2 comments

Fiction Crime

“Ok, I think I’m ready now,” Remie says to Jay through a mouthful of sandwich.

“Ew!” Jay says, waving his hand under his plugged nose, “when we steal all that money, we have to buy you some mouthwash. Pee-u!”

“You know how I get...” Remie says, “I’m stress eating!” he takes another bite. Jay rolls his eyes, and then takes the sandwich and throws it into the trash can nearest them. 

“Hey! I was eating that!” he exclaims.

“We don’t have time for this! Now, we’re going to go in there, take that money, and get out. Got it?” he asks.

“I guess,” he sighs, “but I’m gonna buy a new sandwich on the drive home,” he crosses his arms. Nothing can change his mind. 

“Fine. Come on!” he fixes his fancy academy suit he found on ebay, and they go in. The middle-aged teller looked up from his paperwork.

“Why, hello there young men! How can I help you today?” he says, showing off his pearly whites. 

He’s shaped like a pear, with a head almost too small for his neck, and a neck too thick for his head. He has deep brown hair, a long, tan trench coat, and a dark blue hat with the tag still on it. It’s the latest fashion. If you live in the early 19th century. 

All this goes through Jay’s head when he looks at this man. I guess being drilled by the cops, locked up in a cell for 3 years, and forced to make “friends” with some of the worst kids in the U.S. will really bring out the worst in you. He shutters internally. 

He will never let that happen again. Juvie didn’t make him a better person. It only taught him to cover his tracks better. This was the first major job he had done since he was released, and he wasn’t going to overlook a single detail.

“Hello, I am Jay, and this is my fellow student, Remie,” he pauses to jester towards Remie, who waves, and continues, “we were wondering, do you think we could have a tour of this place? Our dad’s dropped us off at the park across the street, and told us to find something educational to do. We saw this magnificent building, and we thought we’d come ask,” He beams at the teller, his heart beating faster than it should. 

“Well, I’m not the one to ask. I’ll go get the manager. This is actually perfect timing! He was saying how he never had anything to do, especially on the weekdays,” he explained. 

Jay lets out a breath he didn’t know he was holding. The teller didn’t suspect a thing! They waited a little bit, and a larger man who looked rather wealthy came out with a smile so wide, it looked like his freshly-trimmed face might shatter. Jay slightly flinches. Why is everyone so happy all the time. It made him sick. 

“Hello, I’m Remie, and this is Jay,” he reaches out his hand to shake, and the manager shakes Remie and Jay’s hands

“I’m so glad you boys came here today. There doesn’t seem to be very many young people nowadays who seem to be interested in the banking industry,”

“Yes, it is quite disappointing,” Jay says, fixing his cheap tie, even though it was perfectly fine the way it was. He was just a bit nervous. They follow the manager around the bank. They see many people, mostly older, wealthy looking white men, and a few women. They pass a room full of little safes, and Jay basically has to drag Remie away from the room. 

Finally, they came to the jackpot: the giant safe in the back.

“Wow,” Remie says, and you could almost see the stars light up in his eyes. Jay jabs him in the side. He looks confused, and then he scampers to the vault, and starts the procedure of opening the vault.

“This is amazing! I’ve never seen such a magnificent vault!” He steps away from the vault, toward the opposite vault, and the manager follows him with his eyes.

“Yeah, this old thing is a beauty,” he says, clearly proud of his vault. “It holds all the cash we give from the people’s accounts. We have the most money and business out of the whole chain of banks,” he smiles, and Jay smiles back. It’s taking all his will power to not look at his friend behind the man. 

By this time, Remie should be getting a bunch of the money, and going into the bathroom through the secret tunnel.

The manager and Jay finish the tour. 

“Well, that’s the end of the tour. Hey, weren’t there two of you…?”

“Oh, he just went to find the bathroom. Where is it, actually. I have to go too,” he asks.

“It's right down the hall and to the left,” he points straight ahead, and he sees the sign.

“Thank you! And have a nice day,” 

He walks into the bathroom and whispers, “Remie…? Are you there…?” There’s a pause, and another whisper.

“I’m here. Is that you, Jay?”

“Yes, it’s me,” he whispers back 

“Codeword?” Remie says.

Jack rolls his eyes, “I’m here for the money, mwa ha ha,” he says in his evil voice, but he made sure not to say it too loud.

“Ok, I’m ready.” Remie steps out of the stall, with his fake stomach he had on before was only slightly larger, but anyone who took a glimpse at him would just see a slightly overfed boy. Jay couldn’t help but laugh at this.

“Hey, this WAS your idea,” he says, doing his baby voice.

“Time to go to the get away car. Yay,” Jay says bordley. 

“Let’s go,” Remie replies.

They walk outside and one of their buddies is parked outside in the nice car they “borrowed”. Remie waves at the teler they saw earlier for good measures, and they get outside, and get into the car. 

“Soooo, how much is there?!” their buddy asks when they're a few miles away from the bank. The boys were sitting in the back, counting it. They were already at almost 10,000 dollars, and there was still a bunch more.

“We’re at 10,000 at the moment,” replied Remie, showing the money. They get onto the highway then, and they had gotten away with it. 

“Alright, imma get out now. Nice knowin’ ya.” Remmie passes him the 5,000 dollars they promised him. Remie takes over and their off.

 Jay sits back, happy with his haul, for now.

The 

End

November 18, 2020 17:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Thom With An H
20:10 Nov 18, 2020

This is your first Reedsy story and it's a good one. There is a place where you use the word jester and I think you mean gesture. Other than that I think it looked great. Keep writing and you will continue to improve.

Reply

Killian G.
14:49 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you so much, and I see that now XD.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.