Save the Last Dance for Me

Submitted into Contest #182 in response to: Write a story where someone’s paranoia is justified.... view prompt

37 comments

Romance Sad Fiction

You look beautiful in that dress, floating under the disco lights like silver smoke. You dance in his arms, but I imagine you spooling apart, drifting out of his hold, back to me. No one else can see the ten slight pressure marks where his fingers meet the softness of your flesh, but I feel them like his hands are on me, not you. And you are smiling against his cheek, wearing a lipstick I have never seen you in, never kissed you in, before. 


Your first dance of the night is over and others stream onto the dancefloor as the music cranks up and the party gets going. The bounce of the floor, vibrating with the moving bodies, is like an echo through me: a wave traveling from a place far away. I wish I could sway, or rock, or even just make a few embarrassing moves; feel the pulse of the floor, the beat of the song, and the bodies crushing together, getting slicker and slicker, bumping and grinding with the night. All is in motion and I’m the eye of that storm: still, centered, watching- you.


Before you make them, I anticipate your moves, each familiar like a wave hello, or a kiss on the cheek goodbye. You raise your arms above your head and I see how your left one is a tiny bit crooked, bent in over your head like it’s sheltering you from something, while the right shoots up, registering your presence: yes, it’s me, take note, having the second-best time of my life. 


I remember the first best time of your life; it was with me. 


And yes, it was my first and second and every other best time of my life; rolled up together, into a tight ball, then thrown clean into the euphoria of every blazing tomorrow. 


It had been on a dancefloor much like this one, on a night just as stamp-it-in-the-stars amazing: our prom. I’d had a different date, so had you. We’d never had a single class together, chance had never bumped us up against each other in the corridor or canteen in our massive 1700 student school. Not till that night, when I saw you pose against the white sheet for a photo; lights flashing as you raised your arms above your head, the left one crooked, like it was sheltering you from something; the right pointing straight up, registering your presence to me; take note, boy watching from the shadows, come over and ask me to dance. 


And I did.  


Love at first sight: I don’t think I believed in it till that moment, probably thought it was the stuff of cheesy movies and corny pop songs. But all it takes is a moment to change your mind forever. You handed me your bouquet of flowers and when I admitted I couldn’t dance a step you said not to worry, you’d guide me. On the dance floor, you never put a foot wrong and following you, I quickly realized I had to be going in the right direction. 


If our dates came and flipped out at us for ditching them, I don’t remember it. As the night let its hair down, so did we. At some point I do recall telling you I’d need to take a breather, my feet were killing me and you’d smiled your light-up-the-ballroom smile, and bent down and unbuckled your shoes. Stepping neatly out, you lined them up, a pair waiting for other feet, then looked up at me with a cheeky grin and told me it was time for me to take mine off too. We danced on. When the lights came up after the last dance, our shoes had long been kicked under the jumble of chairs and you were in my arms. 


I need some arms to hold me now, as the DJ mutes the music and everyone stills to hear the groom’s speech. The words are punctuated with whoops of joy, wolf whistles and much clapping. His voice vibrates with tenderness then buzzes to the thrill of yes- she’s mine! It is all just noise, fading to a repetitive swish and crackle: the LP of my pain, endlessly spinning. I wish I could lift the needle, remove the record, but you can’t just silence the soundtrack of your life, it hums perpetually.  


What sort of a record is mine? Well it’s a corny love song, sure, but one that never did play out quite how I planned. I thought my life’s tune would be boy meets girl; I walk you home, and you hold my hand; it could never be just a one night stand and so… we marry. Yes, I thought the lyrics to my life would be chirpy and upbeat: blushing bride, forever at my side. 


It’s easy to make plans; not so easy to keep them when disease, the worst sort, steps up wholly unannounced and decides to be your dance partner, elbowing the love of your life out of the way. Dance classes were dropped, marriage plans put on ice. When the inevitable approached, you got down on one knee beside my sick bed and asked if I was sure: you were ready and willing to marry me. I’d dug deep for the last scrap of strength and told you I’d always love you, but I didn’t need to bind you to me from beyond the grave. Time stands still for no living thing, and I wanted you to move on too; and if that meant, when the time was right, you found love with another, I thought that would be fine with me. As long as they made you happy, then by their side was where you should be; not weeping in widow’s weeds, searching for my face in the grave’s dust. 


