0 comments

Fiction Friendship

Snow Day.

Those words had never meant anything to Hope. Growing up in the Deep South, hurricanes got them out of school. Hurricanes, however, are tracked for days and getting out of school was not a surprise.

But there was the happy surprise on her phone. A text from the district.

Due to last night’s snowstorm, all schools in the County are closed for the day to allow crews to clear the roads for emergency vehicles. Everyone is encouraged to stay home and safe.

Hope’s mind immediately began making a list of all of the things she could do with this unexpected time. Too bad she hadn’t brought her other bag home; she could have gotten a jump start on lesson plans for the next unit. Still, she had some papers to analyze, and she could tackle the hall closet, and the bathroom could use a good cleaning.

But as her list was forming, Hope did something that surprised even her. She turned off the light, rolled over, and snuggled down deep into her comforter. All of those things could wait while she got an extra hour of sleep.

Or three.

Hope was quite groggy when she finally emerged from the cocoon of her comforter. She couldn’t believe she had slept for three extra hours! The teaching life was not one that was big on sleep. Hope had to remind herself that sleep was good and healthy, and if she had slept that long and hard, her body needed it. Her To Do list was still there, and she would still be able to take advantage of the surprise time and be productive.

As she poured her coffee and savored the warmth of the mug, she sighed looking around at her tidy and tiny apartment. Not quite living the highlife of the big city, but what did she expect living off of a teacher’s salary or a teacher’s time? She reached for the carton of eggs just as her doorbell rang. Eyebrows furrowed, Hope went to see who would be dropping by like this. She still didn’t know that many people in this part of the city and certainly none well enough for a drop in.

Hope opened the door without checking through the peep hole and instantly regretted the three extra hours of sleep. She knew her hair was a wild mess, and she was still in her jammies with a grandma cardigan wrapped around her. It was the cute neighbor she swapped pleasant hellos with whenever they crossed paths. She could admit, privately, and to herself, that she looked for him and took her time getting into her apartment many days.

“Good morning, Sunshine,” came the smooth voice and a flash of brilliant teeth. “I was hoping I’d catch you home…and taking advantage of your unexpected day off by sleeping in. Gotta love a snow day.”

“Good morning, Clay.” Hope tried to clear the sleep from her voice. “Your office is closed, too?” Adults get snow days, too? Hope inwardly puzzled.

“My office is never closed – rain, shine, sleet… you name it. No, it just happened to be my off Friday.”

Hope realized she wasn’t quite sure what Clay did. Their pleasantries always included the weather, her work hours, his workouts, going out… But before she could ask what he did and why he had an “off Friday,” Clay held up a bag.

“I chanced you might have slept in and hadn’t eaten. Breakfast taco?”

Hope hesitated. Her apartment was presentable, but she had so many things she was going to accomplish. And she looked a mess. But then Clay quirked an eyebrow, gave her a lopsided grin, and shook the bag a little. The smell wafting from the bag did her in, and she opened the door wider.

“Thanks. Come in. Coffee?”

“I’d love some. Thanks.”

The two chatted over coffee and breakfast tacos. Hope normally felt so awkward around men, particularly good-looking men. She wasn’t sure if Clay was just that easy to talk to and be around or if the fact that she looked a mess and literally wearing a grandma cardigan (her grandmother had given it to her before she moved up north) eased her mind that this could never and would never be a date and gave her a “whatever” kind of attitude. Either way, she felt she could just be herself.

The two lingered over a second cup of coffee. Hope found out what Clay did and why he had an “off Friday.” Clay found out that Hope had moved to the mid-Atlantic because she wanted to experience seasons…and she had good friends who had moved to the area.

Hope was enjoying the conversation, but when the pot was empty, she realized it was time to get to grading.

“So, what’s on tap for the rest of your snow day?” Clay leaned back on the couch, hands behind his head.

Feet curled under her, Hope started to get a little shy. She knew Clay would disapprove. One of the things they had shared early on was that his mother had been a teacher and he hated how much she had to work.

“Well…” Hope started.

“You’re not going to work!” Clay exclaimed. It didn’t feel like a question.

“I’m behind on some grading. And I’ve been meaning to clean out my storage closet. It’s a great opportunity to catch up and get ahead.”

“That wasn’t a question. You can’t work. Your first snow day should be for doing something fun that you haven’t gotten to. You moved up here for seasons. Today should be for experiencing the fun side of winter. You can use the next snow day for work.” Clay again gave her that lopsided grin and quirked an eyebrow and waited. When she hesitated, he added, “Besides, I may not be available for your next snow day. You should take advantage of having a local…somewhat local…guide for a winter adventure.”

