1 comment

Speculative

Author's Note: This story is Part Two from my previous story, "One day you will know" Anyway, enjoy!


I drove on and on. My mind was buzzing. I sniffed. I was going to Laurel’s house. My best friend always understood me. Maybe I could stay at hers for a day, keep her company. She was always great at cheering people up. Maybe she could cheer me up.


I was so absorbed in my thoughts, I didn’t see a lady waving at me, in the middle of the road. I almost crashed into her. Who would value their life that little? I went to give the lady a piece of my mind.


“Are you mad!” I said. “Why in the world would you do that?”


“That’s no way to talk to your boss, Sara!”


And then I recognized her. Rhea Will, my great aunt. I groaned inwardly.


“You’re not my boss any more. Now go find someone else to take a lift on, granny.”


Rhea stared at me.


“How dare you I’m still young. I haven’t even married!”


“That’s because no one wants you,” I said. I was irritated and wanted to quickly get to Laurel’s. I still had a long way to go and my ex-boss wasn’t helping.


She stared at me.


“If you give me a ride, I’ll tell you a secret,” she said.


I was intrigued. I was always curious. Maybe she wanted to tell me something about Grandpa? Without hesitation, I opened the car door for her.


“Where do you want to go?” I asked as she sat in the front seat.


“My house. I have a special guest there waiting for me.”


~~


When I reached there, Rhea got down and before she could leave I stopped her.


“Um, so what’s the secret?” I asked her.


“Oh,” she giggled. “I’m your Grandma’s sister.”


I rolled my eyes. “I already know that-”


“How?” asked Rhea. “Did Digby tell you?”


I nodded.


“I must have a little chat with him. Can you drive me to his house?”


“Fine get in but I’m leaving you at the gate.”


~~


I dropped Rhea at the gate and then I saw I quickly left.


It was too late now to get to Laurel’s so I just went back to my own house. I pulled out an assortment of mixed sweets, mint chocolate ice cream and sat in front of the TV mindlessly spooning ice cream from the tub into my mouth.


I was alone, I had no job, I had no idea about what was going on with my Grandpa and I felt sick after eating the whole tub of ice cream.


The next morning, I woke up on the couch with the TV still running. I felt bad about yesterday. Maybe I could start again? Try again to get a job? But then something came in the post. A letter. I opened it and after reading it, I felt sad, angry, guilty and terrified. Grandpa was dead.


~~


I drove to Fields Burial Grounds. His funeral was going on. I hid behind a tree and watched. Rhea was there.


“Ahem, where is my sister?” she asked the priest.


“She’s dead,” came the surprising answer.


“Did she die now or-”


“A few months ago,”


“Why did no one tell me this-”


She broke off with sobs.


“Digby John left Kenny Stone all his savings,” said the priest and a man came to him and took a bill.


“Digby John left Rhea Will his silver BMC,” said the priest and Rhea forgot her tears and snatched the bill. “A new car at last!”


“Digby John left Sara Sterling the key to his house,” said the priest and I froze. That was me. Was I just supposed to go get the bill?


“Sara Sterling?”


I took deep breaths and went to the priest and took the bill. Then, I sat on one of the seats. Everyone wondered where I had come from but I tried to look away from their stares.


~~


After the funeral, I gave the bill to some people and they handed me Grandpa’s house key. I used it to open the door. I looked around. The house was neat. I went up the stairs and I tripped on a coat. Clothes were everywhere, and it looked like part of the ceiling came down.


I opened Grandpa’s room. And there was blood on his favourite cream carpet. I found a letter addressed to me on his bed.


Dear Sara, it’s time you learned the truth. I got you fired because there was someone dangerous where you worked. They were hunting you but they didn’t find you yet so I thought perhaps it was best if you didn’t work there anymore. I didn’t want to tell because the One said he would get me if I did. I knew the truth had to come out sooner or later so I told you in this letter but as soon as I did, he got me. I truly am sorry for everything. As well as not telling you about you’re great aunt.

Love,

Grandp𝒶.


The end of “Grandpa” looked like it was scratched on. The rest of the letter was scribbled hurriedly.


“But who’s the One?” I murmured out loud.


“I’m the One” came a voice behind me.


It was the manager from Fast Fries.


~~


I grabbed Grandpa’s lampshade and hit him hard on his head. He blinked. When it hit his head it made a clang. Like he was made of metal.


“Why are you hunting me?” I asked him.


“Because I want your wings?” he said and advanced towards me.


“What wings?”


He laughed. “So you don’t know about them?” he says with a smile as he aims a punch at my head. It was only luck that I ducked as I grabbed his foot. He fell down and got back up as quickly. He smashed a window with his fist.


“Since you don’t have your wings yet, you can fall and die,”


I was pushed off and fell in what seemed like forever. I opened my eyes and I saw huge brown feathers on my back. I couldn’t control them and fell into a muddy puddle. Shaking the mud off, I zoomed back to Grandpas bedroom. The wings obeyed where I wanted to go. It was an amazing feeling.


“Uh oh,” said the fraud when he saw me.


I picked him up and carried him away to a jungle, dropped him there, and went back home.


There was a little problem. I didn’t know how to get my wings back into my body but after a few days I found out how to. I cleared my stuff and moved into Grandpa’s house after fixing up some windows and sweeping up some floors. I called Laurel to stay at my house so we didn’t have to be so far away from each other.


It was riding a bicycle, having wings. Really easy to learn. Well, not that easy. Anyway, I don’t have to worry about getting a job now because I’ve already got one. As a superhero.

September 10, 2021 04:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Thanesh Kumar
10:58 Jan 15, 2022

Okay, this is actually like really good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.