0 comments

General

  Christmas morning. Emily and I sit face to face on my living room floor, exchanging gifts. We both have our pajamas on, mine vibrant red with snowflakes and reindeers, her's emerald green with coffee patterns.

  I hold the wrapped package in my hands and look up. Emily has a giddy smile on her face as she urges me to open the box. I look back down and tear at the brightly colored wrapping paper. The thin, rose paper falls to the floor, and in my hands is a cardboard box. I peel off the transparent tape, open the flaps, and peer into it.

  I reach into the box, grabbing something hard and smooth. I pull it out, revealing a coffee mug. A very ugly, tacky, horrifying coffee mug. It is yellow-brownish and has a huge, disgusting face. In fact, the whole mug is one large, scary face. A pointy nose protrudes from the middle, and distorted eyes bulge from the cup just above the nose. A large, red lip sticks out in a pout shape. It

 I feel like retching, right then and there. It is the most horrifying gift I have ever received.

Emily has always been the type of person to give unique gifts. She doesn't follow trends, and shops at antique and vintage markets rather than modern shops. That's what I like about her, she is different than most people.

 Just a little too different when it comes to gift-giving.

 She looks at me expectantly. "Well, do you like it?"

 I can't just tell her no, can I? That would be rude. I really do not like it, though. The mug, the very unpleasant mug that sits in my hands, is the most hideous thing I have ever seen. 

 But I can't say that. Emily is my best friend, and I don't want to crush her spirit.

 I put it back in the box so I won't have to look at it anymore. I force a pleasant smile and look her in the eye. "I love it, thank you."

 My voice sounds strained, but Emily doesn't seem to notice. I tried to hide my true reaction towards the gift as I inwardly gag.

 She smiles and flips her dark brunette hair over her shoulder.

 I give her the present I picked out for her. The box is wrapped in blue ombre wrapping paper. She tears it to shreds and lifts the gift out.

 Her face contorts with confusion. "What is this?"

 "Open it," I reply.

 She opens the photo album and looks through it. It is all of our past memories on print. It contains about 50 pictures, all of them about us, our travels, and experiences.

 She smiles at me. "Thank you so much! These are so cute." 

 We spend the rest of the day cleaning up wrapping paper, watching movies, and baking Christmas cookies. Around 7:00, Emily leaves. I only see her a couple times a month, since we both have to juggle work, college, families, and other personal problems.

 I shuffle into the kitchen and glare at the revolting mug. I pick it up by the distorted handle and toss it into the garbage. At least I didn't have to tell Emily about it.

             ***

 A week and a half later, I invite Emily over so we can talk and go shopping. She stands in the kitchen as I get my stuff to leave. We make small talk, waiting to tell our better stories for later.

 "Hey, so how do you like your mug?" She asks innocently.

 My heart starts to race. "Um, yeah I like it," I hesitantly reply. "Why?"

 "Oh I don't know, just wondering. Have you used it?"

I gulp. "Yeah um, I used it two days ago."

 "Can I see it?" She asks politely.

 I stop in the kitchen, hefting my black purse on to my shoulder. "Are you ready to go?" I ask, changing the subject. 

 "Yeah, but can I see the mug again before we leave? I really like it and think it's cool," She says, shrugging. 

 "Um..." My voice trails off. "Well, you see, um, I kinda threw it away." I nervously twirl my pale blond hair around my thin fingers.

 She wears an offended and puzzled expression and opens her mouth to speak, but I interrupt her. "I didn't want to be rude, I just... didn't really like the mug and didn't want to say anything to you in case you got offended and I'm sorry but I didn't want to be rude or hurt your feelings. It was just a little scary, maybe a little ugly, oh I don't know. I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have said it was ugly. It wasn't! Well, that's a lie, it was the most hideous thing I have ever seen. Sorry." I clamp my hand over my mouth to prevent myself from rambling on even more.

  Emily stands there, stunned. I stop breathing, waiting for her reaction. 

 Emily just... shrugs. Then does the unexpected. She laughs. "Well it's okay, but next time, you should tell me you don't like something so I can get a refund, or buy you something else you might like. I just thought it was funny. Don't worry, you didn't hurt my feelings or anything. I just don't get why you would lie about it."

 I suck in a great breath. "I don't really know. I guess I was just nervous and didn't want to hurt your feelings."

 We stand there in silence as we process each other's words. After a moment, I speak up again. "So, are we okay then?" 

 "Yeah, we are," Emily says, smiling.

 I breathe out a sigh of relief and give her a quick, tight hug.

 "Okay, let's go," We both say, almost in unison.

 We giggle loudly as we walk out the white-painted front door. A sense of relief flows through me at the thought that I don't have to hide the secret from my best friend anymore. I can always trust her, and she can always trust me. I just have to remember that.

March 16, 2020 17:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.