I thought I’d set you free, but you still looked for me: in the dent in my pillow; in the lingering smell of my shirt; months later, my toothbrush still nestled yours in the bathroom cup. It took years to bring us to this point: me watching while your husband whirls you in his arms and your laughing eyes catch the light like sparkling glitter balls.


Cry me a river, sings Julie; cry me a river sings Ella. And I sing my version to you, darling Annie. I wish you all the best for your marriage my love, but that doesn’t stop the fact I’ve cried a meteor over you. Here, on the edge of this dancefloor, as the DJ packs up, the crowd spills out and the disco lights dim and die, I am crying as only a star can, fit to burst, with just empty space to hear me. 


Everyone has gone and as your husband bounds down the stairs, eager for the honeymoon to begin, you turn and call out to him that you’ve forgotten something; you’ll be down in just a minute. Stepping back into the dark hall, lit only by streaks of light cast through the windows from the street lamps outside, I feel you look about, your sixth sense reaching for me even as your others let me slip. Your eyes flit to the dancefloor and I wonder if you see phantoms of us like I do; our prom night; the dance classes of so many years ago.


You’re casting about, lost again, unsure; paranoid even, like you half think an intruder might step from the shadows. But you have always been brave, and you chance speaking your thoughts into the shuddering silence:

“Chris?” 


Why the question? You know I’m here Annie, trust your feelings; they’ve served you well up to now. But you don’t. Maybe it’s the drink, maybe all the giddy dancing in the arms of your husband; I force myself to say his name: Tim. The man I did and didn’t want you to find. 


You fear delusion; my own fear is greater: that you’ll turn away, distrusting your instincts, ignoring the truth. I wish I could switch on the disco lights, spin the glitter ball and yank the DJ back by his breeches- make him play the tune we first danced to on that prom night, so long ago. But I can’t, I just can’t. I’m about to give up, disperse, when everything changes as you abandon thought and finally feel my presence. I know you do, it’s like the thinnest, strongest line of gossamer, hanging invisibly from me to you. 


You’ve stopped scanning the room for a stranger and step decisively to the center of the floor. Smiling, you reach down and unbuckle your dancing shoes, rubbing the arch of each foot before flexing your ten perfect toes. 


“I hope you’ve taken your shoes off too Chris,” you whisper softly into the dark.


And you are silver smoke, spooling and drifting; my longing is the force which draws you in, till we’re dancing one last time together. I have no mass, but it truly doesn’t matter: the energy of all ages and a love eternal spins us like stardust.


My darling Annie, you saved the last dance for me. 


January 27, 2023 16:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Michelle Oliver
12:40 Jan 31, 2023

Hauntingly lovely. Such beautiful imagery. I love the way you describe her arms as she dances. I can imagine the contradictions of her personality, that the narrator knows so intimately just from the description, and I like how at the end, she also knows him, recognises him even in death. The line “But you have always been brave” is what really resonated with me, that she was brave enough to go through loving, losing and being vulnerable to love again, and he was brave enough to want her to do so, to see her move on without him. There is suc...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:29 Jan 31, 2023

Absolutely, bravery and then living (or dying) with the consequences. I hadn't thought about that idea of noticing and recognising, but you're completely right: he spends so long looking at her and loving her, and at the end it is reciprocated, even if just on a more instinctive level. Thanks for helping me see something more in my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
17:42 Jan 29, 2023

I see you also chose the I/You POV this week, Rebecca, and you handled it much better than I could! There is a tenderness to this narrator's voice that really justifies the narrative being written this way. I really feel like I'm intruding on a real person's memory here, because of how tenderly he's addressing this "You" character. You rendered their history together, their connection, all of it beautifully. What I like most about this is (about all your writing really, but it stood out here especially) is that all the pieces you place, all...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:25 Jan 30, 2023

Thanks ever so much for your careful reading Zack. Yeah funny we both went for the same POV; don't be hard on yourself at all; you did more than just handle it! I've read a fair few submissions since yours and not just your story but the feeling it prompted is still with me. I'm glad the tenderness came through here as that was definitely what I was aiming at.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
22:09 Jan 28, 2023

