A death trap

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Set your story in a Gothic manor house.... view prompt

0 comments

Historical Fiction Horror

 The moment she saw the great abandoned manor, known to be cursed, Haley was drowning in regret punching herself “why… when…when…will you stop gambling”. It really looked cursed, though, great big walls touching the Sky . Algae following the height, loads of windows giving the view of a monster with several eyes and a giant main gate. “the owner wanted to invite a colossal Titan”, said Caitlin frowning at the main gate. There was nobody insight except for a bunch of guards. Hailey’s gaze followed the yard stretching to several miles .Her eyes widened and jaw stuck open. She stood there still flabbergasted. Far away behind the bushes a short man; hair tied behind, charcoal black hair, locks covering his face and clothes tattered. He was lost in his work which seemed as though he is digging a grave with his great big shovel or chopping on something really big; corpse…perhaps. She gasped with the thought and took a step back heading towards the taxi but she bumped into something really sturdy, she turned back and after looking at him sniffling she pointed towards the yard. She cried, horrified and desperate to go back to taxi “the man…what is he doing???” Matthew was really frustrated after gazing there for a moment he replied, “a gardener doing his work, stupid” she wanted to argue but a thundercloud rumbled above their heads… everyone hurried in. “I’ll deal with her” Caitlin said before she could say anything she was dragged inside a death trap against her will.

It’s been the third day Since I can’t sleep because of the voices, they are growing louder and louder but the language we cannot make out of it , as time passes things started going wrong, at first doors creaked open… and candles out… at second little things disappear and at third really big ones dis”

Liam read it aloud “Katlin’s last words”… Tom bent over “the last line she brought in hurry and it’s incomplete”. “She witnessed something maybe the assassin”, Liam added. Haley in a corner collapsed in Matthews’ arms crying and weeping”. “I told you…. I told you this is not safe” she said. “One strong members already out me, Matthew, Tom plus Haley… we’re just three” liam said.

“Not even three” Tom murmured, setting his loop sided glasses “um leaving”, Mathew sprinted forward and dragged him off his feet, “you are not going anywhere” he shouted at him, “we will never leave Caitlin alone”, he roared his eyes bloodshot. After scanning everyone’s faces he ranted, “dare leave and I’ll kill you myself “his grip tightened… Tom struggling to breath gasped, “alright….alright bro calm down...just another masterpiece of my jokes” Matthew shooted disgusting look at him and left his neck, he fell on his butt hard. “Let’s search” and then everyone descended in a row behind him without even any squeak…

 Four of them, souls shattered… sat on the table for supper as they have missed the lunch cause Matthew did not let them and no one can question him. Tom was almost dead with fatigue he had a really big deal… shutting his mouth. They’ve searched everywhere… library, kitchen, every single room and even for secret passages though, they never found any of them. Everything was in order .

“She was soo persistent to write diary ” Haley hissed, tears cascading down his cheeks. Liam wrapped an arm around for her comfort. “Somethings wrong with this Gardner… what’s its name ….uh Greg”, Haley said but before she could finish it Matthew snapped a foot on hers…she cried “hey!!”,after having a grim glance from him she remained silent.

 Back to their search.

Hailey was really freaking out when they passed the statue which looked more like a devil than an Angel with it’s great wings ...kneeling, hands out, beseeching for something “here u go”, Liam gestured him a coin and then he and Tom both chuckled at there some dumb personal joke. Meanwhile, Hailey who was already breathing hard, knocked into Tom but before he could say a word she darted towards Matthew “something’s wrong with this thing” she muttered… under her breath she looked up… Matthew looking at her…he nodded.

 It was night. Tom was fast asleep, snorting in his bed while three of them sat in a corner. “I read in library tonight’s special… 29th September, when this manors’ owner disappeared and his body was never found”, intrepid Liam continued in gruff voice, while others gulped their own breath. “So you mean me or Tom. Why am I always the one hapless”, she asked flaxen and then Liam and Matthew hid in the murk of cupboard… Hailey acted to be a asleep, but she fell asleep.

 Matthew lost track of time. Stars were aligned near the full moon. Liam woke Matthew up… peeking outside…he panicked to see her bed vacant. His eyes widened, jaw dropped, heart pounding they dashed outside trying to wake up Tom but even his nose started to bleed but he did not woke up. Matthew stared at him perplexed, “something he took that we did not”, after some time he replied “full mug of a juice from Greg but I refused. “Matthew sniffled, ransacked through his backpack and got hold of the gun and Liam stood steadfast, both left searching for any clue. “How did he sneaked in without even a creak”, asked Liam frustrated with himself.

“For all the lost one” they roared but their roar died by a cry…“it’s Hailey and its coming from ”before he could finish, Mathew was already heading for the statue.

She fell asleep. A hand wrapped around her mouth, a strong smell and her body went numb. she grappled but lost it . her world went dark she woke up somewhere dark she could feel the presence of other things giving her creeps .The crackling Of old bones, streaks of blood, she was sure sticky thing falling on her face wad also blood. Only her hands were tied behind her with a pole and it was vivid that it was done in hurry. she tried to yell but her throat was dried and no words came out. she felt her energies sucked she still struggled to yell “HELP” “please….…Matthewww”

 “um coming” he said relieved that she's alive. he kicked the statue ,tried to bend every piece of it but nothing seems to work. he felt like even caelum’s not on their side. at last, he aimed for the wings “told you this arcane thing ,it always lured me…. once this is over I’ll pulverize you myself “he said with a smile of Triumphant. granting of screws and machinery started and the whole thing moved aside they were really amazed .

