0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

I am a dog and am going to tell my story. Let me start: I have been named Tweeze by princess Hyma who owns me. Who is Hyma? She is the only daughter of King who rules an island on planet tellus which is earth’s twin born about 8 centuries later. Hyma is only 16. I being of a very rare breed was brought to her from far away. I was the height of a calf but was gentle and harmless. Everyone loved me. Hyma would always move around with me and so I came to know many things I have seen and heard which I will tell:

One day King was in court surrounded by a variety of courtiers besides men and women appellants and Wizma the chief witch. Hyma and I were seated near the throne when a stranger who was squatting wafted in seemingly on air. He went round the chamber twice and then landed. He got up when we saw he was tall and handsome. He said “Your Majesty I’m Hoho a magician from a far territory. As you’ve seen I can travel on air and possess many other powers. I’ve come to seek the hand of your daughter princess Hyma in marriage.”

King seemed very impressed and after some talk ordered Hoho to be accommodated in the royal guesthouse.

Hyma seemed very attracted to Hoho. After the court had risen we went back to the palace. Hyma now summoned Wizma, the chief witch and said “You also saw Hoho in the court. Do you think I should accept him?”

“Madam, so far I haven’t seen any man with power to ride the air. He has said he was capable of many other powers too. Let us wait and watch.”

Hyma said “Okay. One other thing: Tweeze is all grown up and frequently shows his need for mate.”

Wizma said “True. As you know my brother is an explorer and I’d told him of the need of a bitch to suit Tweeze. He is due next week. Let us see if has found what you need.”

After Wizma’s brother had landed she came to Hyma leading a bitch. As I looked on she said “My brother has found this bitch to suit your dog. He said it was a very rare breed and was very difficult to find.”

Hyma was very happy and she rewarded Wizma for the find. She said “I’m naming this one Swich.”

I was watching and was also very happy that a mate had been found for me as well.

Hyma said “I’m sure these two will provide pups for me. But I must wait till Swich is in season for the mating.”

Later King said to Hyma “I want to satisfy myself about Hoho’s competence.”

“You could ask him to get the sacred amethyst from the serpent cave on Monkey Island.”

“Well said! I’ll give him the task.”

Hoho agreed. I heard later that Hoho reached Monkey Island populated by a wild tribe of cannibals and talked his way in. He met the chief and used his capacity at magic by pulling out with his bare hands two pearls from behind the ear of the chief’s wife and gifted them to her. She was impressed so much that she prevailed on her husband to grant him permission to visit the serpent cave. He flew into the cave and lifted the amethyst when a snake tried to bite him. But he avoided the reptile and brought out the amethyst which he showed to the chief. At the farewell dinner he pulled out a live rat from within the chief’s dress which only covered his loins. This greatly amused the man’s wife who said “I only hope it has done no damage to whatever hangs below that cloth. I would’ve to check and convince myself!” Hoho returned with the amethyst and was lauded.

A few days later, another man came riding the air exactly as Hoho had done. He said “Your Majesty I’m magician Zoom and am Hoho’s twin brother. I’ve even more powers than my brother. I’m as eligible as Hoho and would also like to be considered a match for princess Hyma.”

King said “Hoho has been tested and accepted.”

“Try me. I’m capable of more magic than my brother.”

But King as well as my mistress Hyma dismissed him.

I was there when Hyma rejected Zoom. Zoom at once did his magic move. He made my lower half invisible. In other words he had me walking on my front legs. My hind legs and tail had vanished. Hyma was ḥorrified. She shouted “One half of my pet is gone and so has his merchandise. I was anxiously seeking pups.”

Zoom laughed and said “Ask Hoho to correct it.” Zoom floated away.

I don’t know what sorcery had done to me but I was able to eat and excrete as usual!  But Hyma immediately sent for Hoho and asked him to correct the damage done.

He said “This is a feat which I didn’t learn.”

“How then can Tweeze become whole?”

He thought a while and then said “I don’t know where Zoom has gone but I know Guru from whom he learnt all his magic. He lives in the mountain.”

She said “Go there immediately. There is need to hurry as Swich will be coming to season very soon.”

I came to know what followed: Hoho rushed to Guru’s cave on the top of a mountain. Guru’s aide said “The Master has taken a vow to remain speechless for one year. You can’t speak to him.”

At this stage Zoom rushed in shouting “You rascal Hoho! I knew you would come here to seek to restore the dog’s hind quarter. I won’t let you seek the help of Guru’s aide.”

Zoom came at Hoho and in the fight that ensued Hoho held Zoom captive and said “Give me the spell to correct the dog. Otherwise I’ll kill you.”

Zoom refused when Hoho kicked him off the hill. Zoom’s body was later found among rocks in the foot hill.

Hoho asked Guru’s aide “Zoom has caused half a body to be invisible. I came to seek help to correct the situation.”

Swearing Hoho to secrecy the aide gave the formula. Hoho returned and soon I was made whole again. A couple of days later Swich came to season and I did my duty. Hyma watched the tie and said “I’m satisfied.” Swich in due course produced a litter. While Hyma married Hoho I retreated to my dog’s life!

END

December 10, 2022 11:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.