THROUGH FREDERICK’S WINDOW

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Write a story that involves a magic window — or a window like no other.... view prompt

0 comments

African American Inspirational American

THROUGH FREDERICK’S WINDOW


Frederick woke up and crawled off the pallet in his room. His room was attached to the large chicken coop next to the big red barn that Massa Captain Anthony built not long ago. 

It was a huge beautiful red barn filled with many animals and feed of all types that Frederick loved to play in when he had free time.


Once his feet hit the wooden plank floor he walked over to the window and looked for the sunrise, which was just beginning to peek out above the treeline behind the large field in front of the barn. There was only one window in his little room and he often watched the sunrise from that window. It was one of his favorite things to do. He never got to see the sunset because he always had to work past dark.

Just being alone in solitude sometimes gave him peace of mind. He would watch and think about his world and wonder about many things. 

He would think about the things he had seen through that window looking out of the small shack. The thing that was mostly on his mind today was what happened two nights ago. 

At the front of the barn, when the big doors were open there was a red gate that stretched across the front entrance of the barn to keep the animals in. On that gate, he could still see stains and dark patches. 

What he saw the other night caused those stains. 

As he thought about it, it all began to creep back into his mind. 

The day had been extra hot. When he finished his work he was extra tired and sleepy after eating his supper.  

When he laid down, he began to drift off into sleep. Suddenly a commotion in front of the barn made him jump up from his pallet. 


He knew better, but he crept to the window and peeked out into the barnyard. He heard loud screams, horses neighing, and snorting, men yelling, and one in particular above the rest, Massa. He saw torches, smoke, and dust, all around the big gate at the front of the barn. What he saw he could never get out of his mind.


Behind one horse, through all the dust and smoke, the torchlight flickered on something, no, someone, being dragged by rope towards the barn. The figure rolled, and lurched, and dragged itself to its feet and he could see now who it was. It was his Aunt Hester. Two of the men, who were on foot, ran to her and grabbed her by the arm, one for each man.


As they snatched her struggling body, he could see her better. Her face was scraped and bloody on one side, her bare shoulder and arm were caked with dirt and blood on the same side. Her dress was torn and shredded up top, barely clinging to her body. She attempted to get one foot up to walk but could not, fell again with her legs dragging in the dusty clay behind her, bare feet kicking in vain. 


The thick rope was still around her waist, held by the man on the horse, and the two men that grabbed her, drug her to the gate of the barn and began to tie her to it, just as Jesus was strung up on the cross, arms, and legs spread, with her bare back facing them all. 

Please, Massa, she begged, please, believe me, I’m not lying she screamed, gurgling blood. 


Frederick knew what was to come next. He had seen it all before. But this was his Auntie. He wanted to turn away but could not. Suddenly he felt faint, a hot rush of dread moved over his body from his head to toe. He struggled to turn away but could not. 


Shut your goddamn mouth whore. I know what you did and now you will pay, Massa screamed, looking like a man possessed, as he drew the whip to strike her. The first lick hit her at the base of her neck and the split skin opened down the top of her back, blood gushing out immediately like a fountain. Priscilla screamed so loud Frederick felt it all the way to his bones. She fell limp on the gate. 


When Frederick saw her fall over, his feelings of dread intensified. He closed his eyes and the room started to spin. A darkness came over him for a time, he wasn't sure how long. He caught himself and straightened up. As he was coming back to his senses he realized it wasn’t dark outside anymore. The sunlight filtered through the window in a magnificent glow of orange, yellow, and white. 


As he looked out he noticed someone was standing on the other side. He blinked a few times and saw that it was his grandmother Betsy who he thought had been sold a few years ago down to Georgia on the Jones plantation. 


Hello Frederick, she said, as she reached out her hand. Frederick was a little scared now, not because he didn't expect to see his Grandma, but because her hand was coming through the window as if the window was not there. What, how are you doing that? Grandma? The window began to twist, and distort. It began to swirl. He saw Grandma Betsy smile warmly as he began to feel light, like a feather, he reached for her, and he started to lift off the floor, his head going first as she guided him through the window. 


He didn't understand but he floated completely through the window, like a cloud, and once outside, he was back on the ground. Outside, however, it never looked like this before. The barn sparkled in red brilliance, and the grass was greener than ever before, with flowers blooming all around the yard as if old MO the gardener had done his best work ever. 


Grandma Betsy looked down at him with so much love, her eyes and mouth smiling so beautifully, he forgot everything else. She began to speak to him in a warm grandma way that sent chills of love through his body and he could focus on nothing else. 


I love you Grandson, and I came here today to bring you a special message from God.

They were still holding hands and as she began to walk toward the field, and he walked with her. He felt proud and happy that his grandmammy was here. Nothing else mattered.


