0 comments

Horror Science Fiction Fiction

“There is no way I am letting you cancel this party,” His assistant said, arms crossed over her ample frame, "We have worked too hard for this and she deserves to be seen. Your discoveries will change everything!”

“I don’t care” bellowed the doctor, slamming a fist on the table. he was in one of his volatile moods and Carmina rolled her eyes at his tantrum.

“She wants to be seen doctor; you know this. Let the world see your baby” she pleaded.

“What if they don’t understand?” he asked meekly, tired after his outburst. He was not a young man anymore and his passions took a lot out of him these days.

“They will understand, and if not, we will try another group. It won’t be so bad doctor, and if it is, no one will be left to tell the tale. Really its win, win.”

“I suppose your right. Make sure the nozzles are all cleared before the guests arrive, should they prove expendable, we wouldn’t want any of them escaping.”

“Very good Doctor,” smiled Carmina,” I will see to it now.”

The sky was blue and clear, the air fresh and fragrant as they set up the small tables in the garden. Soon the garden would be full of guests, drinking tea and nibbling on assorted canapes. All here to marvel at the crown achievement, the great flowering of the doctor own creation.

               A new species, created by the reclusive and sometimes mad scientist doctor Druginal. The plant itself was a large collection of small sharp leaves that could cut through most flesh with ease. The foliage so dense that one could not properly see the structure, like a bush she held her secrets tightly behind her leaves. The flower buds just peaking up through the foliage were set to open for the first time for public view. No one, but the good Doctor had any idea what they looked like. Guesses, of course, had been made but speculation was met with a warm chuckle and shaking of the head. No one had it correctly.

               The most interesting thing about the plant, according to doctor Druginal, was the carnivorous nature of his creation. The plant, ‘Sanguinem Remedium’, called Reme, for short, enjoyed the taste of blood. She did not need it to survive but showed actual signs of pleasure when blood was administered.

               “It was the darndest thing” he was heard explaining to a group of party goers, as they clutched their drinks and examined the oddly shaped leaved from behind protective glass.

               “One moment I am taking a cutting from little Reme, and the next she was taking a cutting from me. I suppose its only fair.” He said chuckling to himself, absently rubbing at the faint network of scars on his left hand. He was lost in thought for a moment then smiled lovingly at his plant. He tapped the glass and a few of the leaves shuddered.

“She seemed to like the taste of me, and so from time to time I like to give it a little treat. Though I have experimented with animal products I find I get the best reaction with human flesh. Observe.” He said as he eased the top off the box containing his precious discovery. He reached a hand into the terrarium and waved it before the plant. A few of the leaves and one of the flower buds began to mimic his movements. Almost like a little dance. Then the Doctor looked up and with a grin said “now, watch closely” he put his hand right up to one of the leaves and said to her, “ok now” the leaf curled around his thumb and the entire plant began to shake, a faint keening sound emanated from some where deep inside the plant structure, she shivered and shook and suddenly the smell of fresh baked bread, mixed with vanilla and Applewood wafted from inside the box. A look of pure joy suffused the doctors features, much like a new mother when feeding her child.

               “As you can see,” he continued with out removing his hand from the glass box, “She shows her pleasure by sending out the smells that most appeal to me based on my blood type. Experiments have shown that she doesn’t like avian blood, nor does she like fish, or insects. She is a mammalian blood consumer.

               “Doctor,” began one of the journalists, notepad in hand. “Other then the consumption of blood, what other features does this plant have? Why is she so important?” Smiling the Doctor turned the terrarium around, swiveling it on the long pole it had been attached to. From the back view tiny seed pods could be seen peeking out from beneath of the foliage.

               “These tiny pods are produced when she is fed what she likes, I have analyzed the compounds inside the pods and have found great potential for the making of medicine. Some early studies have reviled the possibility that she might be the very cure to the cancer that has spread among us. “

               “How much blood does she require? To make, say, enough to cure a person?”

               “For now, the discovery is still quite new. We have only just discovered her abilities. The tests have shown that it appears to be a two to one ratio. Two drops of blood for one tiny pod. As it is now, the weight of a person in pods is what is required to have medicinal affects.”

               “Are you saying that it would need to eat two whole people to heal one person?”

               “Quite right” said the doctor, proudly. “it would truly solve two problems at once, don’t you think? Not only do we reduce the population, but those who are left behind are healthy happy creatures, free from disease and pain. wouldn’t that be such a beautiful world.” His eyes misted over as he thought of the glorious new world he was about to create.

               “That’s terrible,” shouted a young man from the back “You can’t just sacrifice people.”

Shouts of agreements sallied forth from the crowd.

               “You all feel this way?” he asked looking around the room, everyone nodded, disgust and anger written across their faces.

               “Well, sacrifice must be made in the name of science.” He muttered under his breath. He nodded to his assistant and gently removed his hand from the biting embrace of his little plant. The nozzles burst up through the soft earth and released the sleeping compound into the confined space of the garden. Soon everyone but the doctor and his assistant were sprawled on the ground, unconscious, vulnerable. The doctor lifted the glass portion from the terrarium and placed it on the table behind him. He watched as the tiny buds opened into little tooth filled mouths that swayed back and forth like tiny serpents. He caressed one with his finder and it nuzzled against him.

               “time to eat my little one, time to feast.”

May 11, 2021 18:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.