Well done. Not a romance fan at all, but I read this all the way through for its lyrical language and because of the mystery you establish: who is the you? who is the watcher? why is he in the wings? and then of course, the reader slowly realizes the watcher is not among the living. It plays out very gracefully and poignantly, speaking of the loss of love that can result from the tragedy of living.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:26 Jan 30, 2023

Thanks so much Laurel, especially for reading if you aren't a fan of romances. I am (usually- except if they are all cloying sweet and no spice or sour at all!) I struggle reading most fantasy to the end; oh and I'm not good with stock thrillers unless they are very light on the gore!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
05:38 Jan 28, 2023

Rebecca, You made me cry with this one! In the beginning I thought the POV had lost his beloved to a fatal illness, only to be proven otherwise. The prose is poetry in motion, each bit evoking a deeper layer of pathos. You play around with the sentence structure as well. My favourite -Before you make them, I anticipate your moves, each familiar like a wave hello, or a kiss on the cheek goodbye.- words move back and forth like a well rehearsed dance. Masterful! Did you intentionally put an extra y in -Yyou know I’m here Annie? Thank you for ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:21 Jan 28, 2023

Thanks Suma. I've not written a romance for a while and fancied a deep draught of pathos, as you rightly point out. If this was poetical, you've made me very happy as I love trying to create beauty with words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:15 Mar 15, 2023

Thank you for this story. This glimpse into what feels like an impossibility for those who have lost love, however reading this sparks hope and curiosity of "what if?"

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:06 Mar 15, 2023

Thank you Sheri for reading so many of my stories! I really loved the tone of this one; thanks for taking me back to a story from a few weeks back. Are you submitting soon?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dan Coglianese
18:50 Feb 23, 2023

Wow, Rebecca! This one really got to me more than I expected. From the first word to the last, this was brilliant. One of the best I've read on here.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
07:01 Feb 24, 2023

Ah thanks Dan. This one was very emotional, poured a bucket load of pathos in! I find I'm getting increasingly sentimental as the years pass. Glad it moved you so much too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
07:51 Feb 03, 2023

Great descriptions that made the story come alive. Loved the dance sequence - I could picture it. Loved the lipstick colour he had never kissed her wearing. A great imaginative story. Enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
06:01 Feb 03, 2023

Beautiful story of love lost, and love going on. I loved the point of view that allowed us to not only see their past, but to understand how real love wants others to be happy in the future, not mourning for what might have been. Well done.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:01 Feb 23, 2023

Thanks so much Denise. I'm very happy you found it beautiful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Halimah Wright
15:52 Feb 02, 2023

Loved the ending, not what I was expecting but nonetheless it was perfect!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:34 Feb 02, 2023

Thanks ever so much! You're me critique of the week so I need to head over to yours!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nathaniel Miller
02:09 Feb 02, 2023

Wow. This is such a beautiful piece, so chock-full of rich, poetic imagery. The characters feel so well-developed that it's difficult to accept that this is just a short story and not a much longer saga. They dance off the page, and are absolutely entrancing. This piece is such a gorgeous examination of love; thank you so much for writing it. You've done extraordinarily well.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:35 Feb 02, 2023

Ah thanks Nathaniel. I am a complete sucker for poetic imagery and if it danced, well that rocks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Ann Ford
23:18 Feb 01, 2023

Such a sweet story. Thank you! You know that your title is a song, right? Have you ever heard the story behind that song? Thinking of it while I read this almost made me cry.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:37 Feb 02, 2023

Hi Mary Ann, my parents raised me on 60s sound tracks so this was playing in my head too. I was rather hoping that some readers might get the added pathos; if you know the song the story plays on an even sadder level as you think of the lyrics and first love...thanks for coming along for the pull-at-your- heartstrings ride.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
17:05 Feb 01, 2023

What a hauntingly beautiful experience it is to read this, Rebecca. You have managed to create two worlds interspersed, though only one can really witness the other - until your wonderful ending, that is. I still feel the tingle and chill from the last line. A truly spiritual experience.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:05 Feb 01, 2023

I think I may have been aiming too high with Wuthering Heights but I'm happy if it delivered a bit of a haunting atmosphere! Thanks so much for the lovely comment Susan. It's all the sweeter as I think I'm sitting this week out unless inspiration strikes tonight!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
10:02 Feb 01, 2023

