7 comments

Happy Lesbian LGBTQ+

Alice stepped into the flower shop, a smile already gracing her face. She had been looking forward to visiting this shop ever since seeing the beautiful bouquet of carnations at a friend's wedding. She wanted to recreate the same feeling with an equally beautiful bouquet.


Alice inhaled deeply, savoring the pleasant aroma of the different flowers in the shop. She looked around, taking in the different varieties on display, unsure of which one to pick.


After a few minutes, she decided on a bouquet of daisies, white and yellow ones. There were several stems of each color, intermixed in a way that created a beautiful contrast. 'Just like that wedding,' Alice smiled to herself.


She took out her wallet to pay, only to find out that she had left it at home. Panic quickly filled her and she was about to dash out of the shop when the florist came up to her and said, 'Don't worry, I can put the flowers on tab for you. You can pay for them next time you come back.'


Alice thanked the florist gratefully and hugged the bouquet close to her chest. She was surprised by the generous act of kindness from a complete stranger and determined to come back and pay for the flowers.


Alice eventually got home and spent hours arranging the daisies as best as she could. She smiled, feeling content. Indeed, the bouquet was even more beautiful than the one she had seen at the wedding.


From then on, whenever Alice felt in need of cheering up, she would visit the flower shop and buy another bouquet of daisies. The florist was always happy to see her and would always put the flowers on tab with a smile.


Alice often felt grateful for being able to be a part of this small community, and the florist became a type of friend she could rely on for a kind word and a happy smile. Even if only for a moment, the exchange would always be enough to boost her spirits and give her hope that there might be more to life after all.


Alice quickly grew accustomed to making her weekly trip to the shops and always ensured to leave the florist with a small bunch of flowers. The petite arrangement became a symbol that she was finally feeling a connection to the town and the warmth radiated from the florist's presence.


Each time she left with a bundle of flowers she felt invigorated and more hopeful for a life in the town that she began to grow to love. The simple exchange of money in return for a bundle of blooms and a warm smile was enough to give Alice a boost of happiness and a feeling of acceptance, reminding her of the potential for a life of greater happiness.


Week after week, Alice would leave with a refreshed soul and a heavier pocket, but she came to associate these trips to the shops with warmth and joy. The simple exchange of money in return for a bundle of blooms and a cheerful smile from the florist was enough to give Alice the reassurance that maybe, just maybe, she could find her place in this new town. The hope and potential for a richer, fuller life kept her going and she gradually fell in love with the town she so quickly and reluctantly had called home.


Each weekend she would take her hard-earned money and spend it on a bouquet of vibrant colors and delicate petals. She could almost feel the love emanating from the flowers and the warmth of the shopkeeper’s smile, but Alice didn’t realize how much of an impact these simple exchanges were having on her.


With each visit to the flower shop, Alice found her love for the town growing. It wasn’t long before she was taking leisurely strolls along the river walk, bartering at the market, and finding joy in the simple pleasures of life. The town seemed to embrace her and welcomed her with open arms. Slowly but surely, Alice was carving a new life in her fresh surroundings and budding relationships with the townspeople.


Though she was now beginning to feel at home, Alice still remembered the feeling of loneliness and displacement she had felt upon first arriving in the town. It was for this reason that she still made it a point to go to the flower shop every weekend, both for her own pleasure and for the assurance that she had truly found her place in this new life. Week after week, she would visit the shop and find solace in the sweet exchange of money for blooms and a cheerful smile from the florist.

— — —— — —— — —— — —— — —


Alice loved the flower shop. When she walked in, she was mesmerized by the soft colors of the flowers spread out before her. She loved the way they smelled, and the way they looked in the natural light of the sun pouring through the windows. But what really captivated Alice was the florist - a tall, softly spoken woman with warm eyes and a patient smile. She knew right away that she felt something for the florist, something she had never felt for anyone before.


Alice grew up in a conservative community and had been taught that girls like boys, not girls. But when she was with the florist, she felt a flicker of something she was too scared to name. The florist seemed like a safe haven from the expectations of her family and society; she was gentle and kind, and caring in a way Alice had never experienced before.


Alice found herself returning to the flower shop time and time again just for the chance to see the florist. Eventually, she convinced herself to open up and revealed her growing feelings for the florist. To her relief, the florist shared her feelings, and the two proceeded to grow closer and closer together until their love blossomed into a beautiful relationship. Alice thanked her lucky stars that even though her feelings were considered abnormal at first, she had the courage to take a leap and make her dreams come true.


Alice married the florist,


The wedding was filled with bouquets of daisies.

March 30, 2023 14:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Isa C
13:38 Mar 31, 2023

This is so good! It’s great for your first story!! Love this line, “ she felt a flicker of something she was too scared to name.” really stands out how me as a queer person have feelings for someone I think is homophobic or straight. Sorry if this doesn’t make sense Im just bad with words. But I really like this story.

Reply

Aizen Thames
13:39 Mar 31, 2023

Thank you so much! I tried to make Alice’s feelings as realistic as possible.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
22:58 Mar 30, 2023

So sweet Aizen. Look at you go! Three stories in one week, wow! May I give you a constructive critique on this one? When you read it back, notice how many times you start a paragraph with Alice, and how many times her name occurs within the story. Is there a way you can mix this up a bit? Also, for the number of times you mention Alice’s name, you never mention the florist’s name at all. As a reader, I did not feel any connection to this florist and so the ending, while sweet and lovely, is not as impactful as it could be. Our job, as the...

Reply

Aizen Thames
13:18 Mar 31, 2023

Thank you Michelle! It is my first time publishing some stories so I might have a few mistakes! I’ll keep this in mind when I write my next one! Thanks for feedback! :)

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:26 Mar 31, 2023

I look forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

Aizen Thames
13:31 Mar 31, 2023

Thank you so much for your support and encouragement to pursue my dreams. Writing has always been my passion, and it's a delight to have had the opportunity to experience the process of creating a book from scratch. The feeling of seeing it all come together is incredibly rewarding, and I'm beyond ecstatic that this has been such a successful journey so far. I'm so excited for what the future holds and the new stories that I'll be able to share with the world. It's hard to put into words how impactful this experience has been, but suffice it...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:45 Mar 31, 2023

I know, how addictive it is to see people enjoying your creative efforts. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.