7 comments

General

- You are two hours late, dear. I was just starting to think about leaving as I have drank one cup of coffee, ate one  doughnut, a roast beef sandwich  and smoked four extra-minted cigarettes – said a beautiful lady dressed in red high heels and some little patience ‘ by the way she used to shake her legs, looking at the watch every five seconds.

- Sorry, dear, but I thought you were going to get mad at me, I know I am late – said that brilliant doctor , who just arrived at the meeting he had with his girlfriend the lady in red.

- So ? – asked her, taking some car keys from her purse.

- That I came to see you and talk with you. – trying to look nice.

- But now, who is sorry is me, as I have an emergency call, in pediatrics intensive care. J have to go. If you have any free time tomorrow or if you have some time to give we can meet again - she said, mad.

- Well, I will call you tomorrow , we can meet at the same time, in the same place – trying to be redeemed of his constant absence. 

- Fine.

Both left, kissing each other – just one! The baby is going to die !

- Ok, ok. Go.

She went to see the baby.

And he went back to his medical office  where ten people were waiting for him.

She, worked the whole night.

He, left the office at ten, but had to go back to the hospital where he used to work.

The night fastly became day.

- What if I invite her for lunch ? – he asked himself, as he saw that there were little number of patients waiting for him 

Decided, he sent a message for her : would you like to have lunch with me ?

- Fine. At twelve o’clock. 

- Done.

So, midday came back again.

He was waiting for her, in the same cafeteria as the day before, sitting in the same table.

He took a look at the watch : it was ten past twelve. 

“ Fine. We still have time. By the way, where is the waitress ? - and he called her.

- Would you like to order, sir?

- Yes , give me a glass of coke. I am waiting for somebody else.

- Fine. I will bring it right now.

So she did.

He started to look at the watch.

And also started to look for her with his anxious eyes .

But of all girls that passed by, she was the only one that used to wear high heels.

And he started to look for the heels of every girl.

But none was hers.

He took his phone, and called her.

She answered.

- I am a bit busy right now with that baby in the intensive care. I will be late.

So, as she was going to be late, and he was in a restaurant  he decided to ask for the menu to the waitress.

- Right, would you like to order, - she asked again, politely.

- Yes I think so.

- Here is the menu.

- Thank you. 

And he looked at the menu, and decided to have a cup.of coffee, a toadtveef sandwich and a pack of cigarettes. 

- In five minutes, please – said the waitress, giving him the cigarettes first.

He gladly opened the box, without even realizing the awful pic behind the pack, showing premature baby.

Looked again at his watch, and noticed that it was twenty past twelve.

- Is she coming? How late will she be?

And his phone rang.

- I will be there in half an hour – he said to the patient that was looking for him.

The waitress brought him the sandwich and the coffee. 

He started to eat.

When he was finishing his meal, he saw some wheels coming quickly 

It was his girlfriend. 

They kissed, as usual.

She sat down, beside him.

- Would you like some coffee? ,he asked, smiling.

- I would.

So, he asked the waitress for the coffee. 

- Sandwich ?, the waitress asked.

- Yes, please- she answered smiling.

He looked at his watch again. 

Sorry, dear, but I have to leave right now. I have a surgery.

She looked at him.

- Fine. When you have time to meet me, call me – she said, upset.

So, the same situation happened repeatedly during the whole week.

Till Sunday came.

- And nobody is working – she thought, thinking about having a nice meeting with him, at least that day.

- That’s a lie! – he said to her on the phone - we have to attend a meeting with the director board of the hospital. The elections are coming, so I am supposed to be there, as they want me to be one of the candidates for the board.

Would you like to come with me? - he gently asked her.

She did not answer.

She already have participated in one of that kind of meetings before.

It was really boring – she remembered, respecting the event with her wrinkled eyes.

- Can’t we meet after that ?

- After the meeting? Well, I think so. But I am going to tell you that the meeting will probably last the whole day.

- So we meet at night. 

- Fine.

She spent the whole day looking at the watch.

He, spent the whole day watching at the watch. 

It was nine o’clock at night, and she fell asleep, tired a over the books she was reading .

And her phone rang.

She woke up immediately. 

- Fine, I will be there in half an hour – she said, looking at the watch, and thinking that “ it was not him".

So, she left home, and went to the hospital. 

And stayed there the whole night, on surgery.

She looked at the watch, and at the messages she received .

None was his.

So, she said to herself: why do I have to keep waiting, if he is not going to come? I know this and I lived this too many times.

Time up, honey.

And she left home.

As soon as she leaves her house, he showed up, drank and a collar full of pink lips.

She got mad

Made-up but you do have time for drinking and for girls, don’t you ? , she asked him.

- Sorry, dear – he humbly said, ashamed of what he had done.

- Yes,I know that you are busy , and that you are always late, and you have no  time for me at all.

But, tell me : is this a relationship or not?

I don’t think it is – she finished the talking, with her eyes full of tears.

The real truth always hurts.

-

-

-

-

July 07, 2020 22:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Deborah Angevin
22:37 Jul 15, 2020

A wonderful story, I enjoyed reading it, Sandra! Would you mind checking my recent story out, "Orange-Coloured Sky?" Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Len Mooring
23:06 Jul 09, 2020

Cute phrasing at times. I think English is a second language for you.

Reply

Batool Hussain
13:17 Jul 12, 2020

But this story is so good. Wonderful!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
18:37 Jul 09, 2020

Enjoyed the story. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:06 Jul 17, 2020

Great story--I loved the recurring details, like the heels and sandwiches. The end was so sad but also such a reality for so many people. Good job :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Patricia Green
14:28 Jul 17, 2020

A bit patchy, and your English needs improving, but overall the idea is there and could be pulled into a very good story. Good luck with your writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Batool Hussain
13:17 Jul 12, 2020

Mind checking out my new story and giving your views on it? Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.