1 comment

Creative Nonfiction

People say, in the city you can never be lonely. Was that true? Well I was about to find out.

I stumble my way awkwardly to the line of my flight, trying hard not to bump into anyone. I was already failing and I hadn't even gotten to the city yet! As I board the flight, I notice that someone is sitting in my seat. I clumsily walk my way over there, tripping over everyone's bags, and mustering up courage to tell the person, that was my seat! Not his.

I get to where my seat is and try to tell the person to move. I try to tell him to move out of my seat but instead, I squeak!

He is in my seat just dying laughing and anyone who saw it was laughing too. I get tired of being laughed at so I try to speak again. "Excuse me sir, I believe this is my seat that you are sitting in."

He says, "Am I sitting in it?"

I say yes.

"Well then I guess it is my seat. Now move along, and find another seat baby bird."

I quickly go to one of the open seats on the plane and sit down before anyone else has time to get there. I pull my hoodie over my head and before I know it I'm asleep.

I wake up to the pilot announcing, "All passengers, the plane has landed and here we are at Atlanta, Georgia! Mind your step on the way out, and be sure to get your bags!"

I stand up and get my bags out of the over-head carrier, and start my way to the steps. As I'm walking down the steps, I see the beautiful scenery of Atlanta!

I feel lucky since there is a train station about one mile from here. Once I get to the station, I realize it's about six in the morning. I left at five and got there at six. I got there pretty quickly considering how fast I am.

I board the train, making sure every thing is with me that I need. One of the workers on the train escorts me to my little seat where I will be sitting for the next four hours. Great.

I'm sitting in this little seat waiting for the train to stop until I check my watch. We are thirty-two minutes away from my stop.

Someone passes me to go to the front where the train director is. They don't come back out. People behind me are talking about Christmas time and how bad their gifts were last year.

Christmas is coming. It's August and I have got a little bit of money saved up, but I can't use any of it because I have to pay for rent, food, and other things when I get to where I am going.

Finally! We're here. I get off the train and the city is buzzing. It's rush hour. I have never been in a city before, and all of this is amazing! I take the bus to my new apartment and there is my landlord. We talk a little, I gave him the money, and he left.

I walk into my new apartment and it is almost perfect. There is already furniture here and it's in pristine condition. All I need now is to put my belongings away.

As I am putting my stuff in their places, I realize that I'm all alone in this big city. I finish putting my stuff in their places and head to bed.

The bed is beautiful and the sheets are too. Everything is so soft! I slip into my pajamas and turn of the lights. When I slip into the covers and lay my head onto the pillow, I almost instantly fall asleep. It has been a long two days.

I wake up and look at the clock. Shoot! It's almost seven o'clock! I've got to get to work. I take the bus to work and I was almost late.

I signed up to be a volunteer in the homeless shelter so I was determined not to be late. When I finally get there I get my I.D badge and instructions. I had to make sure everyone ate, had a place to sleep, and didn't hurt their self or anyone else. Pretty easy, and I got paid fifty dollars every two weeks!

I finish my shift and try to catch a taxi. No luck. I walk to the bus station and I ride home from there. The bus seems to be the best way of transport for me. I'll ride the bus again tomorrow if I can.

I've starting calling the city home. I have only been here a couple days. I don't think that is good. Is it? Oh well, that is what I'm calling it. Home.

Two months later:

I quit the shelter because I got a job offer from the hospital. I felt bad quitting the shelter so, I donate money to the shelter. I have donated enough so much money that they put in shower stalls in there!

It is five o'clock in the morning, and I have got to get to work in thirty minutes. I take a ten minute shower, and get into my scrubs. I walk out the door and walk to my bus stop. The bus is late today.

I get to work and walk into my dorm looking room. I get my lab coat on then my I.D badge that has my face on it, says my name, and my job position. I'm an intern.

Today my chief of medicine will give me a patient. She gives me the patients chart so I know everything. It says white male, Patrick Morning, thirty-four, six foot-two inches, in for blood drawing and physical. It has a picture of him in there too.

I am in the waiting room and I call out his name, so he comes into the back where we have all the equipment. I sit him down in the chair and put a tie around his arm so I can draw blood.

I take out a syringe and poke it into his arm. Once it has enough blood I put it in a testing tube with his name on it. Next I take him to another person for his physical. My shift is now over.

All of my colleagues are going out tonight, maybe they'll invite me! I walk over to one of my colleagues cars and ask them if I can come. They say no, so I head to the bus stop.

I'm home. I sit on my couch and watch television. I try to convince my mind that I didn't want to go out anyway, but I did. Even though I am surrounded by people in the city and work, I feel lonely.

If I am surrounded by people why am I do I feel this way? I don't have any people to hang out with, to laugh with. A long hot shower will make me feel better. I stayed in the shower for about thirty minutes. Sometimes I sing in the shower to make myself feel better so I don't do anything stupid. I always find myself singing love, and depressing songs.

It is ten o'clock in the night, but tomorrow I don't have work. I head to bed after my shower.

I sleep until nine o'clock then I get up and meet the day. I walk to the town square, and I see everyone has friends with them, or their love. Everyone has someone, except for me.

I guess I will always be lonely. I head back home and sit down at my table and eat a microwavable dinner. I had just finished when I got a knock at my door. "I'm coming!" I holler as I race down the hallway trying to get to the door.

I open the door and here stands a little boy, his eyes as red as blood, tears rolling down his face.

"What's wrong?" I ask as he sits on the ground in front of the apartment, still crying.

"I lost my mommy!"

"Don't worry, I'll help you find her. Can you come inside for a minute?"

"I don't think so. Mommy said stay away from strangers that tell me to come inside."

"Well sweetheart, you have to come in side while I call the cops to tell them that you are here, that way your mommy can find you!"

He says "Okay, I guess."

I bring him inside and he takes a nap on the couch while I call the cops. They say that they will put out an amber alert for him so his mother could find him.

He has to stay with me for about five days before his mom contacts police saying that he is her child.

His mother comes to my apartment and gets him but before they go, I give him a big hug and tell him that I'm gonna miss him. His mother gives me their address and tells me that I am welcome anytime that I would like. Then they leave.

For five days, I found a friend. Now I know, I have a friend, and I don't feel alone anymore. Now me, his mom, and him are friends now! His mother has introduced me to some of her friends too! His mother threw a thank-you party for me too, and I met some of her friends and they befriended me too, I even met my boyfriend there too!

I thought I was always going to be alone. However, fate said no to that. I am not alone.

September 12, 2020 00:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

ALYSSA GRIMMETT
00:27 Sep 12, 2020

Hope you guys like it and feel free to comment on anything!! . . ~ :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.