They descended in through a ladder, everything was damp and dark there feet sogged with blood or the material inside the pipelines which ran from every corner to the other. Liam threw léas of light on them ,specks of blood on walls ,streaks on floor “oh hell with them my trainers” Liam said to his feet. They covered their noses as Liam  was already fainting with disgusting smell. something between pipes and small tunnels filled the first chamber Liam nearly closed his eyes when they entered the second one and he followed Matthew’s footsteps warily . only thing that was present there were corpses. something cracked beneath Matthew’s feet and he jumped, freaked out bones c were covering the floor they sprinted to the third chamber which seemed to be the last one and most horrible as it was filled with poles not only poles people hung with them half dead half alive the wall which seemed to be the last one was covered with hooks and the people hung with them were the last group who came before them. Liam ran towards them “hey …Hey!! are you all alive ??? “he asked with innocence as it was really hard to believe that they are still alive.

Eyes sunken and reddened Flaxen or blue faces, skin wrinkled and glued with bones, their body blooded. Matthews’ eyes caught something and he darted to a corner” Haley”.she was way better than others he untied her and she pointed where Katlin was slumped in a corner forlorn they ran toward her. she looked more like a corpse ,her lips blue, face pale and skin covered in bleeding gashes she opened her eyes and then instantly started to cry “GREG” she moaned then hugged them “he…. he ….hell…. I…was sooo….. scared… everything …..creepy “she chocked with tears she was not done yet  spending her time in dark , hungry and scared all alone.

Liam had untied half of those zombie prisoners when the arena was filled with a bunch of tramps everybody looked up aghast some silhouettes stood at the exit “if she was not strong I would not have picked her up first” the same oily voice which belonged to the clown berserk Greg his companions moved aside a dwarf in black robes stood there with a wide grin on his horrible face. he laughed then stroded a bit forward “welcome my guests…. we were just waiting for you…. Lurking in those tunnels in first chamber “ for a moment liam was glad he did not check them. Greg revealed his face and pointed at Liam” very clever” “yeah I know my electic intelligence “ Liam said showing off . Greg showed them his shovel a wave of fear ran through them , who stood still hoping to be misunderstood with a statue. “ so tonight’s special blood will be shed for the peace of our Masters’ restless soul “ .”NO ”everybody cried in Union “please” and then their breaths hardened and heart skipped a beat . Every clown was holding a tool now a shovel ,an axe, pocket knife, chain saw ,every sort of saw…. Against one riffle.

“where are they?” Matthew muttered under his breath. Arena tensed and they broke like mad clowns laughing and chuckling as they ripped those whoever got in their way. Matthew had emptied his rifle, shot some of them dead but the little mad mouse had escaped and was now heading for the exit hole, other prisoners had sacrificed themselves protected others with their body. Haley have taken pole as a shelter and others clasped bones, they managed it for a minute but then the mouse was at the last step of ladder . he threw in something ,a tear gas maybe the left berserks had taken over them ,mad they did not left with him but stayed with them instead. Matthew sprinted forward his eyes stung ,heart pounding but was too late Greg had got out a moment of dismal splayed in the chamber. their party was losing against gas. something fell hard from the hole again it was Greg swearly. kicked and punched” they have arrived” Liam shouted. Tantrum rouse in matthew , he lost control, used him as a punching bag and he broke his rib cage.

Everyone was safe now injured to the hospital and others standing listening to Matthew “so” Matthew handed the book in which he read about the manor’s owner to rescue team “so” Matt said again “as you know it’s because of my intelligence” Liam cut in in “Gregs’ behavior was suspicious the way he left out of the kitchen and was dying to give us juice which was poisonous some sort of . it drained their energy I was away sure that there is no ghost just this mad clown who was so short and moved like a mouse which is the reason why he was never seen”. “we decided calling you guys , hiding and making Hailey and tom a bait” Matthew added. 

“thank god you guys arrived on time” Caitlin thanked them while, a paramedic staff forced her to lie down.“Hey! kick him for me” Tom said on his way to ambulance on a stature.

“soo…what do you think was the reason behind it? Reporter asked, putting mic nearly into Liam’s mouth. Yawning he replied “why don’t you ask him”. But , the mouse could not reply as matthew had broken his jaw. A team member forced Greg’s team mate to speak “for the peace of our masters’ soul. Who was brutually murdered, and no body even tried to find this tenderhearted man, and after years and years we found his rotten body”he weeped “ all they were entrusted in was just this manor and we loyal ones hated it, which is why we thought to freak them out”

“it isn’t just that. WHAT about imprisoning them, killing them” He was on bouncing in his feet now blinded by anger, team managed to handle him.

“Why don’t you get it .just PSYCHOS!!!”lium shreiked. “Take them away before i rip them apart.” They were removed ,instantly.

The first one who ever walked out of the cursed gothic manor house”. The front page of daily news had it in big bold letters.

October 23, 2020 16:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.