0 comments

General

Mirra is her name. At first glance, she's a cold, introverted, stuck up person. She carries herself with so much confidence, so much that it seems ignorant. She never talks to anyone, never approaches them. But she's not exactly mean. She's polite and tries not to hurt people's feelings, just shuts them down. She had a rough start to life, losing both of her parents and living with an emotionally unavailable uncle. Mirra mostly focuses on school, as she has all her life. 

Despite being so reserved, Mirra does have friends, though few. Caine is her best friend, they took an interest in her and bothered her until she liked them. This only worked because Caine was an interesting person. They understood Mirra and just kind of dealt with her in a way that she couldn’t help but appreciate. That’s why Caine will always be her best friend. 

She also has a girlfriend who she counts as both a lover and a best friend. Her name is Adira. At first, Mirra didn’t like her at all. Her bubbly personality didn’t sit well with Mirra at first, and she was tired of her. But of course, Adira was too sweet for Mirra to resist, so they started dating and have loved each other since. 

Finally, there’s Vinjeon. Mirra can’t quite consider him a friend. He has done things in the past to hurt her, and though she forgave him, it’s hard to see him as anything more than an acquaintance. He’s friends with Caine and Adira, though, so she has to hang out with him. They get along fine, but they aren’t close. 

These people are pretty well versed in the world of Mirra. They know quite a bit about her, obviously some more than others. In their eyes, Mirra isn’t too exciting. Her personality is tasteful of course, but she doesn't have much of a life outside of school and the occasional date. She doesn't seem bored with her life, either. Everyone knows Mirra isn’t one to indulge in superficial things. 

She does have a few things that she’s really good at. Mirra does like art, and sometimes to calm down she’ll paint or draw. She’s pretty good at it, too. Oh, and back to literature, she’s an amazing writer. She loves to write all the time, for school or just for fun. It helps her feel better and understand herself. She doesn't publish anything, but she would if she got the opportunity to do so. Otherwise Mirra really just studies and goes to school. Or so everybody thought.

Mirra has one secret hobby. It’s not anything bad, don’t worry. It’s also not embarrassing either...actually, I’m not really sure why she’s never told anyone… Anyways, Mirra’s secret hobby is...gardening! Yes, that’s right, Mirra loves plants. And growing them, and taking care of them and loving them.  When it’s warm out, she grows them outside. These ones are usually edible, fruits and vegetables and such. Flowers, too, ones that are good for butterflies and bees and other nice bugs. She loves them all. When it gets colder, she brings her perennials and such inside the house, if she can. Even when the weather is nice, she keeps plenty of house plants. It seems odd that no one ever noticed the jungle that is Mirra’s house, but it’s simply because no one goes over there. It’s always Mirra going to someone else’s house. Anyways, Mirra is pretty good with plants. She knows all of their common and scientific names. She does lots and lots of research on most of them before she gets them, and if it’s an impulse buy, she does it immediately after. She knows what type of lighting is best for each plant, and where the plant should be to receive said lighting. She knows about the different pots and containers that the plants do best in. She also loves propagating, which is taking a cutting of the mother plant and using one of various techniques to grow another plant. Yeah, all that nice nerdy stuff. Mirra is an expert when it comes to plants. Keeping them alive, growing them, everything. But, nobody knows. 

Sometimes Mirra thinks about what would happen if someone were to find out. Honestly, it would differ between her two (three) acquaintances. 

Caine would probably tease her at first. They’d call her a nerd, and make fun of her for naming them all. But then they’d be really interested. They loved plants themself, so Mirra’s collection would probably impress them. They would probably offer to take a few off her hands as well. Of course she would refuse, but only jokingly. Caine can have as many plants (not really) as they want.

Adira would be surprised. Keeping plants wouldn’t seem like the type of thing Mirra would do. Adira would ask lots of questions. She’d wonder how Mirra was able to maintain all of them, especially with her being in school and all. She would pick out her favorite ones and have Mirra tell her about them. Mraa might offer a plant to Adira, but Adira knows that she’d kill it a bit too fast, so she’d refuse. But overall all of this would make Adira fall a little more in love with her. 

Now Vinjeon… let’s be for real here, he wouldn’t find out by himself. He’d probably be told by one of the others, or overhear it. It would strike him as interesting, though he wouldn’t bother asking about it. He wouldn’t care much about the plants themselves, but just the idea of Mirra keeping them. Vin would be impressed by her commitment to them all, Mirra in his mind would be too preoccupied to be bothered by such a trivial hobby. But otherwise he’d be quite indifferent.

As for other people, they’d think it was odd. Out of character for the cold, uncaring Mirra. But I mean, who else would really care? They just mind their business. 

Obviously this is all hypothetical. No one knows yet, and nobody's going to find out anytime soon. This will just continue to be Mirra’s secret talent, secret for no real reason at all.


November 15, 2019 14:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.