1 comment

Romance Sad

“It doesn’t count if you’re already planning your defeat,” John said, annoyed.

“Of course it still counts,” Ken insisted. “I’m still going to talk to her, aren’t I?”

“But you won’t get anywhere with that attitude.”

“How do I know I even want to get somewhere with her?”

“Look at her,” John reasoned, “It’s worth a chance. And you are going to be single forever if you are waiting for the perfect person to just stroll into your life. Plus, she’s been giving you ‘come hither’ glances all evening.”

“Maybe I don’t have any problem being single,” Ken suggested. “And no one actually uses the phrase ‘come hither,” he added. 

“If that were true then you wouldn’t be here with me now,” John said, giving a meaningful look to his long time best friend. 

“Ok, I don’t want to be single,” Ken admitted. 

“Good, now go,” Ken shoved him off his bar stool.

Ken sighed and got to his feet, “Ok,” he said, straightening his shirt and smoothing his hair.

He could feel his heart pounding in his chest, he could feel his armpits sweating, he took a deep breath as he took the last couple steps to the table. At that table, sat two women. Both in their mid 30s, having sensible drinks and mundane conversation. The woman that John had convinced him was giving him glances was tucking her long wavy brown hair behind her ear. She was taking a sip of her rum and diet coke as her friend talked about some book she had started reading. 

They both looked up as Ken approached the table.

“Hi,” he said, weakly.

“Hi,” the friend said cheerfully, glancing at the other woman with a knowing grin.

“I’m Ken,” he said.

“Isabel,” said the friend, “This is Jessica,”

Jessica raised a hand in greeting and blushed.

“Nice to meet you, would you let me buy you your next drink?” Ken motioned to the nearly empty glass on the table.

“She’d love to,” Isabel answered for her. She took her drink off the table and stood up, motioning for Ken to take her place.”

Jessica shot her a ‘how dare you, I’m going to yell at you later for abandoning me’ look, but smiled at Ken.

“So,” Ken began, “What do you do?”

“I’m an accountant,” she answered. “It’s very boring. How about you?”

“I’m a plumber, so boring doesn’t even begin to cover it,” he chuckled.

“That sounds interesting,” she said. “Getting to see people’s homes and offering them a necessary service.”

“Well being an accountant doesn’t sound so bad,” he said. “People need someone to manage their money”

“I suppose,” she took a sip of her drink. “It pays the bills.”

“That’s a nice perk,” he said, “But I just snake drains for the love of the game. No money could possibly outweigh the feeling of ankle deep shit water.”

She giggled and nearly spit out her drink. She regained her composure and replied, “Of course, only the best ones go pro, it’s a pipe dream really.”

Ken laughed heartily, “I’m going to have to use that one.”

“It’s all yours,” she said, smiling. 

A waitress came and took their drink order. Ken ordered them an appetizer to share as well. They continued talking about the things you talk about when you first meet. How many siblings do you have? Ken none, Jessica, one younger sister. How do you feel about your parents? Ken, parents happily married and living a state away, Jessica, parents divorced but both remarried and amicable. Pets? Ken, a goldfish, Patrick, Jessica, a cat, Sprinkles. 

Isabel returned briefly to check on Jessica and asked if she wanted a ride home. Normal girl code. She assured her that she was fine and she would take an Uber home later. Ken promised to make sure she got home safely. 

John shot Ken a look across the bar and Ken waved him home. John looked smug as he walked out of the bar. Later that night, he would text Ken “I told you so.”

Slowly, they worked their way through the menu and switched from alcohol to soda and water. People filtered out of the bar as the night continued. Eventually, they were nearly the last ones there. 

“There’s a great 24 hour bakery just a few blocks away,” Jessica said, as the bar was getting ready to close. 

“I’m literally always down for that,” said Ken as he took the check.

“I cannot let you pay for all of that, let’s split it,” Jessica said.

“It’s no trouble,” Ken said.

“I insist,” she said, pulling her card out of her wallet and putting it in the bill.

Ken took it out and handed it back to her, “You buy our cookies then,” he said smiling.

“Deal,” she accepted her card back and nodded. 

They left the bar, they got their cookies and cupcakes from the bakery down the street. They walked slowly around the neighborhood together as they munched them. 

Ken put Jessica in a taxi home, making sure she had his phone number and he had hers. Then he took an Uber home himself. He felt better than he had in months. He would have to remember to thank John later. 

