3 comments

Inspirational Sad Kids

It was another humid and hot September day in California. There wasn't to much to do, especially in the area we lived. We lived in San Pedro in the desert. Typical day for me we consist of, exploring the desert with my dog Cody. Hanging around the house and just being a normal kid. We didn't have it all but we had enough. Life wasn't the best but we were happy. Or so that is what I thought, until today everything changed. I'm not exactly sure why and I don't know how. All I do know is in that late September day, my daddy the man he looked up to, the man I love so much walked away. I remember that day like it was yesterday, for after that day I was never the same. Six year old girl, wearing a pretty little pink and white dress, roller skating down our ramp.

Mom yelled from the door, ok kids come on we got to go. My brother's my parents and myself all claimed into the car. I didn't know exactly what was going on, but I knew it wasn't anything good. As mom and dad were talking up front, dad kept looking back at me in the review mirror. Which wasn't anything new, but this time it was different. His face looked different, and there was one small tear running down his face. Him and mom were talking very low so I couldn't hear what was said. But from the way my heart and stomach felt, I know it was not going to be good. After 45 minutes we finally made it to the bus station. We all got out and stood around the car. Giving hugs and saying goodbye. Then few minutes later they walked away stopping at the bus door, my dad turned and looked at me while saying"I love you, I'll see you soon". As we enter the doors I yelled back I love you too dad, as I felt my heart break into a million little pieces. The ride back was quite, mom nor I had a word to say. All I could do is sit and wonder why. Why did they leave, what had I done. It wasn't going to be until years later when the truth finally came out.

Few days had passed since they left, and life was very very lonely. I felt alone even though my mom was there she wasn't. Many nights I found my mother passed out drunk on the back porch. It was normal so of course I was use to it. But before I had my dad or brother's, now I had to handle life on my own. The days seem to drag by, and the nights got even more scarier. Not only was I dealing with being alone, it seemed my parents, or at least my mom had made some people very mad. One night we came home and our house was broken into and everything gone threw. I'm not sure what they was looking for, or if they even found it. All I did know was I was scared and wanted my daddy, and I would fall asleep every night crying. One day while at school, which school was my outlet. Me and my two friends, stood in front of our 3rd grade class and sang the song, "Do you love me, check yes or no". It was wonderful we had no care in the world. At that moment I was happy, blocking out every thing in the world. Still to this day 26 years later I can feel the joy I had that day. I will not ever for get how I felt that day or what happened later that day.

The phone rang, teacher picked it up talked a few minutes and then hung up. Elisabeth she said to me, you are being called to the principal office, someone here to pick you up. So I gathered my things and walked to the door, I stopped and turned around. I don't know why I did cause I never had before. But I had a feeling come over me like before. As I turned around I looked at my friend's and said goodbye and told them I loved them. It reminded me of the day at the bus station just 2 months ago. Entering the office I could see my aunt standing and talking with the principal. I thought to myself what she doing here, we never see her. Well apparently she was there to pick me up and the principal said it was okay so we left. Once again I felt something wasn't right but I did as i was asked. I sat in the front seat, with it laying all the way back so no one could see me. It wasn't until getting to her house that I was allowed to sit up. We walked in and I immediately went to play with my cousin. We are the same age and hadn't seen each other in 2 years. Later that night after my bath my aunt cut my hair, and told me I wasn't going to be going back to school and that I'll see my dad soon. I didn't ask any questions all I knew was I couldn't wait to see my dad. About a week or passed, and daddy still want there. And come to think about it I hadn't seen my mom either. Finally three days later, my mom showed up with lots of bags filled with food. She came in and said I got to go they gonna call the cops on me, dropped the food and left. Once again I was alone, with my heart breaking and not understanding, why why did they leave me. I coped with life and got through it day by day. I didn't ask any questions and I didn't let anyone know I was hurting. Cause to me it seemed every one would leave sooner or later. I just blocked it all out.

Few months later my mom showed up at the house, but this time was different. Mom was different and looked different. She walked in and grab my hand, and says come on Elisabeth time to go see your dad. I jumped with joy and ran out side. We got in the car and drove off. Hour or so later we showed up at one of their friends house. Mom explained we were getting ready here and then he would drive us to the airport. Mom had bought me a new outfit and even did my hair. Later that day we left and got on the airplane. Of course my mom ended up passing out. But I didn't care, I knew it be better soon. Ten hours later we landed at the airport in New York. As I got if the plane and enter the airport. I saw my daddy standing with his arms wide open ready to embrace me. I ran as fast as I could into his arms, screaming and crying, don't ever leave me again. I'm sorry for what ever I did. But please don't leave me daddy, I need you and love you. He just held me and reassured me I had nothing to worry about, he would never be away from me ever again

January 31, 2021 03:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
22:02 Feb 10, 2021

I thought you did a great job writing this story. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Sara Johnson
18:30 Feb 11, 2021

Thanks, this is only my second time writing short story with a prompt usually I write poetry based on everything I'm going through but I really enjoyed this it broadens my writing

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:29 Feb 11, 2021

You're welcome, I find writing on here to be a good learning experience. It allows me to practice my creative writing. I loved your bio description too. This is a cruel world we live in, and I'm glad that you can channel that into your writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.