Winter Vacation

Submitted into Contest #129 in response to: Set your story in a snowed-in chalet.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Friendship

The mountains of Stoney Creek have always been a home away from home for Katie. She loves the outdoors, whether its cold or hot you will always find Katie breathing in the fresh air.

It's the middle of January and its time for Katie's annual trip to the Stoney creek Chalet. Her four best friends Mia, Brianna, Vanessa, Selena, along with Mia's and Vanessa's boyfriends Jacob and Samuel.

Two days later Katie and her friends are on their way to the Stoney Creek Chalet. In four hours they will reach the Chalet.

On the drive to Stoney Creek Mia begins to sing and everybody joins in, then they talk about what they are going to be doing.

Jacob and Samuel want to go skiing, they ask the girls if they want to go. At first they are hesitant to go, but after some talking, they agree.

Four hours later Katie and her friends arrive at Stoney Creek. Katie drives up to the Chalet and parks the car, they get out of the car and begin to unload.

The Chalet is just as beautiful as Katie remembers. A two story house with a sloping roof, constructed wood and other materials like stone, walking inside the home look up and you will see a beautiful high ceiling both on the first and second floor. In the front and back of the home are two balconies with a perfect view of the mountains.

"I love this place every time I see her." Katie says.

After settling in and unpacking Katie and Brianna go food shopping, while the others take out the ski equipment.

Katie and Brianna arrive back with tons of food, water and snacks. They put everything away and walk to the living room to talk to the others about they are going to be doing.

Mia points out the sun is setting, so they decide to stay in, make dinner, after words, build. fire, make s'mores and tell ghost stories. Everyone happily agrees.

Dinner consists of stake with mash potatoes and veggies. Once dinner is made and eaten, Jacob builds a fire and they sit around the fire place.

Katie asks who is going to tell the first story. Jacob raises his hand.

Jacob begins to tell the story.

"It was a cold winter's night, the wind is howling, the moon is high in the sky, inside the hill manor all is quite expect for little Ava. Little Ava is playing with her dolls when someone calls her name Ava, Ava, Ava. Little Ava is not scared, she is happy and smiles. She goes to play with her friend. They run around the house playing hide and seek. Ava giggles when her friend finds her. They play until Ava's mother tells her it's time for bed, a little while later little Ava wakes up, she laughs and gets out of bed. Little Ava walks to the kitchen, picks up a butcher knife and walks to her parents bedroom. She opens the door, silently walks to her mother's side of the bed and violently stabs her over 50 times, then she walks to her father's side of the bed and stabs him over 50 times, then little Ava takes a knife and stabs herself.

Because of the snow storm, and where the manor is located the bodies of little Ava and her parents were never found. Two decades later the Hill manor was finally found, but the bodies were never found. The manor was restored to its former beauty and sold to a young family, then the unimaginable happened the family was murder, this time their bodies were found with no explanation, the house was again sold and again the family was murder, then the house was sold again and again and again and each time the family was murder. The Hill manor was finally closed and torn down, but the surrounding area is said to be haunted by the voices of the people murder inside Hill manor. You can still hear the wails of the children."

Jacob finishes his story by adding that Hill manor is a few miles from where we are and if you are quiet the wails of the children can be heard from here.

Everybody stayed quiet looking at Jacob. Mia spoke up first and tells Jacob he's crazy. Jacob smiles.

After a few more s'mores and more ghost story telling Katie and her friends go to bed.

The next morning Katie wakes up bright and early, she takes a shower, gets dress and heads down stairs to make breakfast. A few minutes later she is joined by Brianna, Mia, Vanessa, Selena, Jacob and Samuel.

They eat breakfast quietly, then they get ready to go skiing. Katie and her friends hike up Stoney Creek Mountain, once they get up the mountain they put on their skis, Jacob is the first to go down followed by Samuel then Mia, Vanessa, Brianna, Selena and last Katie.

They ski for the next two hours, then they go back down the mountain, when they reach the Chalet, Katie and her friends have a snowball fight, they have a blast, then they go inside change their clothes and make dinner.

After dinner the friends gather around the fire place and they talk about anything, there life, work, family, now they decided to play Monopoly.

They laugh so hard their stomachs begin to hurt, after sometime playing the friends go their separate ways. Mia and Jacob go to their bedroom, as well as Vanessa and Samuel.

Brianna and Selena stay in the living room and Katie goes to the balcony, she sits on the chair and looks at the mountains.

"What a day today? this is the reason why I love coming here. There is no place better to be." Katie says to herself.

Half an hour later Katie goes back inside, she grabs a snack then joins Brianna and Selena in the living room, they play board games and talk until the next morning.

January 18, 2022 18:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.