The Isle Of Hurihuri

Submitted into Contest #8 in response to: Write a story about an adventure on a shipwrecked island.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure

Heather - Part 1


These last few weeks have sucked. Ever since the drinking incident I’ve been grounded. I always go on a trip with my friends but even after a week of begging, my parents hadn’t changed their minds, I’m still grounded... So I invited some random people from school, so I wouldn't seem like some kind of loner with no friends. Plus, mom and dad would pound more dance on me if I didn’t go anyways. Which I do not want. 


José, my chaperone, stops the car near the yacht dock, I turn to him and say, “thanks.”


As my ‘friends’ are loading onto the yacht, I notice some people staring at us, “ugh! Stupid poor people! They better not be saying anything bad about my yacht!” I mutter under my breath, glaring my signature glare. 


After everyone finishes settling in, I signal to José to start the boat.


“Alright! Is everyone settled?” He hollers from the captain's area.


I look around the area where they were sitting and everyone gives me a nod.


“Yep!” I yell back. 


He starts the boat and we’re off.


“So, If any of you get hungry, there's a kitchen over there. If you need to use the washrooms, they are over there, down the hall.” I say taking a well-needed breath after.


“You guys listening?” I ask as I turn around to see them all nod.


“Alrighty then! That’s it, except for one thing… DO NOT go in my room! Got it?” I say looking around me. They all nod again. I swear like, no one here even talks! “Well, have fun...” I say walking to my room.



I put my bags down on a chair near me, and lock the doors.

“Gosh… This was a huge mistake!” I mutter as I flop onto the king-sized bed. 


***

“Heather, wake up!” Tris yells my face.


“Why are you here!” I scream back to her.


“We ran into a storm! José thinks that we need to get into a lifeboat!” She shouts.


“What-” I say shocked. I take my bag, but Tris drags me to the main area and urges me to sit.


“Ok everyone, you have all your valuables packed?” Mia asks nervously. Everyone nods in reply.


“Okay, good.” She says. Before we could all join Jose in the lifeboat, a huge wave goes over our heads. I can hear José’s voice howling as he is being pulled further away. 

***

I wake up to see a tall, grizzly man in front of the five of us announcing, “welcome to The Isle Of Hurihuri.” 



Mia - Part 2



The island we have landed on is quite small. Looking around, there is sand, water, a few huts made out of wood, and a couple of palm trees.


“Welcome to The Isle Of Hurihuri.”


“Wow, this place is, uh, unique!” says Heather. 


“Looks more like a dump to me…” Tris mutters. 


Ugh. I just want to go home. Why did I even come to this thing? Maybe because she’s super-rich… I want to put on my fuzzy socks, grab a good book, and snuggle into bed. But nope. I’m here. On this weird island in the middle of nowhere! 


“How the heck are we going to get back home?! I can’t die here! I have basketball tryouts on Monday!” 


“Basketball tryouts? We all know you’re going to fail those…” Mikaela says under his breath. I was about to say something witty, but instead, I sigh. We all know it’s true. I’m sixteen years old, and I’m still 4’8’’. God, I wish I was taller. 


The man who stands in front of us looks unfazed by our bickering, and calmly says, “are you done?” 


“Um, yes,” I say. 


“Then here you go!” He hands us each a small playing card. I read it slowly. ‘Character: Werewolf.’ what the heck does that mean! I look around. Everyone looks skeptical. 


“What,” States Tris, “the heck”. 


The man smiles wryly and points towards the huts. “Your rooms are this way!”


 “Rooms? No! We are not staying here! Not with these nut jobs! No way! We are going home!” I yell. 


The man smiles a menacing smile. “Well,” he looks around, “where else are you going to go?” 


I glance at the vast ocean around us. “I think he’s right.” sighs Rimuru


As we walk towards the huts, I tap Tris on the shoulder and ask, “what was on your nut job card?”


“A vampire! Who do these people think they are?” she says. 


“Yeah. Were not that stupid… Right?” I ask. “Anyways, I’m going to my room now.” I laugh quietly to myself.


The next morning I wake up. I am so hot. These covers must be made out of some crazy fabric… I stood up and hit my head on the ceiling. 


“Ouch! Crap!” 


I explore the small hut. I was so tired last night, I didn’t even get a chance to look around. There was a bed, a chair, and a bathroom. I walk into the small bathroom. I slowly look up in the mirror and gasp.


“What?” I exclaim in fear.


No, this couldn’t be a mirror. No. No! Because in that mirror there is a big scary monster! A beast! A werewolf! It is almost one and a half meters tall, and it’s furry all over. I raise my right hand, and the beast moves with me!


“Ahhh!” I scream.


