0 comments

Suspense Drama Fiction

"Jesus Christ, are you blind?! Can’t you see there are people around? Besides, why would you need a trolley just for…"

"Claire?"

"Lynda? Lynda, is that you? Oh my God, I haven’t recognized you with this… this new haircut."

"Thanks. Do you like it? I’m sorry, m``am... I’m sorry I bumped into you, Claire. I’ve always been absent-minded. You know that."

"I sure do. So how’s life? How’s everything?" 

"Oh yeah, I’m grand, all is grand. Jack and I – do you remember my Jack?"

"Yeah, I think so. Was it that chap that you were dating in college?"

"No, of course not. Don’t be silly. I met Jack in the university. He studied interior design. Oh, stupid me! Would you like some coffee? I don’t mean I mind chatting in the shop but I have so much to tell you about Jack. My Jack."

"That would be really nice, Lynda, but I’m somewhat pressured for time really."

"Come on, we haven’t seen each other for ages. I would have invited you to our place, but Jack hates surprises. He’s very organized, you see. Everything has to be planned."

"He sounds like a bore, to be hon…"

"Oh no, don’t say that! He’s a wonderful person, Jack. In fact, he’s the best person I’ve ever known. Can you say that about your own husband, Claire Monaghan?"

"I’m not married, Lynda. Look, I’m really happy that you’re happy, but I need to go. It was nice to see you."

"That’s why you’re single. You’re skeptical and cold. Always have been."

"I beg your pardon? I’m not single. And I`m not cold."

"But you’re not married. Do you know what this so called partnership is? Prostitution!"

"That’s it, I’m leaving, Lynda. It’s ridiculous."

"Do you know that Jack proposed to me three months after we met in the university library? He knew he met the one and he made a decision like a real man, not these fake ones in skinny jeans. See? See how classy my ring is? Don’t pretend you don’t dream of meeting a real man like my Jack."

"Lynda, for God`s sake! Not everybody sees the world the same way you do. Why do you think that I have to have the same perfect picture as you? Can you believe that people are different?"

"So you’re a feminist, aren`t you?"

"You’re saying it like it`s something bad. Why this face?"

"I pity you. Yet another victim of their propaganda. You’ve been brainwashed."

"No, I have not! I’m not brainwashed! Jesus. Why am I even talking to you?"

"Because deep down you know that I’m right, Claire. You know that no matter how often they tell you that you are an independent, strong, career-driven woman despising the truly fulfilling women’s duties you still long for them secretly."

"This is absurd. Lynda, it’s you who sounds brainwashed. Are you a zombie? What world do you live in? I haven’t seen you for fifteen years and now you’re lecturing me as if I asked you for it."

"Friends should help each other."

"We are not friends! Never have been!"

"You’re scared, it’s a normal reaction." 

"Right, I didn’t want to say this because it’s none of your business, but actually, Lynda, I’m a lesbian and I have a partner. We have a family and I’m absolutely happy. I don’t want to meet a man like your Jack. I have a life. My own life."

"Oh Claire, you`re so silly. You just think you’re happy, but it’s an illusion. A woman cannot be happy without a man. When we got married, Jack told me he wanted me to be at home. He didn’t want me to be buried underneath the burden of a career. So I listened and I did as he said. Jack was working and building his career, I was his loving wife. He is an overachiever. He’s very ambitious. Always wants to climb the ladder. Be the big boss. He’s so clever, Jack. I wouldn’t be able to do things that he does everyday. But he’s a man. It comes naturally to him. And I’m just at home. And I’m happy. I love it. I love every second of it. We may even have a baby."

"Why did he tell you what to do? Why did you give up on your dreams? Wouldn’t you want to have your own career? Your own projects? Wouldn’t you want to have your success celebrated? Why did you give up on yourself?"

"I didn’t. I never gave up on myself, I am myself. I’m my best true self. Jack showed me who I could be, who I should be. And here I am - a happy woman married to a perfect man."  

"Don’t you miss making your own decisions? Having a choice?" 

"Oh, don’t worry. I make decisions every day."

"But aren`t you jealous?"

"I know I’m not. What would I do without him? I would be totally lost."

"You were one of the brightest students, Lynda. You don`t need anyone to guide you."

"Well, actually I`ve spent forty minutes trying to choose new curtains for our sitting room but I can`t decide. Jack knows all the latest trends."

"Then why isn`t he here?"

"Oh, he is busy! He has a meeting or something. Besides, I wanted to make a surprise."

"You said he hates surprises."

"I bet once in a while can spice a marriage up a bit. I think he will love these ones – these geometrical figures look so funny. I will call this triangle Jack and this circle Lynda. It`s so cute, isn`t it?"

"I don`t know. It`s up to you. I don`t know Jack."

"Oh, he`s wonderful… Always has been one step ahead of me."

"What do you mean?"

"You know he could never just decide. He had to do his extensive research. Browse the Internet, read fashion magazines, check out the trends. An overachiever, always has to be the first."

"Why did you marry such a bore? Has he changed since you got married?"

"I told you, he`s not a bore! He is much quieter now after all these years. You see, Claire, Jack died two years ago. Dumped me like a broken toy. Left me to choose these stupid curtains all by myself!"

"Oh my God, Lynda, I`m so sorry, I had no idea… You kept talking of him as if he was alive. Why didn`t you tell me?"

"Because I am incomplete without him! A part of me is missing and they say that people live as long as they are remembered. I will not let him go. He`s mine. He`s all I have and I will keep him for myself forever. Jack is mine!.. Sometimes he smells a bit but I use furniture polish and a bit of air freshener. Summer breeze. I am not letting him leave me again."

"Lynda…"

"I`m so sorry, dear. I upset you. I`m sorry. I must go now. Jack should be back soon. Dinner must be ready. It was lovely to chat to you, please drop by any time, just call us in advance. Jack and I will be waiting for you, Claire. Always."


January 14, 2021 20:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.