my work seriously. He'd even gone so far as to contact a few of my clients and badmouth me behind my back.

I was stunned. I'd never done anything to Dave to deserve this kind of treatment. All I'd done was buy an exercise bike from him and have a friendly conversation.

But as I thought about it more, I realized that the bike purchase was just the beginning. Dave had somehow managed to worm his way into every aspect of my life, from my career to my friendships to my romantic relationships.

I started digging deeper, and I soon discovered that Dave had a reputation in our town for being a gossip and a troublemaker. He'd burned bridges with dozens of people over the years, and he seemed to take pleasure in spreading rumors and causing drama.

I felt sick to my stomach. I'd always prided myself on being a good judge of character, but I'd been completely taken in by Dave's charm and charisma. And now, I was paying the price.

One day, as I was wiping down the handlebars of the exercise bike after a particularly grueling workout, I noticed something strange. There was a small, black object wedged into the crevice between the handlebars.

I squinted at it, trying to figure out what it was. It almost looked like a miniature camera.

My heart pounding, I carefully pried the object out of the bike and examined it more closely. Sure enough, it was a hidden camera, with a small LED light that indicated it was still recording.

I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. Dave had been spying on me, using the exercise bike as a way to keep tabs on my every move.

I immediately called the police, and they launched an investigation into Dave's activities. They discovered that he had been using the hidden camera to record not just me, but dozens of other people who had bought items from him on Craigslist.

The police confiscated the camera and arrested Dave on charges of illegal surveillance. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to six months in jail.

But even after Dave was behind bars, the damage had been done. I'd lost clients, friends, and even a romantic partner because of his lies and rumors. It took months of damage control to repair the relationships that Dave had damaged. I had to explain to my clients that I wasn't the unreliable flake that Dave had made me out to be, and I had to rebuild trust with my friends who had heard the rumors.

In the meantime, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched. Every time I heard a noise outside my apartment or saw a stranger on the street, my heart would start racing. I was constantly looking over my shoulder, wondering if Dave had somehow found a way to continue his surveillance.

It wasn't until months later, when I was moving out of my apartment, that I found out the truth. As I was disassembling the exercise bike, I noticed that one of the handlebars was hollow. I reached inside, and my fingers brushed against something hard and plastic.

I pulled out a small, rectangular device that looked like a memory card. My hands shaking, I inserted it into my laptop and opened the files.

Sure enough, it was footage of me working out on the exercise bike. But there was something else, too. Footage of me at home, cooking dinner, watching TV, and even sleeping. Dave had somehow managed to install a hidden camera inside the handlebar of the bike, where it had gone undetected all this time.

I felt violated and sick to my stomach. The thought of Dave watching me in my most intimate moments was too much to bear.

I immediately called the police and turned over the memory card as evidence. They reopened the case against Dave, and he was charged with additional counts of illegal surveillance.

In the end, Dave was sentenced to five years in prison for his crimes. And while I was relieved that he was finally behind bars, I knew that the scars he'd left on my life would take much longer to heal.

But as I slowly rebuilt my career, my friendships, and my sense of security, I knew that I had one thing that Dave could never take away from me: my strength. The strength to overcome adversity, the strength to trust again, and the strength to never let someone like him into my life again.

June 20, 2023 14:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.