Really lovely story with a strong twist. I didn’t realise until you revealed it that the MC was no longer alive. There’s a power behind it which is that love lasts beyond death. Even though the woman has moved on, she hasn’t forgotten him. Thanks Rebecca for a moving story which never stops being relevant.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:07 Feb 01, 2023

We can hope can't we, if nothing else, for a love eternal. Some times I'm a sucker for the sentimental; I think it's a retreat from the cynical reality! I'm heading over to yours after dinner.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E. B. Bullet
20:38 Jan 31, 2023

Ohhh this went in a completely different direction than I thought!! Honestly, I've heard so many times that romance and horror are intertwined and that there is SUCH a fine line before the former turns into the latter, and I definitely saw that here! I was convinced some deluded stalker was at Annie's wedding LMAO But the end result ended up being so eternally sweet, in a very silent and cosmic way. Very beautiful!! It tugs at my heart strings 🤧 Amazing work ~! Your word choice is gorgeous

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:25 Jan 31, 2023

Thank you E.B: bullet through my heart ,-) I love a bit of gorgeous so I'm glad this delivered.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah K
12:00 Jan 31, 2023

Such a beautifully and poetically written story. It's like you take the storyline of one young person marrying another sick, dying person (A Walk to Remember) and turn it on its head, creating something less like a fairy tale, but more beautiful and realistic in my opinion. I love how you reveal the story little by little. My first thought: some shallow girl is dancing and flirting at a club, breaking the heart of some guy she used and abused. Next thought - Oh! It's her wedding and the MC was a high school sweetheart. Probably a typical t...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:23 Jan 31, 2023

Thanks so much Hannah for your heartfelt and detailed comment. Yeah, the MC was truly selfless and just as you said, I wanted to show that as honorable, but terribly hard as well. Poor guy, he is really beat up, but I guess that is what true love can do to you and you might suffer, even from beyond the grave.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:52 Jan 30, 2023

Right off the hop, I was wondering: love lost, or stalker? Well, it turned out to be the former, but not quite the way I expected :) You never really replace an old love, do you? You can only build on it, but it's always a part of you. Much like any experience, really. This is made a little more real in this story, with the spirit lingering, a lost soul. There's an interesting line, "The man I did and didn’t want you to find." He didn’t want her tied to him after his death, and instead wanted her to live and be happy. This was a genuine ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:20 Jan 31, 2023

That's it exactly isn't it Michal: bring on the inner conflict. And those moments of great struggle are so interesting for us writers, aren't they; imagining what brings a person to those circumstances and how they might play out and with what consequences. I was pleased this week to come in well under the word limit and to keep the story manageable but still, hopefully, packing an emotional punch. I need to head over to yours. I'm running behind on my Reedsy reading as it is mock exam time in Germany and I have a tidal wave of papers to mar...

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:31 Feb 01, 2023

Heh, I don't know :) Anyone can write about the human condition, but writing about the human condition during a torrential downpour of custard is art :) Best of luck with the marking!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
20:13 Jan 30, 2023

A story as beautiful as the dance it describes. There are actually lots of similarities to dance in here, such as the carefully crafted structure of the story, with it's repetition and echoing language. The smoothness of the words you chose also mirror a glide across the dancefloor. Think this is perfectly captured in 'you are silver smoke, spooling and drifting'. My favourite line is the 'tight ball, then thrown clean into the euphoria of every blazing tomorrow.' Such a vivid image!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:14 Jan 31, 2023

Thanks Edward; glad you went for a glide with this one! I think I've got to the stage where I come up with something one week and then it comes back to haunt me; my Cinderella Respun centered on dancing, but with quite a sinister angle; here the characters get to spin out happily rather than horrifically (well sort of, if you class dancing with a ghost as happy!) A few stories back I was stuck on storms, every story seemed to be with howling winds and flickering flames. I better think of a different theme or image for the weeks ahead!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
05:25 Jan 29, 2023

I love this so much! Might be my favourite story by you... so very sad that I'm surprised to see myself liking it. Well done!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
14:37 Jan 29, 2023

Thanks Rama! I love a bit of sad and I know you like a romance too. I'm hoping to get to yours before I drown in the sea of marking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
06:54 Jan 29, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.