The Accident

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Start your story with a character in despair.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

The road twisted wildly between his headlights, the tortured tires echoing their painful cries through the valley with each curve. He drove nervously, which was understandable. It wasn’t just that he wanted to—it was that he needed to. He had argued on the phone with Sophie again, and now, instead of meeting her as planned, he was heading home at four in the morning after dropping off a client in the countryside. He accelerated further. The BMW, indifferent to its tires, growled and played along.

He vaguely knew that he associated his car with any anger related to that of a woman. To him, the car was feminine and, more importantly, perfectly passive. It was certainly foolish, but the thrill of risk and knowing that this powerful machine teetered beneath his feet, like a toy on the edge of adhesion, channeled his rage, even transported it. In a way, he was pleased; without his fits of anger, he wouldn't reach that strange second state necessary to engage in this type of driving, which he knew was dangerous.

But so what? He neither drank, smoked, nor liked drugs. On the other hand, he worked tirelessly, day and night, for a meager salary and to forget the long, sterile hours that parched his life. It was within the familiar, fragrant leather seats, accompanied by soothing, high-quality music, that he made all his important decisions. Though he remained indifferent to any other forms of luxury, his car was the only exception. In secret, he even attributed character and soul to it. Some days, he felt it was more spirited than others, like today, where it mischievously responded to all provocations.

He lowered the windows, allowing the cool night air, soon to be morning, to rush into the cabin with a forceful whoosh. Ahead, on the road, a shredded fog rose in patches that he mercilessly crushed, intoxicated by the speed he sought. The BMW responded with precision, slightly understeering, and he skillfully corrected it at the exit of turns with a slight steering movement and a heavy foot on the accelerator.

No, really, he had never achieved such mastery in this reckless handling of risky actions. He chuckled to himself—risky actions, it was absurd but amusing. He would have to remember that to use that sentence again. Suddenly, his headlights splashed over a white spot that appeared out of nowhere, and abruptly, everything changed. He braked to avoid it, but it was already too late; he hit it violently. Shattered, he saw it spin on its wheels in a cloud of blue smoke before disappearing. He himself, unbalanced, strangely without a sound and as if in slow motion, left the road to crash lower down onto a huge rock.

This second impact, this time without any cushioning, was terrible for him. He felt like he was exploding, being pulled in one dire direction by an immense force. A red veil darkened his eyes, and he thought he was going to faint...

A shy bird began its first song, and others responded. Encouraged by their replies, it joyfully proclaimed itself the best. Soon, together, their voices drowned out even the deep resonance of the troubled river below. Slowly, finger by finger, he loosened his grip on the steering wheel. Later, he slid to the side to painfully extricate himself from the vehicle. The leisurely dawn surprised him, standing with his hands in his pockets, numb and shivering. His mouth was dry, and he had the unpleasant sensation of having abruptly woken up from a bad dream, feeling detached and slightly out of sync with himself. As for the BMW... It was unbelievable. It no longer had any shape, and the impressive hood was gone, literally swallowed under the cabin. On the rocky slope, a sinister and viscous blue liquid oozed, steaming...

Strangely, he didn't lament on what should have been a disaster for him. Suddenly, he remembered the white spot. He hurried towards the road. It took him several minutes to find the small car, or more precisely, what was left of it. Hopefully, the occupants... He only found one person, a dazed young woman behind a twisted steering wheel, her eyes wide open.

"Are you okay?" "Yes... I think so."

"Take it slow, we need to see if anything is broken."

Carefully, he helped her out of the wreckage. She stood, wavering. The red sun, more radiant than warm, pierced through the tattered fog, casting beautiful lace-like patterns. They stood there, facing each other, for a long moment without speaking—she perhaps searching for a breath of air she still lacked, while he, having cast away his earlier concern, was lost in the vision of her.

"What a shock!" She said this in a soft, measured voice.

He shook his mind clear. "Yes, what a shock!"

