After the Virus

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Science Fiction Drama

Amy looked over at the bodies of marauders that lay before her. She had been lucky this time, there were only 3 marauders. She feared for the day that there would be more. Thankfully, that wasn’t today.

She quickly searched their pockets and relieved them of their weapons and anything that was useful, lighters, food anything she could use to help her survive. She then dragged the bodies into the bush. They will attract animals into the area that she can hunt.

The sky was turning a pinky-orangy hue. It would be dark soon and far to dangerous to be outside.  She packed up her things and whistled. A large German Sheppard ran from out of the bushes and followed her up to the small house that they called home.

Night fell upon the house. Amy lit a single candle as her light source. She didn’t use the generator at night. Too much light would attract marauders like moths to a flame.

She prepared what little food she had into 2 bowls and put one on the floor.

“Nellie,” she called and the German Sheppard came and devoured its contents. She sat on the couch and ate her share. The food hit her stomach and it growled like she hadn’t eaten for days. Meals were a once a day occurrence if that. It wasn’t anything special and it wasn’t a lot but it kept her alive.

Night times were hard for Amy. With nothing to and no one to talk to, all she was left with were her thoughts. She thought about the days before the virus. Even though she was only 10, she still had vivid memories of carefree days with friends. She remembered the hopes and dreams she used to have. She wanted to grow up and help people. These days she didn’t even trust them.

She awoke during the night to a noise outside. Her heart raced as she reached for the knife under her pillow.

“Nellie,” She whispered, “Go see.”

The dog obediently went outside and walked the perimeter of the house. Amy waited, ready to attack. She heard Nellie bark and growl before hearing dead silence. There was a silence that felt like an eternity before Nellie finally returned with a dead rabbit in her mouth.

Amy breathed a sigh of relief as she put her knife back underneath her pillow. The anxiety drained from her body as her hands began shaking.

“Good girl.” She said, patting Nellie behind the ear.

The ground was still wet with dew when Amy went out to check her traps the following morning. They were intact and ready. She walked further into the bush when she came across something on the ground. She dismissed it as a dead animal but as she got closer she realised it was a person, a young woman to be precise.

The woman had been attacked. She was bleeding and was covered in bruises. Amy checked her pulse, she was alive but just. Amy turned and began to walk away when she heard Nellie whimpering behind her.

“She’s not our problem,” She said to Nellie who continued to whimper. “She probably won’t make it anyway.”

Nellie lay on the ground next to the woman.

“We can’t just invite strangers into our home, it’s not safe.”

Nellie looked Amy in the eyes and didn’t budge.

“Fine,” Amy relented as she walked over and picked up the woman. “As soon as she’s better though, she’s out.”

It was several hours later when the woman awoke on the couch in Amy’s house.

 She was groggy and in pain but her face had been cleaned and her wounds had been tendered to.

“What happened?” She asked.

“I found you out in the bush,” Amy said in the chair next to her. “I’d say you were attacked by marauders. Do you remember anything?”

“I was being chased. It was getting dark and thought I could lose them in the bush. I tripped and they caught up to me but I can’t remember anything after that.”

“You’re lucky to be alive,” Amy said coldly. “Marauders aren’t known to be merciful. What were you doing out there all by yourself?”

“I hear they’ve made a small civilisation. About 100 people or so. Have you heard of it?”

“No.” Amy stood up and fetched a glass of water from the kitchen. The woman lent on her bandaged arm and experienced a sharp and debilitating pain. She screamed in agony.

“You’ve likely broken your arm,” Amy said helping her up and handing her the glass of water. “You can stay here until it heals but then you go.”

“Thank you,” Said the woman. “What’s your name?”

“Amy.”

“Thank you, Amy, I’m Nicole.”

The next morning Amy took her usual walk around the perimeter, with Nicole closely behind her, her broken arm bandaged tightly.

"You shouldn’t be out here,” Amy chastised. “You should be back inside where it’s safe.”

“I’m ok. It doesn’t hurt much. Besides, what if you run into marauders?”

“That’s exactly what I mean,” Amy lectured. “I can look after myself. With only one arm you’re completely useless. How can fight with just one arm?”

“I can’t fight anyway,” Nicole confessed. Amy turned and faced her in shock.

 “What do you mean you can’t fight? Everyone needs to fight, how have you survived this long?”

“ For a long time, my parents and I were a part of this group. We stuck together, looked out for each other. There ended up being about 20 of us so we weren’t really bothered.”

“What happened?” Amy asked concerned. “How did you end up by yourself?”

“Well the group grew little by little and there were some people who had some ideas about how we should do things, and then others disagreed. Arguments took over, tensions rose and rose until they exploded in a massive fight.”