That is me! I am that monster! I’ve got to get off this island! Just then I remember, the cards! It said werewolf on my card! And my friends! Oh god, what could have happened to them? Tris’ card said, vampire! And if I’m a werewolf… Oh no. 


I run outside and knock on all the other huts’ doors. Tris comes out looking sleepy. Her skin is pale and her eyes have a red glow! 


“What?” She asks, frustrated. When she opens her mouth, I see fangs! Vampire fangs! As everyone else begins to open their doors, I could see what they had become! When Heather steps outside, I see her skin had a red hue, and Mikaela’s hair was flaming blue! Maybe the scariest of all, Rimuru had hair all over him, but his eyes were yellow, and he had started to grow antlers! 


We all glance at each other and scream! I start to get hungry. Really hungry. My brain tells me no, but my stomach says yes. I am going to eat Heather!


I slowly step closer and closer to her. 


“Thank you so much for inviting us on this trip! It was so kind of you!” I say slowly and calmly.


“What are you doing? Stay away from me!” She screeches.


“I’m not going to hurt you!” I lie.


As I get closer and closer, ready to pounce. I am in arm's length, and suddenly, she sticks her finger out and…


“Ouch! You burned me!” I yell.


“You were going to eat me! What the heck?” she retorts.


“Listen, guys, I think it would be best if we split up. Just so we don’t… Eat each other.” says Tris. “There’s a forest that way, and the beach is that way.” she points out. “So on the count of three, let’s run, and I hope you won’t decide to eat me just because I am clearly the most powerful. One, two-”


“Run!” screams Heather.


I dive for the woods, my urge to eat someone is getting stronger. My legs were hurting even more! I think I am getting even taller. When I said I wished I could be taller, I didn’t mean this. An hour passes, the moon is rising and I found a good spot to hide. I thought I have safely secured myself alone in the forest when I saw Tris emerging from a small opening in the ground. She has transformed. Her face is snowy white, and her lips are red. She stands in the middle of the small clearing, tall grass surrounding her. I haven’t eaten all day, and my stomach is starting to ache. I don’t have the upper hand, so I lunge towards her. She turns around, looking shocked, but that quickly turned to something else. She doesn’t even have to speak. Her eyes say it all. She is going to end my life.


“Tris. We’ve been friends since grade two! Remember when I shared my pencil with you?” I reason. I start to cry. I miss my home. I want to see my mom, my brother, my dad, and my puppy. I want to read my favorite book one last time. “We don’t have to eat each-”


She pulls out a gleaming silver fork and jabs it in my direction. I’ll spare you the details, but I don’t get to go to the basketball tryouts on Monday.


Tris - Part 3


Minutes Earlier


I peer out of the small hideaway that I’ve secured. It’s a small hole, about two feet wide, just big enough for me, a skinny teenager to squeeze into. The moon shines bright above the canopy of dense palms and birches. It’s time. I look back down below me, the shallow rocky cavern looms ominously, ready to catch me if I fall. 


I carefully climb out of the opening, steadying myself on the parched yellow grass. I stand up brushing the dust from the limestone in the cavern off my faded blue jeans. CRACK! I turn swiftly to see a flash of fur.


“Frick!” I curse under my breath.


I rush to cover the opening with rocks and grass, throwing leaves and the dried remains of fruit haphazardly overtop. I attempt to slow my breathing, quieting my hoarse, gasping breath. I hurriedly look around, trying to scout out the creature that’s stalking me on this dark, cold night. I hear leaves crunching behind me. My breath hitches when I feel something brush against my leg. I feel the presence of someone hovering over my body, I retrieve my silver fork from my front pocket. I found it there when I woke up. I turn slowly, ready to stab it with the gleaming silver prongs of the weapon.


I see a tall, hairy beast hovering a few feet in front of me. 


“Frick.” I curse under my breath once again.


I take a deep breath, attempting to be quiet. It tries to reason with me but I hear nothing. I close my eyes and thrust the fork forward into the werewolf. I hear a wail from the creature as blood splatters all over me. I stand in awe with a fork covered in blood in one hand. The blood… I- I just can’t help it. I leap forward onto the dead werewolf, licking the werewolf clean, swallowing large mouthfuls of the juicy, sweet blood of what used to be Mia. I tear myself away in realization.


“Frick!” I yell, not worried about the others. I just killed Mia and drank her blood. Who have I become!


I slump into a ball, weeping, letting my tears form a puddle around me. 


“Why?” I scream. The sound tears through my throat. “Why!”


“I don’t know? Why did you do it?” I hear a calm voice come from behind me.


I gasp and call out, “who are you?”


“I’m  formerly known as Heather but now you shall call me La Mua Thu.”

“Heather?” I ask.

