2 comments

Contemporary Funny Fiction

Chilly winter breezes blew on Kai, as winter in the classrooms still meant ventilation. But Kai did not really care. "Yessss!" Kai gave a big thumbs up to his Advanced IT teacher. He did feel like a tiny midget, mixing it with such overgrown Year 12 teenagers. Never mind, he held his own. Kai was the first to complete their task. He had designed and built a mini-robot.

Kai held his breath as he switched it on. Lights blinked, its eyes opened. Thrilling. Kai had invented his own homework helper. He had made a girl robot, because Kai liked girls. Shame they did not like him so much.

Kai typed on the robotic display unit, "Your name is Thinkburger. You are going to think up the right answers to all my Maths. Can your hear me?" "Yes, master," said Thinkburger, in a metallic sort f way. "When do I start?"

The giant senior students looked on. They were a bit amazed. But hey, boys will be boys. Kai popped Thinkburger into his backpack, as he headed to his homeroom.

Kai's new homeroom teacher was Mr. Niroshi, the school counselor. He had a big sad emoji face. He had the flu, his throat was sore. He coughed all over the class. They still had to attend school the next day. Would they all survive this breeze of influenza? Would Mr. Niroshi? He sounded worse than anyone else.

Kai hoped that his Year Seven D class would not have a substitute teacher the next day. All the kids hated relief teachers .Or, instead, if Mr. Niroshi was a no-show, their class would be split up and turfed into other homerooms.

The next day, Kai took Thinkburger to school with him in his backpack. Very useful. Maybe she could do his Maths today. He, too, was coughing as he strolled into the classroom.

The principal stood in front of the class, as Mr. Niroshi was home in bed with the flu. "Is he allergic to us? Kai asked Rianna. But she just ignored him. His star girl was still not talking to him.

The principal told Year Seven D to turn on their e-readers and laptops, and sent them all online learning lessons.

"Now behave yourselves!" he said, leaving Year Seven D students to manage while he sorted another form. "We won't!" called one cheeky lad, after the Principal had left the scene.

It was that wintry, germy sort of year, with lots of teachers absent. Year Seven D settled, planning to cruise through a fabulous Friday. No one really wanted to do too much learning, might damage their developing brains. About half and hour went fast. The big bully boys were sitting down the back, gazing at the NBA on their screens. No one was doing any task the Principal had set them.

"What's that?" "Eeeugh!" "Creepy!" Kai looked up from his phone. "Oh, no!" Thinkburger had escaped from Kai's backpack. She rolled to the front of the classroom, and climbed to stand on Mr. Niroshi';s chair.

A small cannon appeared on Thinkburger's forehead. She started firing bombs at the ceiling, surrounding the students with a cloud of pink smoke. She was a lady, after all. Year Seven D kids all stopped mucking around. Stunned, they stared at the midget robot. She started to lecture them in her squawking voice. Thinkburger thought she was the perfect teacher.

"Right!, listen up. I'm your educator for the day. You are going to get an education. Turn off that NBA right now. Switch on to Basic Algebra. Now! "What if we don't?" one of the boys grumbled. Thinkburger turned her cannon in his direction. Scared, he muttered, "Okay, okay. We get the message! Who brought the robot?"

"Oh, Kai, who else?" Rianna whinged. Kai tried to make himself invisible. He hated Maths, he just could not do any sums properly. Thinkburger spoke again. "Zip lips! Here's how you are going to do Question 1. She sent them examples to their laptops. "You can do Question 1. Submit answers, right now!' The kids all obeyed. They had instant corrections from the bossy robot.

"Surprise, you all got Question 1 correct." "Now, can we stop dong Maths?" Rianna asked, hating Maths too. "No, there's a 100 algebra sums to do, plus an online quiz. No backchat, I am going to send your results to the Principal.

The Year Seven D students were horrified and sulking, let alone sooking Thinkburger said, "Now, behave, or I'll bomb you." "You're a bully," one boy complained.

"Absolutely!' Thinkburger replied.

Scared, the Year Seven D solved 100 sums, groaning and muttering rude words in whispers. Thinkburger pretended not to hear them. Then she sent their laptops an online Maths quiz. It contained another fifty sums. Everyone was giving Kai some very dirty looks. He tried to pass the quiz. It would be the first time ever. He was still trying to look invisible.

Kai realized he had made some mistakes in designing Thinkburger. His little robot was supposed to be solving his sums, not him. She had gone rogue, a real control freak.

After the Maths test, Thinkburger said, "Well done, you all passed Algebra today. Many of you got A's. Now for English, essay writing. "What about lunch?' one big boy asked, "We're starving." "Tough!" said Thinkburger, "on with the show, Topic 1---"Who wins any war?" Start writing now!"

"Then what?" Rianna complained, "Kai, we're going to get you for this!" Thinkburger's cannon appeared again, pointing in Rianna's direction.

Soon the whole class was silent again, busy, terrified. They were finally co-operating with a teacher. At last, their schoolwork was finished. "Now, can we have some recess?" the students asked the midget robot. But unfortunately, Thinkburger was also a queen of clean.

"No breaks, it's time to clean up this disgusting, messy classroom. Here's some mops, polish for your desks, and there's the vacuum cleaner. None of you are going home until this place is spotless and gleaming. And I want those books and IT equipment totally tidy. Totes!"

"Fabbo!" said Kai. Sulkily, the Year Seven D boys and girls all obeyed Thinkburger. Even when the home time bell sounded, Thinkburger kept the whole grade in, until the Principal arrived. He walked in and looked around the classroom."Well, well,well. You did behave yourselves after all. I am very impressed. "

"Kai, you and I are going to start a robot teacher business. We'll make millions. You are going to mass produce more robots to take over the whole education system."

"As if...." Kai thought. He gulped. Rianna was looking at him, still cross. He put up his hand, "Excuse me, it's past our home time. Our parents are expecting us.""

"Quite right," said the Principal. "I really can't believe it's Friday afternoon already. I'll see you on Monday at 9 am!"'

"Oh, joy!" Kai said softly. He grabbed the Thinkburger off the teacher's chair, and stashed her in his backpack. He zoomed through the door before the bully boys could get him.

Surprise! Kai was half way home, when Rianna caught up to him. "Kai, look! I got an A in the Maths test. First time ever. My Dad said he'd give me a $100, if I ever got an A in Maths."

Kai sort of smiled. "Oh, now you're talking to me again?"

"Yes, look, this is great. I''ll take you to lunch tomorrow with my Maths money. Just don't bring that horrible robot to school again. We're all exhausted."

Just then, Thinkburger, resting in his backpack, snored. Loudly.

Kai and Rianna laughed. Kai said, "Just for today, do not worry. I won't be making any more Thinkburgers, deffo not!"

He grinned. Rianna was taking him on his first date. '"I'll never understand women. Scary." he sighed.

"Absolutely," Rianna agreed, "Cheers for chicks!"

March 04, 2024 17:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Alexis Araneta
14:23 Mar 05, 2024

Another adorable one, Julie. This has a lovely flow to it. Great job !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
04:42 Mar 05, 2024

Kai made some points with Rianna today!♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.