Ken and Jessica became inseparable. They had dinner together several times a week. They spent entire weekends at each other’s apartments. Even Sprinkles took to Ken. It was Saturday night and Ken and John were having dinner together, Ken hadn’t forgotten his friends for his new girlfriend. 

“So,” John asked, “How’s Jess?”

“Good,” Ken beamed, his face always lit up when he talked about her. 

“Good,” John said, “How long has it been now?”

“Five months,” he answered.

“Wow, already?” 

“I know, right?”

“You’re welcome, by the way.”

“I have thanked you many times already,” Ken laughed.

“Well I expect to continue to receive thanks until your wedding.”

“Really? I don’t think we are there yet/”

“I know, I’m saying I expect them for a long time,” John chuckled.

“Oh, ok, I’ll keep that in mind,” Ken laughed in return. 

“But really,” John said, “You planning on moving in together? At this point, it seems like it’s just a time saver. 

“Probably,” Ken said, spearing a piece of penne pasta. “I’m just not sure how to go about asking her. I don’t want to scare her off.”

“If you haven’t done that by now, I wouldn’t worry about it,” joked John.

“Yeah yeah,” Ken replied, “You’re hilarious.”

“I know,” he said satisfied, he pulled a piece of bread from the basket and added butter. “But seriously, I’m sure she’ll say yes, and then you don’t have to constantly carry an overnight bag,” he motioned to the duffle bag at Ken’s feet.

“You’re right,” Ken said. “I will try and get up the courage.”

Three months later they were hauling boxes and furniture into their new shared apartment. 

They had enlisted the help of their friends to lug things up the four story walk up. As the apartment filled with boxes and furniture, everyone’s clothes became more and more covered in sweat. John, Ken, Jessica, Isabel, plus Jake and Phillip, John and Ken’s buddies, were all taking a water break in the kitchen, waiting for the air conditioner to start cooling the place down. Jessica was on the phone, ordering pizza for the crew. 

The men geared up to take the last of the boxes up while the women started unpacking boxes, looking for napkins for pizza and putting the cold and frozen food away before it spoiled. Soon, the pizza showed up, the air conditioner was chugging along nicely and they group was agreeably eating and chatting. 

Ken found himself taking in the scene in a moment of clarity. Everything felt good. Everything felt right. He was happier than he’d ever been. He had a wonderful girlfriend, he had good friends. Even this apartment was an upgrade from his previous one, since they could afford it with two incomes. Sunlight streamed through the window and gave everything an ethereal feel. Life was good. 

“Hello, I’m confirming a reservation for tomorrow at seven,” Ken said into the phone. This was the third time he confirmed this reservation.

“Yes, for two people at seven pm tomorrow evening,” said the helpful employee at the other end.

“Thank you,” he replied, then hung up. 

He took a deep breath and went to his sock drawer, took out a ring box and inspected the contents as he had every night for nearly a month. This was it, he was going to ask her tomorrow night. He was sure she’d say yes but he was still nervous for some reason and couldn’t shake it. 

Tomorrow night came. Jessica looked amazing in a black cocktail dress. Ken cleaned up well in his classic black suit. 

Ken was too nervous to wait until dessert. He didn’t even make it to the entree. Before they even got their drinks, he got down on one knee in front of Jessica.

“Jessica,” he began, “I don’t know what divine intervention occurred for us to find each other, but I am so glad that we did. You make me happier than I ever thought possible. Would you make me the happiest man alive and do me the honor of marrying me?” He pulled the box out of his jacket pocket and presented her with the ring. 

“Oh Ken,” she said, struggling to find the right words. “I...I’m so flattered but I just don’t know if that’s the best idea…” she trailed off.

With the whole restaurant looking at him, he rose from his knee and sat down across from Jessica. The restaurant was silent. Slowly, murmurs began and eventually normal conversation resumed around them as people tried not to stare. 

Recovered from his initial shock, Ken finally spoke, “I don’t, I don’t understand.”

“This is on me,” she answered, “I have put this off for too long. I just don’t think we are working any more.”

Ken swallowed as he held back tears. “Well clearly I don’t feel the same way.”

“Yeah, I know, I didn’t want to hurt you, so I procrastinated.”

“Well this isn’t a great way to find out,” Ken chuckled but it quickly devolved to tears.

“You are right,” she chuckled weakly. Not sure what else to say. 

November 01, 2020 18:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Pene Worth
00:03 Nov 08, 2020

Ouch! A well-written story, but one thing I was looking for was a mirror of the first line somewhere.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.