2 comments

Drama Science Fiction

Fragments of ceramic and hot coffee fly every which way as a collective gasp echoed through the living room. Roxanne stands in silence with her husband’s hand tightly clenched within hers. Her eyes wide; her mouth agape as she and her husband Terry watch the oblong monolith slowly enter the atmosphere and hover ominously above The White House.

“T-this can't be real, ” said Terry, running trembling fingers through his hair.

“Shhh, Babe. I can't hear what they're saying, ” shouts Roxanne as her eyes refuse to blink. Terry turns the volume up on the TV as the couple stand in disbelief. Watching the football stadium-sized object drench the capital in darkness.

“W-we’re here live in front of the W-white house and... My God, I-I can't... I’m sorry, ladies and gentlemen, it is no longer a question of are we are alone, ” said the reporter, “ we are not alone.”

“Terry! You’re squeezing my hand!” said Roxanne as she rips her hand out of the vice-like grip of her husband.

“We have to assume t-the craft and whatever’s inside must be benevolent. The ship has been floating above the White House for about an hour and, as far as we can tell, no sign of hostility, ” said the reporter. Both Roxanne and Terry sigh in relief as their eyes continue to stay fixed on the broadcast.

“Rox, terry another channel. I-I want to see what people are say-” before Terry can finish his thought, Roxanne changes the channel. She stops on a smartly dressed woman standing in front of a presidential seal. Director Adele Peterson is displayed on screen below the stout woman.

“We have attempted communication with the craft and as yet, have had no success, ” said the Director.

“Holy shit, Rox. What the hell is-” Roxanne thrusts her hand in front of Terry’s face.

“Babe, please I... Please, ” said Roxanne As she crosses her arms and begins to tap her foot nervously.

“What we do know is that this craft is indeed extraterrestrial in origin and, well, that's about all at this time, ” said the director.

Roxanne retrieves the remote from her husband’s hand and changes the channel. With glimpses of chaos in the streets and reporters both domestic and abroad frantically updating the world, Roxanne swiftly goes from channel to channel until finally stopping.

The President of the United States makes his way on stage. Standing in front of a large podium, his silver hair reflects the bright studio lights as he takes a large breath.

“My fellow Americans. I stand here before you, not only in disbelief but in awe, ” the President continues, “ we are witnessing the most monumental moment in human history.” As the President swallows loudly, he wipes the perspiration from his brow with a shaky hand and continues.

“Words can hardly express the magnitude of what’s happening, ” said The President, “ I'm sure you have questions and concerns... I uh, I always thought of myself as a man ready for anything.” The President places both his hands on the podium and hangs his head.

“Well, anything on this planet, “ said The President. Roxanne’s eyes continue to stay locked on the screen.

“Why do you think it's here? I mean, I d-don’t think... I don't know what to think, I guess, ” said Terry, blinking his eyes rapidly.

“What if this thing is going to attack?” asks Terry.

“Don’t say that, ” said Roxanne.

“Look, I'm just saying-” Roxanne interrupts.

“I know what you're saying and I'm asking you to stop, Terry, ” said Roxanne, “I’m having a hard enough time trying to make sense of all this without thinking that.” Terry glance over at his wife.

“But, I mean, what if-” Roxanne spins around.

“For Christ’s sake, Terry! I can't deal with your doom and gloom today, ” Roxanne continues, “What on God’s green earth would make you think that suggesting that whatever this thing is, its intentions are to eradicate us or whatever the hell, huh?”

Roxanne begins to pace around the room.

“Look, Rox, I'm just saying... Look, I'm scared, alright. Hell, I’m terrified, ” said Terry, “ I-I can't believe this is happening, you know?” Roxanne moves toward Terry. Placing her hands on his chest, Roxanne glances up at Terry.

“I know... I didn't mean to snap. I'm scared too, ” said Roxanne. The couple peer back at the TV as The President continues to address the people of the world.

“...I know some of you are frightened... and I can only imagine the thoughts running through your heads right now, ” The President continues, ” the very idea of extraterrestrial life has been the subject of book and TV for so long... Now, it's at our very doorstep... but we mustn't do anything that might-” The President is interrupted by the deafening rattle of otherworldly hydraulics.

“What the hell’s that noise?” asks Terry as the channel begins to distort. Roxanne fumbles with the remote as she clumsily switches back to the broadcast in front of The White House.

“It...It’s amazing! There's some sort of activity coming from the craft, “ said the reporter. Roxanne slowly grasps Terry’s hand as the couple views the broadcast.

“...I-It’s breathtaking. A-some sort of hatch seems to be opening, ” said the reporter.

Brilliant light spills out from the opening of the craft as Roxanne and Terry clench eachother’s hands with intensity. The couple’s eyes fill with tears as smiles slowly creep up their faces. Terry reaches his arm around Roxanne as the couple watch a small, grey-skinned being descend from the hovering craft and land on The White House lawn. The President exits The White House and makes his way to the front lawn. Taking a minute to compose himself as the large black eyes of the otherworldly visitor peer over at the leader of the free world.

The news crew back away as The President moves closer. With open arms, The President moves toward the small being.

“... I-I think everything’s going to be ok, ” said Terry as Roxanne continues to smile.

“Yea... Yeah, I think so, ” said Roxanne as the grey being on the TV extends his arms in front of the world.

End

February 06, 2021 16:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

13:18 Feb 18, 2021

An Ordinary Journalist-cum-Television's (Live Telecast) Reporter's disguisingly vague Description Encrypted in short in a dialog form. Not that much Interesting as it lacks any social or economic or Political, etc. Messages. Present A Further Better Short Story with vagueless messages.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Siobhan Mulalley
21:53 Feb 17, 2021

I enjoyed reading this. I like the way the protagonists are just normal people at home rather than someone directly involved like the newsreader, or maybe some military person. You could really feel the fear and awe of the main characters and I was really caught up in the Will they be friendly or out to destroy. I like that the end implies all is well but there is still the question left. I liked it. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.