3 comments

Coming of Age Friendship Romance

Edward and I grew up on the same street. We both had brown hair and loved to ride our bikes in the road, so naturally we had to be best friends. My parents never had another boy but I can confidently say I have always had a true brother in Ed. As those young years flew by and our interests matured beyond cartoons and playgrounds to include the opposite sex, we would consistently share our juvenile thoughts on girls with each other. It was thanks to this bond that I was privileged enough to be present, when he first noticed June.


I remember feeling Edwards sharp elbow in my ribs and being forced to raise my eyes from a novel we were supposed to be reading in literature class. I followed his eye line to a girl standing at the teacher’s desk and rolled my eyes waiting for the inevitable crude comment about her body to be whispered into my ear. Instead he simply muttered,

“I never noticed before…how beautiful she is”

It was in that moment that I’m sure he fell in love with June.


Over the following months Ed positioned himself into situations where he could speak with her; they were made partners in multiple class projects and he would awkwardly greet her in the hallways every time she passed. Teenage courtship as we can all recall was long, drawn out and full of memories that we cringe over as adults; in this case though, the two of them seemed to get stuck at that point indefinitely. June was clearly receptive to Edwards clumsy advances, they would flirt ad nauseam and I would hear her excitedly whisper to her friends about him, but neither seemed willing to take the leap of faith into something more. I would blame it on the inexperience of youth, but this continued for years until the pair fell into a sort of equilibrium of a will-they, won’t-they friendship.


Edward and I were lucky in our high school adventure to develop a tight group of friends around us, one that would last a lifetime and grow with new partners and children over the decades to follow. A true blessing of human connection. June was instrumental in this, joining the original gang with a few of her friends as some of the founding members and so I myself grew to cherish her as an individual. None of this would prove to break the link between her and Ed, they simply continued their dance within the larger group dynamic. I would watch them find excuse to sit with each other at the movies, share a blanket at a campfire on the beach, bring each other snacks and little gifts; all in full knowing view of the rest of us. When alcohol entered the scene and we reached an age where parties took precedence, I could sense his anxiety when she over indulged. Edward would always check on her and walk her home to ensure her safety. He was the perfect gentleman, the ideal friend.


This status quo continued through college where despite being separated by distance, they would remain close with regular calls and messages. The miles did however give them both a chance to explore other relationships, all of which were naturally short lived. I can’t say that my college days were any more successful romantically so I would hesitate to blame this on their preoccupation with each other, although I had my suspicions.


I asked him about June once. Enquired as to whether he desired a deeper relationship with her. He shut me down a little too promptly with the feigned denial that they were just friends and always had been. June responded in kind when asked, even more aggressively declaring him like a brother and how ridiculous that notion would be. I did not believe either one of them for a second. 


More years disappeared and as the college era closed out, we all moved into adulthood. We did less and less as a group as we got older; jobs, new partners and the trials of life intervening. However I learned often of their regular dual adventures; time spent alone together in the name of an enduring friendship. It warmed me that they maintained the level of association that the rest of us struggled to keep up. One occasion stood out among others; June asked Edward to teach her how to construct a tent in preparation for a summer abroad as a camp counsellor. They spent a night alone together under the stars, which he professed afterwards as completely innocent. When larger gatherings were organised, I always caught wandering glances and smiles between the two of them, as if they shared secret words with a look. This inner circle of two they had, to the exclusion of the rest of us, for some reason never seemed unusual to either one.


It was to my great surprise when Edward declared his engagement. To another woman. It seemed he had fallen head over heels for a local girl in our hometown and they intended to marry after only a year together. The ceremony was beautiful, they seemed very happy and I wished them all the best despite my confusion. I had always imagined he would eventually get it together and end up with June. She followed suit, marrying another far less likeable man and they both seemed to abandon their hold on one another. I knew my friend well enough though to see the hidden pain in his eyes at her wedding, despite all their claims and the wife by his side I could sense his heart breaking. I did not comment, nor interfere in their chosen lives. In fact offered only support as I thought was proper.


Fast forward five years through two messy divorces and we end up right back at the beginning of the tale. Both Edward and June setting out on their lives once more from our hometown, a little wiser and with a few more grey hairs, they both looked to respective futures while continuing to pursue the cover of friendship between them.


Until one fateful Sunday I get the phone call from my chosen brother that I have waited half a lifetime for. 

“I never noticed before…how beautiful she is” he whispered down the line.

That, was a lie.


Now if everyone could raise a glass and join me in toasting the longest, most denial filled, yet truest and most enduring lifetime of love I have ever witnessed. To you both, my dearest friends who were destined to be here today, no matter how much you both fought against it. I need not wish you happiness together in your marriage, for I think you have had that for a very long time. Cheers!

July 15, 2024 23:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Cidney Mayes
23:17 Jul 24, 2024

I enjoyed your story! I was wishing for more showing instead of telling as I was reading, but when I got to your final paragraph I quickly changed my mind. The ending was great, and I found myself rereading your piece now that I knew the outcome! This story was great testament to life-long friendship and second-chance romance.

Reply

James Scott
00:37 Jul 25, 2024

Thanks Cidney! I’m glad you liked it and it was worth a second read! I was trying to decide whether to make it more obvious from the start what was happening but decided against it. Still not sure which would have worked better.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
23:18 Jul 21, 2024

Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.