Forever In My Heart

Submitted into Contest #244 in response to: Begin or end your story with a character taking a selfie.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Friendship Sad

The vet's sterile white walls felt like a suffocating embrace. Rain lashed against the windows, mimicking the storm brewing inside Summer. Jaxon, her Cocker Spaniel, lay on the examination table, his once-mighty chest rising and falling in shallow gasps. His fur, usually the colour of black and white, was dull and matted.

Summer reached out, her hand trembling as it brushed against Jaxon’s head. He opened his eyes, a spark of recognition flickering within their hazel depths. A weak tail thump sent a pang through Summer’s heart. It had been seventeen years of walks in the park, muddy paw prints on the living room rug, and a furry head resting on her lap during movie nights. Jaxon wasn't just a pet; he was family.

The vet, a kind woman named Dr. Lind, placed a gentle hand on Summer’s shoulder. "He's a fighter, Summer. But..." she trailed off, her voice thick with unspoken words.

The unspoken words echoed in Summer’s mind: "But his time is coming to an end." Tears welled up, blurring the image of her beloved dog. She didn't want to accept it, couldn't accept it. Yet, looking at Jaxon, his body frail and his breathing labored, denial felt like a fragile house of cards about to crumble.

Summer pulled out her phone. It felt like a betrayal, a frivolous act in the face of such raw emotions. But something compelled her to

capture this moment, this last quiet exchange between them. It wasn't a selfie in the traditional sense; it was a portrait of a love that transcended words.

In the picture, Jaxon’s head rested on the exam table, his eyes

closed. Summer’s hand gently stroked his fur, a faint smile playing on her lips, a smile filled with a lifetime of memories and a love that wouldn't fade with his passing.

"He wants to go home, Summer," Dr. Lind said softly. The words hit Summer like a physical blow. Home. Their home, filled with the scent of Jaxon’s fur and the echoes of his happy barks.

The drive home was a blur of tears and whispered memories. Summer pulled into the driveway, the familiar sight of their house a bittersweet comfort. Jaxon, sensing they were home, lifted his head, a flicker of his old energy returning.

He stumbled out of the car, Summer supporting his weight. They

walked slowly to the back porch, his favourite spot to bask in the afternoon sun. Summer settled him down, a worn blanket draped over his shivering form.

She spent the next few hours curled up beside him, the rain drumming a lullaby against the roof. They didn't need words. Jaxon, though weak, seemed content. Summer shared stories, anecdotes from their shared life – their first walk in the park, the time he chased a cat up a tree and got stuck, the countless cuddles on the couch.

As twilight painted the sky in hues of orange and purple, Jaxon’s

breaths grew shallower. Summer held him close, whispering reassurances that felt hollow even to her own ears.

Just as the first star winked in the darkening sky, Jaxon let out a soft sigh. His eyes fluttered shut, a final tremor running through his body. He was gone.

Grief hit Summer like a tidal wave, washing over her and

drowning her in its intensity. Tears streamed down her face, hot and relentless. But amidst the pain, a strange sense of peace settled over her. Jaxon was finally free from pain, at rest.

She looked down at his still form, the image on her phone screen playing in her mind. It wasn't a morbid reminder; it was a testament to their bond, a bittersweet snapshot of a love that endured until the very end.

With trembling fingers, Summer typed a caption beneath the picture: "My best friend, my furry guardian angel, crossed the rainbow bridge today. Rest in peace, Jaxon. I love you more than anything. You'll be forever in my heart."

She didn't share it on social media. This wasn't for likes or

comments. This was for her, a digital memory box holding a moment both sad and sacred.

Later, Summer buried Jaxon under their favourite frangipanni tree in the backyard. As she placed the final scoop of dirt on his grave, a single tear rolled down her cheek, landing on a fresh daisy that had bloomed that morning. It seemed like a fitting tribute – a symbol of life and hope even in the face of loss.

The next few weeks were a blur. The house felt empty, echoing

with the absence of Jaxon’s playful barks and happy thumps. Yet, as the initial shock subsided, Summer started to feel a gentle warmth bloom within her. The picture on her phone wasn't just a reminder of loss; it was a catalyst for cherished memories.

One afternoon, Summer visited the local animal shelter. Walking through the rows of kennels, a cacophony of barks and meows filled the air. Each pair of pleading eyes tugged at her heartstrings, a stark reminder of the void left by Jaxon. But it was also a reminder of the love she had to offer.

She stopped at a kennel towards the back. A scruffy terrier mix,

no bigger than a shoebox, huddled in the corner, his matted fur dull and his eyes filled with a mixture of fear and longing. He looked like a shadow of his former self, mirroring the way Jaxon had looked in his final days.

Something in Summer’s heart clicked. This little guy, with his sad eyes and scraggly fur, needed a chance, a home filled with love. He reminded her of Jaxon, not in looks necessarily, but in the vulnerability that resonated deep within her soul.

As Summer knelt and extended her hand towards the kennel, the

terrier tentatively approached. He sniffed her hand, then, with a hesitant lick, a spark of trust ignited in his eyes. Summer’s heart melted.

"Hey there, little guy," she whispered, her voice thick with emotion. "Come with me, let's go home."

The adoption process was swift. As Summer walked out of the shelter with the little terrier nestled in her arms, a flicker of Jaxon’s warmth seemed to fill the empty space in her heart. This new dog wouldn't replace Jaxon, but he could fill the silence, offer a new kind of companionship.

Back home, Summer introduced the terrier, whom she named Rusty, to their backyard. Rusty sniffed around cautiously at first, then, with a burst of playful energy, began chasing butterflies. Watching him, Summer felt a smile tug at the corners of her lips. It was a small joy, a tiny spark of life amidst the lingering grief.

Every now and then, Summer would pull out her phone and look at

the picture of her and Jaxon. The ache of loss was still there, but now it was laced with a bittersweet tenderness. It was a reminder of the love she shared with Jaxon, a love that had enriched her life and that would continue to live on in her memories.

Rusty, sensing her sadness, would nuzzle his head against her hand, his brown eyes filled with concern. Summer would scratch his ears, a silent promise forming in her heart. She would love Rusty, cherish him, and give him the happy life he deserved.

Jaxon might be gone, but the love they shared wasn't. It had

transformed into a wellspring of compassion, a reminder that life, even in its endings, held the potential for new beginnings. Summer, with a heart filled with love and a furry companion by her side, would learn to navigate the path forward, carrying the memory of Jaxon and embracing the love that Rusty offered in his own unique way.

April 02, 2024 04:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Julie Grenness
22:50 Apr 10, 2024

Well done. This story produced a really sensitive response to the prompt. The writer has chosen an inspiring word picture, building to an evocative conclusion. Worked well for this reader.

Reply

Sofia Mullan
23:58 May 08, 2024

Thanks Julie. This is a real story of our beloved pet dog Jaxon who recently passed away!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.