0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Sad

A few weeks past, Lina had made a wonderful mistake. A wonderfully mystical, ancient tome had introduced a new danger to her and Skyven, her hometown. She was scouting a grey, slimy cavern for Driplings, a delicious fruit found in dark caverns, when she discovered a hermit monk’s secret alcove. Between various books and carvings she uncovered a worn, ebony, wooden box wrapped in fine chains.

She stashed it after failing to break it open, and climbed back to the surface, not risking her crackling warble-lamp’s red glow dying. Returning to the howling winds that raced across the cliff tops made her flinch and pull her jacket tighter, however the view of several other grass-topped cliffs like seats above the ravine below made her smile.

On the way home she caught herself daydreaming through the forests and groves again, eventually stepping from the treeline and seeing the sprawling beige houses she grew up with. They sat in clusters like finch nests, and Lina headed for her neighbourhood cluster with a determined jog.

Hopping up the metal stairs two by two, she slid her door open and entered her home.

Lab is more like it. Now let’s see if my arsenal can open this chest.

Fishing through piles of books and carefully moving pots and stone artifacts, she uncovered her “stashed” sickle. Turning to the box, she jammed the blade under a chain and jerked it upright, succeeding only in breaking the sickle.

“Crap. Well fine, no fun for me eh?” she scoffed.

After yet more searching she retrieved a hammer and screwdriver, using the latter as a makeshift chisel, finally breaking through the chains with a maniacal cry of joy. Throwing open the box revealed a dusty old tome.

“Well dang it, no jewellery.” she joked.

Someone probably didn’t want their diary to be read. Well this’ll suck for them, hah!

“Jewellery? And you didn’t invite me?” said an old man, with his head popping in from the window.

Lina laughed, “Sorry Mr. Stelve, I figured you would like a surprise more than just some napkins again.”

Mr. Stelve smiled and entered the room.

“Well Lina, you are correct in that regard,” he leaned in, squinting, and inspected the book like a shopper inspecting fruit that may be rotten. “But I imagine this little specimen could be quite interesting. Would you mind if I read it sometime?”

“As soon as I’m done with it, sure. Just don’t burn it.”

They caught up on her adventures, and he excused himself soon after they finished a cup of  humbrew. She waved him goodbye until he entered his own home down below, and then immediately dashed back inside and sat at her desk, carefully opening the tome.

The sky had turned dark red by the time she closed it, breathing out a silent wow. Switching off her table lamp – the warbling red sphere clearing to let the shadows back in the room – she took the tome outside and leaned on the balcony. Her hair swam in the light breeze as she smiled, thinking over her “treasure”.

Reading story books again is fun, especially this one with such vivid and imaginative illustrations. These Hexveiled are such amazing creatures. It’s a shame it’s not something worth more, but reading is a special kind of treasure… Then of course there’s the “warning” at the front of the book, very inspired:

READ NO FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT RECOGNIZE THE NAME HEXVEILED, NOT FOR YOUR SAKE, BUT FOR OTHERS. LEARNING THEIR KIND MEANS PAIN AND FEAR.

It’s a shame the author didn’t sign his work, I enjoyed the bit that I read.

Lina looked up at the darkening sky before heading in, and spotted a dark, furry creature as big as a house, grazing near the forest.

Odd, I haven’t seen one of those before. I’ll have to draw it sometime.

That had been a week ago. Then two days later, as she was thinking over the book again, she looked up to see dark pillars moving outside the window. Running over, she gazed wide-eyed as the pillars were in fact the legs of a much larger, bipedal bird towering over the houses. It’s wicked beak glinted in the sun, deep red in contrast to the glowing sky-coloured eye above it.

Lina heard metal tapping below her, and out of the corner of her eye saw Mr. Stelve approaching. Her mouth wouldn’t open to warn him though, and he smiled as he saw her, his amber eyes joyful.

“Hello Lina, how goes your reading? I’ve got a fantastic new folding cupboard coming in, and I was wondering if you wanted one as well to keep your various treasures on?”

She glanced between the goliath and the hunched Mr. Stelve, who was holding a pale sheet that looked to contain blueprints.

“Lina? What is it that you see? Perhaps you think another storm is coming? You look positively terrified but I assure the sky is-”

“The monstrous bird Mr. Stelve! Is there something I’ve missed? Look at it! It could crush a house, or worse eat someone!” she yelled hysterically.

His smile disappeared and he squinted. “The what? What on earth are you talking about Lina?”

Her mouth opened, and glancing back at the bird, she saw it was now staring directly at her. She froze as the bird turned slowly, its footfalls oddly soft. There wasn’t a shiver in the house as its claw crashed into the ground, making Lina flinch.

“Lina, are you alright dear?”

The bird reared back it’s head, and opened it’s maw silently. Lina turned to dodge, pushing Mr. Stelve with her. Behind her she heard metal tear, the horrible screech eerily similar to the bird’s call as it missed.

Mr. Stelve was gripping the ornate railing with white knuckles, eyes wide for once. Lina started running, skidding to a halt as Mr. Stelve yelled after her, not following, “What the bloody sky is going on Lina? Look at that tear in your house! Explain what’s happening child!”

A lump formed in her throat, “I don’t know! There’s a giant bird that just attacked us, but you can’t see it! Look! Right cracking behind you!” she shouted.

The bird strode past Mr. Stelve, its leg narrowly missing the railing, and headed for Lina. It didn’t glance at the rest of town, likewise its footfalls didn’t even cause any heads to turn. The only danger was Lina being close, so she ran. Dashed through the thick, sharp undergrowth and sprinted across the windswept cliff tops until her breath felt like a cut to the chest.

Turning to look back the way she came, she saw the bird moving in a different direction, but two other Hexveiled were within sight as well. She bit back a sob, letting only a single tear escape.

Being near people is dangerous. These Hexveiled are only after me it seems. I just don’t want to leave them forever.

January 07, 2022 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.