Without a moment of hesitation, hands start tightening around my neck, squeezing every ounce of life out of me. I reach my neck, trying to tear the hands away, but it’s no use. I’m too far gone. I feel the life leaving me, all I see is the empty void of the universe.


 Goodbye.


 Mikaela - Part 4


        I gallop across the jagged ground, my four hooves guiding me through the tall grass, brushing against my thin legs. Fear begins to swallow me. I have nowhere to hide, and if I can’t hide then I kill, that's right, be the prey or the predator, you choose Mikaela… I stop, turning to see the slim deer-like footprints that I had left, abandoned along the crooked path. The others are after me, and I don't know how much time I have left. The world seemed to be closing in around me, my body slowly pulling itself forward, and every step is more painful than the last... 


Wait, something is not right, picking up my left leg, I cautiously look down at a puddle. White hooves stained crimson, a bloodthirsty animal staring back at me. I shudder, my heart races and I can barely breathe. Tris, my friend; her face carrying an empty expression, her neck, a bruised purple, lying in a pool of her own blood. My head starts to throb, I think I'm going crazy. I bring my head down, my antlers nearly touching Tris’s cold, damp body. Thirst cried out, dragging me towards the blood. No, this isn’t right. What am I doing? Pull yourself together! 


I pull myself away, shocked at my actions. I run, starting at a slow trot, then a gallop, then a race against time itself. Hooves thundering against the ragged earth, the moon hovers not far above, watching this cruel game through the dense thicket of trees. I didn't mean for it to be like this. I feel a sudden rush of hatred towards myself. Why? Why would I kill them? They’re my friends are they not? What was I thinking earlier? My headache resurfaces, I drag my face down into the ground. I can feel bloodlust swallowing me once again.


“Kill, kill, kill.” A voice in my head chants slowly.


I slow down to a stop in the middle of a small field. I feel the weight of sorrow building inside me, threatening to drag me into the earth. I continue to walk forward. I stop at the edge of a small cliff. I bring my head down, gazing upon thousands of sharp stones, each jagged point facing me as I slowly inhale.


I sigh, “I can’t do this anymore.”


I stick one bloody hoof over the edge, I let my body fall forward as the wind wipes all my sorrows away.


“Why did suicide have to be my death sentence?” I ask myself as I fall.


A sharp pain pierces my stomach, and I watch as crimson blood inches all over my body.


This is it, I smile softly, gazing up at the moon, the rays dancing upon my last inch of ivory white fur. Dear God, if we ever get another chance, may me and my friends, all live, long, happy lives…



Rimuru - Part 5



The boat sways from side to side as I place all that I have into it. I stare at the continuous ripples which grow smaller every time the boat shifts. A few seconds pass, but I could think of nothing. Even after the water has stilled, I continue to stare, looking at the reflection on the surface. There is a bright blue sky, so clear and pure. Then there is me, with the bloody fur and the vicious face that had once been so innocent. Too innocent, it seems. I turn away, unable to keep thinking about what I used to be, and why I became like this, why I used to be like what I used to be, what I was doing, where I was going and what kind of person I used to be! The questions spiral out of control. 


I turn away from my reflection, looking to the sand that is stained with blood. The sight of the red drops does not relieve me of my questions at all, so I kick the sand in front of my feet in an attempt to bury it. That is when I come to realize that there was no such luxury in this place. I only find more blood as I hold my gaze- the blood from the puddle which has formed around my feet. The blood of another human, who I was once so close to. The blood of a human that I have killed. ‘Unforgivable’. That is the word that flashes through my head as I turn away, again. I have already waited too long; the moonlight shines off the still waters, beckoning to me. A new question forms in my head. ‘Is it possible to escape from here?’ I wonder. If I go back to the human realm, wouldn’t I still be a monster, known to kill innocents? If I wander into another realm, would I be killed instead? Or would it be better to stay on this island, with nothing more to kill or destroy? ‘Leave. That is the reason you have a boat. Right? There is nothing wrong with your actions. It was all to keep yourself alive, wasn’t it? Surely you won’t let yourself die here. Go back to your family, back to the humans. There’s plenty that can keep you alive there…’ I look into the water, my reflection shining on the surface.  I grin, looking at my sharp, jagged teeth that seemed to pierce even the reflection. I lift my head, now staring at the boat sprinkled over with red dots and the sack, which has stained the bottom of the boat with sticky blood. Stepping into it, I almost felt… Comforted. I am going to live… In the human world. Such a supply of food at such a low cost. It was… Great. I sit on the till of the boat and use my large boney hands as paddles to move the boat through the water. Feeding myself on Heather's body that I had collected before I left. I slowly move further and further away from the island, starving for the meals that were to come. The youthful rations that were full of nutrients. Goodbye Hurihuri, I definitely won’t miss you.



September 27, 2019 00:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.