“What happened to your parents?”

“They were killed. I managed to getaway. I struggled on my own for a while. I heard about this group that had a system. They were a little civilisation. I’ve spent the last 6 months trying to find it.”

“Why? You can’t trust people. “

“People aren’t the problem. It’s the lack of boundaries. It’s the lawlessness. The marauders, what do you think they did before the virus? They were probably normal people with normal lives. You take away their boundaries and their structure, they lose themselves.”

Amy and Nicole continued to walk. They ventured into the bush before Amy put her arm out in front of Nicole.

“Stop,” Amy warned. “That’s far enough.”

“Why?”

“Any further and we can’t see the house. It’s the easiest way to get lost.”

They turned back and headed for the house.

“So,” Nicole asked. “What’s your story? How did you end up all alone in a house n the middle of nowhere?”

Amy ignored her as they walked back.

Over the next several weeks, as Nicole’s arm healed, Amy took her under her wing and taught her how to fight and how to survive.

Nicole found in Amy a wise teacher. Amy found Nicole to be a keen student. As Nicole quickly learned and grew into a confident warrior, Amy found herself growing closer to Nicole and noticed her walls were beginning to come down.

Nighttime became a highlight for Amy. Nicole would regale her of stories of her past. Nicole was an inventive and creative storyteller. Amy found herself engaged and started laughing for the first time in years.

“So, you never told me,” Nicole carefully broached. “What’s your story? How did you end up here all alone?”

Amy took a breath. Her stomach fluttered with nervousness.

“I grew up here. This was my parent’s home.” Amy confessed.

 “Where are they?”

“My father was a Doctor. He worked tirelessly to save people when the virus hit. When society crumbled he said it was his duty to keep healing the sick and helping people. He didn’t turn away anyone in need. There was a knock on the door one night, it was a coupled and he had been attacked. They came in and my Father started working n him when the rest of them forced their way in. Five marauders, they beat my Father within an inch of his life and they made him watch as they murdered my Mother. They then killed him and stole everything they could from the house. I’d managed to escape but helplessly watched through the window. I ran and hid for days in the bush.”

Nicole saw the sorrow in Amy’s eyes as went over and sat next to her. She took Amy’s hand.

Nicole’s touch was warm and friendly. It was the first time Amy had felt close to another person in years. Tears began to stream down her face.

Nicole slowly leaned over and kissed Amy. It was soft and sensual. Nicole pulled away and looked apologetically into Amy’s eyes. She took Nicole by the hand and led her into the bedroom.  

The next morning, Nicole awoke to find Amy nervously pacing.

“Are you ok?”

Amy looked up at her. Her eyes were red and teary.

“I’m sorry. Last night was a mistake.”

Nicole looked at her confused.

“I crossed a line last night. I can’t allow myself to get close to anyone. You need to go.”

“After all we’ve been through,” Nicole angrily said. “After weeks of getting to know me, you still don’t trust me? What you think I’m going to stab you in the back?”

Amy began crying.

“You may not believe this,” Nicole continued. “but, I trust you with my life. I love you, and I thought you felt the same about me.”

Nicole turned and began to leave. Amy headed her off at the door.

“It’s not that don’t trust you,” Amy confessed. “I’ve already lost both of my parents, I don’t think I can handle it losing you too.”

Nicole hugged her tight and reassuringly whispered in her ear.

“I’m not going anywhere. Together, we’re unstoppable.”

They kissed passionately before Nellie began barking intensely. They looked out the window and saw a large group of marauders walking out of the bush and heading towards the house.

Amy grabbed her knife in a panic.

“There’s got to be at least 10, 15 of them.”

“Have you ever taken on that many?” Nicole asked, equally as panicked.

“No. There’s nowhere to hide too. They’ve found the house, they’ll see us if we run.

Nicole looked around the house before an idea struck her.

The marauders descended upon the small house. They searched the house and found no one.

Outside Amy and Nicole closed and barricaded the front door. They then took out a lighter and set fire to the house.

They raced into the bush and watched the house burn with the marauders inside. Amy shed a tear as she watched her life burn with it.

“I’m sorry about the house.” Nicole consoled. “I know how much it means.”

“Yeah, the important thing is we’re alive.”

They watched as smoke filled the sky.

“In a weird way,” Nicole noticed. “It looks pretty.”

“It’s only a matter of time before more marauders see it. We should go.” Amy took Nicole by the hand. “I just don’t know where.”

“Well, I’ve heard of a place that’s civilised. Do you want to join me?”

“I do.”

Together Amy and Nicole set off into the bush.

September 25, 2020 14:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.