The young woman, with her fingertips, sadly touched the crumpled, gaping side of her car.

"And yours?"

"In pretty much the same state, just waiting for César to sign it off. We were very lucky."

She smiled timidly. "I'm sorry, it's my fault, I was coming from your left."

"No, no, I was driving way too fast... I think I'm the real culprit."

"Yes, but there was a stop sign, I didn't even slow down."

"You know, a few seconds before the accident, I glanced at the speedometer—it read one hundred seventy."

"One hundred seventy, on this road and uphill!?"

It seemed this last argument made an impact, as she remained thoughtful. But what a ridiculous conversation, a stupid exchange of pleasantries! He smiled at her, and she responded crescendo, bursting into a happy, crystalline laugh.

"Can you walk?"

"Yes, I'll be fine, I'm feeling much better."

"No one will pass by for an hour or two. I think there's a rest area further up, not far from here. Shall we go?"

"Good idea, there might be a phone."

"I hope so, mine is ruined!"

On the road, they caught their breath. A fresh, invigorating breeze brought whiffs of deep heather and surrounding pines. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, her face glowing.

"It's wonderful, such happiness, nature is so beautiful and we are alive."

She opened her eyes wide and suddenly leapt into the air with grace, spinning from right to left and twirling like an experienced ballerina, revealing long bare legs beneath her light skirt, before closing in on herself like a blooming water lily. He applauded the display and, enthusiastic, extended his hand to help her up.

"Bravo! Magnificent performance!"

They walked slowly, side by side. At one point, he wanted to hold her hand, just like that, without really knowing why, but didn't dare to.

"Oh, there's no phone..."

But there were benches, dozens of benches. They chose one in the sun, almost dry.

"Well, guess we’ll just have to wait."

"Will anyone worry about you?"

"No, I don't think so... And you?"

"No, I live alone..."

They remained silent for a while.

"It's funny, tonight I broke up with a guy. I thought my life was over, and now I feel reborn. How could I have been so stupid? Everything seems so simple all of a sudden."

"It's funny that you say that. I think I broke up over the phone; my girlfriend hung up on me. It wasn't the first time, but I agree with you: since the accident, I don't know how to explain it, but it all seems so distant... A rebirth... Okay, high five for the idea, today will be the great day of Our Rebirth!"

They laughed.

"Tell me, what's your name?" "Ja-.."

"Non, don't say anything!... Not that one, choose a new name... Yes, another name, one that you like, one that suits you."

James thought for a moment... A name he would like...

"I like Adrian, what do you think?"

"Adrian, yes, it suits you well. Very classy."

"And for you?"

"I've always wanted to be called Sophie."

He stifled a laugh but said sincerely, "It's very pretty indeed: Sophie..."

But something was wrong. A sort of dizziness overtook him, and a pounding, relentless buzzing hammered in his head.

"Adrian, Adrian, are you okay? Please, answer me..."

The image of Sophie in front of him blurred.

"Please, stay with me, don't leave me, Adrian?"

He passed out... He woke up behind the wheel in the BMW. Two men were bustling around him.

"Easy now, take it easy, he's in bad shape."

"What did Roger say about the other one?"

"The girl in the white Cooper? Nothing to be done, she died on the spot. A Mini against a sedan, at that speed..."

"Sophie... Sophie..."

"What’s he saying?"

"Sounds like he's calling for a girl. Come on, we need to hurry, he's losing too much blood, quick!"

"Sophie... Sophie..."

"Calm down, it's over, everything will be alright, let us help you, let us help you, let us help you..."

The man's voice echoed hollowly, then faded away as he slipped back into unconsciousness...

"SOPHIE!"

She was there, standing by the bench, uncertain.

"I've been waiting for you. I hoped you'd come back," she said softly.

"I'm here now. I won't leave you again," he reassured her.

Her smile lit up her face, her eyes sparkling. He then gently took her hand, his own face beaming, and together, their steps resolute, they walked towards the light.

June 21, 2024 09:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.