15 comments

Fiction

She had barely made it through the day. The experience of training another new employee was still bitter in her throat, making it difficult to swallow. She procrastinated the start of dinner despite the growling hunger pains beginning to announce themselves. 

The girl was sweet, she couldn’t take out the mounting frustrations on her. Trying to keep herself detached from the situation, she had repeated the same instructions that she had over the years as the sea of new employees flowed past her. Would this one follow the others to a higher paying position in a more congenial office? Perhaps her day of training was a mere stepping stone to a better life. On the other hand, as she constantly reminded herself, this one could be her own eventual replacement.

She exhaled a little. At least the day was over, and the evening stretched out without plans. There would be time to regroup before doing it all over again the following day.

It was quiet at home, too quiet with the kids grown and out of the house. The dogs had gotten older as well, their activities alternated between sleeping and looking out the huge windows. Joining them in the den, she settled into her recliner to rest before her hunger would demand preparation of dinner.

Pulling her blanket across her legs, she glanced at the fireplace. When was the last time she enjoyed a roaring fire? The warmth would be welcome, combating the chill she felt deep within her bones. Looking out at the snow covered yard, she studied the icicles hanging from the roof of the gazebo. Memories flooded back from long ago. The summer parties with chips and dip and melting ice cream had been set up for her children in that gazebo. Now the snow blanketed the yard like a bed made by Mother Nature herself. The lack of footprints in the snow proved the abandonment of her once magical sanctuary.

The depression that she had been pushing away all day started creeping in, the dark thoughts bringing with them the feelings of despair. There wasn’t much for her at home anymore with the visits from friends and family becoming less frequent.  She wondered what she had left. Where was her joy? The thoughts spiraled down into their familiar negative spaces. 

Sinking lower into the recliner, she closed her eyes trying to think of something to look forward to. What was even the point, she wondered. Working all day for what reason? Coming home to who? There was little to no incentive to get up each morning other than pushing through the day to return to sleep at night. Would this be her routine forever? Life had become a blur of wake and sleep day after day while her body aged and her mind became dull. Would it even matter if she decided to never get up from this chair? Maybe this was how her story ends. The fatigue was overwhelming along with the depression as she felt herself fighting to stay awake. She still had to feed the dogs, she realized, she couldn’t succumb to sleep quite yet.

A sudden knocking on her front door startled her, made her nervously jump upright with a pounding heart. Who would be showing up at this hour? She stood with the dogs running back and forth at her feet, barking nervously. Maybe one of her girls was in the neighborhood and decided to stop in as a surprise?  She opened the door hoping to see her daughter, and her stomach dropped at the sight of the police.

In a haze of confusion, she let the officers in while the dogs barked relentlessly. She was hardly able to hear the news, the terrible news, the unbearable news. She was dumbfounded, immediately grief stricken, horrified. The world known to her five minutes before had tilted, would never be the same. She was in a thick atmosphere unable to move or take in a breath. The worst news ever. How would she process this, live in this sudden new world she was thrust into? Her legs were heavy with her feet rooted to the floor. Her thoughts raced and then slowed down, becoming blank. It was impossible. Everything was fine five minutes ago, a perfect utopia. She tried to remember what she had been thinking. Why was she depressed, even despondent? How she would give anything to go back to that state, that time before this happened. She would find the joy, the happiness, the gratitude. Because this wouldn’t have just happened. This, which she would not recover from. This, which was beyond anything imaginable.

All in five minutes, that’s all it took. If she could go back a simple five minutes. How could she get back there? Control Z like on a computer keyboard to return things to how they were. She fell to her knees, leaning over, pounding her fists on the floor. Please let me go back. Please let me go back. Only five minutes ago life had been good. She felt the tears well up in her eyes, drip onto the hardwood floor making dark stains, puddles. Her throat was closing, her mouth dry. What in the world was so bad five minutes ago? Now she had this nightmare swallowing her, threatening to take her last possible breath in its intolerable pain.

The dogs were barking incessantly. Were they also in the well of despair she had been thrown into? Did they understand? As the barking grew louder, she felt a new wetness on her cheek, not quite the same as her flowing tears. Confused at this new puzzle piece, she fought for comprehension. She felt a weight on her body, jumping, moving, and heard the barking close by. Disorientated, she felt herself enter a new layer of rising up and out. She started fighting for her life. Anything but this, anything at all. The barking finally broke through, and she was able to pry open her wet sticky eyelids. Bewildered, she found herself in her recliner, the dogs all over her, barking in her face, covering her with wet slimy dog kisses. Was it possible? Did she go back five minutes? Did her control Z work? Fresh tears fell in rivers, tears of relief, of gratitude. She didn’t know what had happened, didn’t yet try to unravel the mystery. She stood. 

“Come on, boys. Who's hungry? How about dinner in front of the fireplace tonight?"

January 21, 2024 23:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

James Seamone
01:28 Feb 01, 2024

How dare you make me feel things! I mean seriously, that was truly heartbreaking. Great job of the suddenness of tragedy on an otherwise pleasantly melancholy day. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
19:29 Feb 01, 2024

LOL! Great reaction! Thanks so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luca King Greek
12:39 Jan 31, 2024

I went down the dark hole of tragedy then came back in a flash!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
14:00 Jan 31, 2024

Yes! That’s life right? Everything can change in a heartbeat. Thanks for reading! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
17:29 Jan 27, 2024

Nice, Hannah, very nice. I was really relating to your protagonist and was on the edge of my seat when tragedy struck, but the way you left the ending up to interpretation was genius. Thanks for sharing this story!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
15:31 Jan 28, 2024

Hi Ty, thanks for the praise! I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:22 Jan 24, 2024

Thanks for the follow Will get back to reading this one when on a larger device than 🤳. You are so good at what you do. The start of this led me thinking it was exactly like something I had thought about for the prompt how there was no one playing in the snow anymore etc. Then it took a totally unique bend to it and left her ever grateful for what she does have. Thanks for liking my 'Where's the Can Opener '.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jeremy Stevens
15:46 Jan 24, 2024

Yeah, this was a dream. Had to be, in my world: "Control Z" wishes do not just happen. I loved the title, and the reference to "wiping things out." I also love the unknown: what had the police been there for? It's more fun to entertain possibilities than to be given answers.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
17:08 Jan 24, 2024

This was fun leaving it open ended and up for interpretation! Thanks for reading and commenting! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:39 Jan 23, 2024

Interesting! We're left wondering - did she get her wish, or was it all a dream? Either way, it's about perspective. She was weighed down by the past, and she caught a glimpse of what truly matters to her in the present - and that changed everything. A stressful experience no doubt, but we can hope it helped her get out of her funk. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
15:23 Jan 24, 2024

Hi Michal! I'm also wondering if she got her wish or if it was a dream lol !! One of those endings to think about.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Christy Morgan
17:53 Jan 23, 2024

Loved the story, Hannah -- I think many of us have felt those pangs where you rue your life, only to have something really terrible happen to show you gratitude again. I'd be on board with a Control Z! Very well done!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
15:21 Jan 24, 2024

Hi Christy! Thanks for reading! Life can change in an instant, it's a scary reminder. I hope she got her Control Z also :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
20:21 Jan 22, 2024

Well, did she? Compelling. Well told.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
20:57 Jan 22, 2024

Hmm …. I guess it’s up to the reader’s interpretation! (I would love if she got her Control Z !!) Thanks for reading 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.