Poe (based on a true story)

Submitted into Contest #41 in response to: Write about an animal who changes a person's life (for better or worse).... view prompt

2 comments

General

The first time I met her, she seemed sad. She was picking up the spirit of one that had passed. I heard the vet tech say his name was Mittens. Mittens, along with the others that have passed from this life to the next, let me know how badly she felt the loss. I did my best in the short visit to make her smile. Mittens told me that her smile was beautiful, and he was not wrong. I tried to heal her with my purr and make her laugh by chasing the light fairies as they played in the sunbeams. Her smile was beautiful, but there was sadness behind it. I did my best to let her know that I would wait for her. Her tears told me she was not yet ready.


Months had passed. I helped at the vet’s office welcoming new patients, easing their fears and worries. I welcomed familiar faces with a meow. I chased the fairies around the office and made the humans laugh. I caught small field mice that would get into the food bags. But, I kept thinking of the sad woman, Mitten’s person. She needed me. 


It was a bright, warm sunny day when I saw her next. She was different. Still sad, but hopeful. Today was the day that I would let her know that I chose her to be my person. The red haired human that sat at the front and fed me treats all day walked her to my playroom. I tried to follow but got distracted by the sound of a mouse in the wall. When I made my way down the hall and into the room, I saw her. She sat on the floor, cross legged, like an angel waiting for me to come to her. The light reflected in the room as if it was meant only to shine for her. I trotted to her corner, climbed onto her lap, and put my nose to her face letting her know that I was always here. “He is choosing you,” I heard the treat lady say. I would heal her aching heart. She was my person now. We had each other and that is all that mattered.


She brought me to our home a few days later. I showed her how much I loved her every moment I could. Did you know that humans allow water to fall over them? I watched her in do this every day and thought it very odd.  She fed me the best food, and let me stalk the creatures in the grass outside. I curled up next to her when I knew she needed the love. And, the windows in the house allowed me to watch birds all day. I felt her heart begin to heal. We were meant for each other. Our love was perfect. 


She and I went everywhere together.  There are these machines, called cars that have HUGE windows on the front of them where the sun warms everything. This is the best place to nap on a long journey. When there is no sun, and the wet stuff falls from the sky, the big window has arms to wipe away the droplets. I would chase the arms to tell them where the water was traveling. She would laugh every time. Her laughter lit up the world.


One day, a male human came to the house. He was nice enough but very different from my person. He and I would play with a string because she would watch.  He wrestled with me at night as she laughed. My allegiance was always to her, she was my person. I would protect her from all things – birds, mice, other humans. We were bonded for life.  


Many seasons passed, and something changed with her. There was a baby growing. This small human was a part of her and was therefore a part of me. It was strong and healthy. I would lie on her still small belly purring to let the baby and my human know that everything was going to be ok. When a baby girl was born, I protected that baby just as much as I protected her mom. These two girls were my people, my pride, and I would be loyal to them always. Our love would always exist.


Time continued to pass. Me with my two girls – my person and her daughter. They were everything to me, and I loved them. Then one day, something felt wrong. My head ached. I looked at my person, and she put her hand on my head. “Poe, boy, are you ok? What is this lump on your head?” Her touch was soothing despite the pain. Her love was all I needed to heal. I once healed her, and now she would heal me. I kept hearing the word, “cancer” every time we went to the vet. She didn’t want me to suffer. I wanted her to know that our love would last forever. Mittens and I would talk frequently about the journey over Rainbow Bridge, but I couldn’t bear to leave her, my person. I would overcome this “cancer” for her.


Breathing became difficult with each passing day, but I never let her know how much this lump in my head hurt. It was spreading and I could feel in not only in my head, but my whole body. Jumping, playing and eating were hard. But, she needed me. I was the love that healed her hear. The love her and her daughter needed for more than 10 human years. I had to be strong for them.


I don’t remember the last time I felt her warmth. All I remember was being at the vet, seeing her and her daughter and then falling asleep in their arms. Mittens greeted me and walked with me across Rainbow Bridge. I turned around often to see her crying. And while she was sad, I heard her repeat, “thank you for saving me.” I came back to visit her often in those next few months to make sure she was OK. Mittens and I would jump into her dreams.  We would journey into her thoughts. I learned to manifest myself into her vision. It was fleeting but it would make her smile. I stared at her smile in those moments for as long as I could. She still talks to me, and I let her know that I hear her by sending her sounds and subtle signs.  She knows it's me.


We are bonded for life. I healed her.  She loved me. She will always be my person.

May 15, 2020 15:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Janet Davies
07:23 May 18, 2020

I love this story. It makes sense to me.

Reply

15:15 May 18, 2020

Thank you. Poe was a gray tabby-Siamese mix that I adopted in my late 20s. He went through my daughter's birth, a divorce, a remarriage, a cross country move, and so many other milestones with me. This was my way of immortalizing him.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.