The man did make sense.

Hope eyed Clay and pursed her lips as if in thought. “And what would you suggest for this winter adventure?”

“Yes!” Clay seemed genuinely excited by her question.

Clay gave her forty-five minutes to don her warmest outfit, grab whatever book she was currently reading (or in her case wanted to start reading), and meet him at the building entrance. In a stroke of good fortune, Hope had just bought a pair of fleece-lined leggings the weekend prior. Tugging on her heaviest pair of pants over the leggings and putting on three pairs of socks, Hope thought her bottom half would be just fine in the snow. She was most concerned about her hands now.

Clay laughed when he saw her come down the stairs.

“Those are the best! Props for getting mittens! They will keep your hands way warmer.”

Hope slid her hands in her jacket pocket and looked down, her cheeks getting a little red.

“I got them in Peru. They’re alpaca.”

“Don’t hide them. They’re great! You won’t lose those rainbows in the snow. Ready for your first adventure?”

Clay held the door open for her, and they headed out. He grabbed what looked like a circular, red plastic trashcan lid.

“Ready for a little downhill racing?” he asked with a wink.

“Oh, I don’t know about this. I’m a little klutzy. I might break something.” Hope was very uncertain of this idea.

“There won’t be any buildings with windows nearby.”

“On my body!” Hope clarified.

Clay just laughed. “So, when did you go to Peru?’

The two chatted about their travel experiences (Clay has spent time in Thailand that previous summer) as they made their way to the nearby hill. Twenty minutes later, Hope found herself whizzing down the hill, cold wind rushing through her hair. She couldn’t stop herself screaming in delight. The next hour was passed trudging up the hill and flying down it.

“See, no broken bones!” Clay teased as they sat warming up in a nearby café (Clay’s favorite) over soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

“What’s next?” Hope asked, eyes glinting, after they were suitably warm and rested.

“I’ve created a monster!” Clay laughed again.

Clay’s laughter was infectious. It came so easily and put Hope at-ease. Hope loved to laugh and be silly, but she only felt comfortable with herself to do that with a handful of very close friends, friends that since she had moved, she didn’t see much. It felt like so long since she had laughed and had as much fun with someone as today.

“Oh, hey, Clay!” An older man stopped by their table, and Clay introduced Hope to one of his co-workers.

As they two men were chatting, it gave Hope a moment to just observe. She and Clay were so different; she wasn’t sure why he was so keen to hang out with her. He knew everyone and could talk to anyone. Put her in front of a group of middle schoolers, and she was good. Other adults? Not so much. He seemed to just roll with things while she had to keep reminding herself this was good and the To Do list could wait.

“Ready for a walk in the park?” Clay interrupted her reverie.

Grabbing her coat from off her chair, “That seems more my speed.”

The park was not what Hope was expecting. Overnight, it had transformed into a winter wonderland. Not only did the blanket of snow and ice make the trees and bushes sparkle, but there were giant ice sculptures periodically along the park trails. Clay informed her that local artists coordinated to display the sculptures after the first big snow of the year. He said in another day or two the park will become a muddy mess, the snow no longer beautiful and white.

“You have to grab the chance while you can to experience the to the beauty.”

Clay smiled at Hope, and she started getting all fluttery inside. And then WHAM! A snowball hit her right in the face. She wiped her eyes just in time to see Clay wink at her.

“Oh, no, you didn’t!” And Hope scooped up her own ammunition.

“I’m so sorry!” Clay apologized again, still looking sheepish.

Hope sat with her foot propped up on another chair and an ice pack wrapped around her ankle. She didn’t see the need for the ice pack as they were sitting outside. The snowball fight had gotten a little out of hand, and Clay had landed smack on her ankle to bring it to a screeching halt.

Hope laughed and waved away his apology.

“There is nothing to be sorry for. I told you I’m a klutz…and besides, a little sore ankle is definitely a small price to pay for the fun I had today.”

They were ending the day just as Clay had intended, around the fire pit of their apartment building, sipping hot chocolate. The books they had brought to read to end out the day sat forgotten in their bags. Their conversations and banter throughout the day never lagged.

Finally, it was time to call it a day. To Hope’s surprise and disappointment, it was Clay who said it was time for goodnight. He was being reasonable knowing she had an early morning, but Hope still wanted to forget school. Clay walked her to her door to say good night before heading to his own apartment.

As Hope climbed into bed shortly after, exhausted from the day spent in the snow, her mind turned briefly to her To Do list. Not a thing was checked off. She had no remorse for it.

Snow days are meant for play.

January 27, 2024 03:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.