1 comment

Drama

Kelly Alaniz

Short Story

13 November 2020

Broken Dreams

This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives.

Instead, it turned into a nightmare of broken dreams.

Everything was ready, all the planning, the flowers were ordered and delivered, the chairs were decorated and in place, and the torches were ready to be lit. Everyone was assembled on the beach

Everything the couple had waited for, worked for, and hoped for was about to come true. 

The bride was getting dressed and the groom was fretting over his tie. The knot had to be as perfect as the day had started out to be.

The setting was on a beach in Maui. It was to be an evening wedding with a lavish reception to follow.

Jim and the bride to be Kate, had poured a lot of time and effort, not to mention thousands of dollars into their special day. 

The bride and groom were 

putting the final touches to their hair and clothes prior to walking out to the alter. Then. The Jim recieved a telegram that would leave everyone stunned.  

Jim assumed it was probably another congratulatory letter for the wedding but, that was not to be.

Jim had spent many years getting over many hurts and disappointments that get in the way of our lives.

 It seemed like that time would never come especially after four divorces and six children.

Jim and Kate had met on a cruise to the Bahamas five years ago. Kate had gone through two divorces herself and was a bit gun shy about getting involved in another relationship. 

When Jim and Kate first laid eyes on each other, there was electricity between them the likes of which neither one of them had ever experienced with anyone else.

Each one tried to dismiss the feeling but, by the second day of the cruise, Kate and Jim became inseperable. Two years later Jim popped the question and Kate said, "yes" at the top of her lungs.

She had been waiting for that day to come and now she was to become Jim's wife.

The day of their wedding started off as the most perfect day ever. It was sunny with just a hint of breeze coming off the beautiful Pacific Ocean. Kate had been bustling around early because she still had a couple of final appointments to take care of. Thankfully the salon she chose for her hair and nail appointments were in the same store.

That done, Kate had gone over to Burt's shoe emporium to pick up her wedding shoes that had finally arrived that morning. 

 Kate was thrilled when Burt brought them out. She was extremely pleased with the way the shoes had turned out and, couldn't wait to put them on.

Kate was almost ready to meet her husband to be on the beach when

there was a knock on the dressing room door. Kate thought it would be her bridesmaids come to collect her for the wedding but the voice from the other side of the door was Jims. Something was wrong.

He shouldn't be here as it was bad luck to see the bride before she walked down the carpet. Then, she saw Jim's face which was white.

 Jim came in and collapsed on the sofa. It was then she saw a piece of paper fall from his hand.

 Kate snatched up the paper which was a telegram from Oregon. She read it and almost fainted. It was from Jim's ex wife and read Caroline is in the hospital and not expected to live. Please come immediately!

What has happened, Kate shouted out in fear? She turned to peer into her groom's face. 

As soon as Jim had received the telegram he phoned the hospital that his daughter was in and was informed that his oldest daughter Caroline had been in a car accident and was in very serious condition. The doctor said he should come as soon as possible because Caroline probably wasn't going to survive.

Kate and Jim stared at each other speechless for a few seconds then, both jumped into action.

Kate got on her phone and booked two plane tickets to Portland, Oregon. Jim was headed out the door to let their guests know there wouldn't be a wedding due to a serious family emergency.

The guests were a little disappointed after traveling to Maui from various places on the mainland. However, several offered to help any way they could.

Jim thanked everyone and hurried back to his hotel room to throw a few things into a small suitcase. Kate had already beat Jim to it and was waiting in his room ready to leave immediately. The limo they rented earlier to take them to their reception was waiting and the two jumped in quickly piling their suitcases in first. The driver had a curious look on his face as Jim snapped, "take us to the airport!"  

Jim and Kate had not spoken a word to each other lost in worry about what they would discover upon arrival to the hospital. Their flight to Oregon would take five hours and they still had a three hour drive to endure before getting to the town Caroline lived in. Jim had to fight to keep from bursting into tears. He shot a sideways glance at Kate and saw tears trickling down her cheeks. She had changed into the dress she had purchased for their honeymoon. 

Kate looked absolutely stunning but then, Kate was a beautiful woman in Jims eyes. 

As for Kate, she was freightened at what they would find when they got to the hospital. Would Caroline still be alive? How would Jim react if his daughter had already passed from her injuries? So many unanswered questions flew through both their minds as the plane seemed to be flying in slow motion.

They arrived at the airport and rushed to retrieve their luggage. The car Kate had arainged to be waiting for them was already parked nearby.

It was dark now almost midnight when they finally arrived at the hotel room Kate had reserved for them. It was only a mile from the hospital. While Kate freshened up Jim called the hospital again and reached his ex-wife who was crying. "Hows Caroline, hows Caroline he shouted into the phone"! All he heard was hurry. 

Kate was already at the door waiting to leave for the hospital and for a brief moment he thanked God for Kate. She always knew what to do in any given situation. Without her cool calmness, Jim would have collapsed hours ago.

They jumped into the car and sped off to the hospital each dreading what may be ahead.

Jim's ex-wife was standing in the hallway across from Carolines room, she was sobbing.

Jim and Kate looked at each other and the dread in each other's eyes was rentching. Jim started to walk slowley up to his ex-wife, Kate trailing silently behind.

Jim reached out gently to touch his ex-wife when suddenly she turned with a start. Their eyes met and Jim froze, it was at that moment he knew by then it was too late.

November 14, 2020 23:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Echo Sundar
17:53 Nov 21, 2020

Love this story!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.