Frederick, you are a very special little boy. One day you will do many great things and you will guide people black and white, to a better place in this world. I’m here today to show you how that is going to happen, so I want you to listen carefully and never forget what I’m going to say and show you today. 


OK grandma, he said. They got closer to the field, which was thick with corn, towering high over their heads, and as they walked hand in hand, they began to go faster and faster, until the cornrows were a blur, passing by so fast Frederick could not make out a single stalk. 

He was not afraid though.


As they slowed it appeared they were in a room, he saw a woman, and a boy, a few years older than him, sitting on a couch in a parlor, with fine decorations, and beautiful furniture all around the room. Such a fine room. 

As he looked at the boy he realized it was himself. Grandma, is that me? Yes, she said, just listen for now. The lady on the couch began to speak. 

Now, Frederick, I am going to teach you to read and write because I want you to grow to be smart and strong. Even a slave should know how to read and write and I want to help you. Let’s start with the alphabet. A.B.C. Now you repeat. ABC he repeated after her. Those are the first three letters of the alphabet. There are 26 in all and you will need to know them all to read and write. 


She handed him a piece of paper and a big fat piece of wood with a black tip on the end. 

This is a pencil. You can use this to write with. All you have to do is press it on the paper and make the letters. I will show you. 

She took his hand, placed the pencil in it so that the blacktip was on the paper, and began to move it. 


Frederick was amazed. He had seen people write before, but he never thought he would be doing it. White people did not like to teach slaves to read and write and even though he was a little scared he knew this is what he wanted more than anything. He always wanted to learn how to read and write. 


Grandma said. I am going to show you your life so you will be prepared. Don’t be afraid, you are a strong boy and will grow to be a strong man. Always remember to keep your faith in God, not man, and he will protect you.


Frederick began to understand. Even though he was just seven he was wise beyond his years. Some said he had been here before. The old mothers always said he was aligned with the stars in the heavens the day he was born.

Her grip tightened on his little hand and they began to glide again at the fast pace like before. This time the scene opened on a city street. The street was so long it seemed to never end. Tall stone buildings lined both sides of the street. Tall poles with lights on top lit the street for as far as he could see.

He could see a young man dressed in some type of uniform. The young man was talking to himself and Frederick could somehow understand everything he was saying. New York. I am finally free. I am in New York, a free man. Thank you, Jesus. The North Star is true. Now I will just rest a bit and then I will find someone to help me. The underground railroad I heard about should be here. 

Little Frederick not only could hear him he could hear his thoughts. Then he realized it was him, just an older him. And now he knew. One day I will be FREE!


Grandma’s grip tightened again and they sped along and ended up in a large open hall. It was the biggest room Frederick had ever seen with huge windows lining each side of the room going all the way from the floor to the ceiling.

There appeared to be hundreds of people, black and white, mingling together like it was normal. A white lady stood in the gigantic speaker's box that loomed over and behind a long table. There appeared to be many distinguished people sitting at the table. The lady began to speak. 


Welcome everyone, to Corinthian Hall, Rochester NY. Today it is my great honor to introduce to you the greatest abolitionist alive. Frederick Douglass. He is, without a doubt, the greatest inspiration in my life today. This is a man who we at the Rochester Ladies Anti Slavery Society are proud to support and we urge each and every one of you to do the same. And now without further adieu, Please welcome Frederick Douglass!


During the roaring applause, the tall brown skin man behind her stood up from his chair and approached the white lady, shook her hands, and hugged her sincerely before approaching the podium on the large stage. He was an older man but stood firm, shoulders erect and head held high. A straight nose and jaw with a grey beard protruding from his face. His flowing gray hair shot out of his head and swept back like it was blown back by the wind. 


He began to speak and the crowd went silent. 


WHAT TO THE SLAVE IS THE FOURTH OF JULY? He started.


As grandma gripped his hand and they began to move, he knew he would never forget those words. 

Once again little Frederick understood, that man was me, this is what I am to become. He was amazed and in awe. 


Grandma looked down at him and said, this is why I am here. I wanted you to know how brave and important you will be in the face of evil. To show you that no matter what happens you can be someone important. 

As she spoke those last words, darkness came over him and he woke up on his pallet in the little shack, staring into the darkness in the little room. There was only quiet at this point and the commotion had died down outside. 

He laid there and thought long and hard about his life and what was to come, and before he drifted off to sleep, he said to himself. 

I WILL DO IT I PROMISE GRANDMA. 


When the morning finally came, he went to work in the kitchen of the big house as usual. After a while, old Moe the gardener came into the kitchen. 

Frederick, I have some news. I just got word that your Grandma Betsy passed away last week down at the Jones plantation in Georgia.

She was an old woman and God has seen fit to take her to heaven, bless her soul. 


Frederick looked at him knowingly and smiled sadly. He said softly, I know Moe, I know...


06/09/21 JE Allison






June 10, 2021 18:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.