23 comments

Coming of Age Creative Nonfiction Teens & Young Adult

 The End.


I let out a deep sigh, looking out of the book. That was the last book I owned. All the other books I read were scattered all over my study desk.


I looked out the window, into the sky. The sky looked as desperate as I was; dark and cold, with angry grey clouds.


The Coronavirus. It was all because of it. It spread like wildfire, putting halt to all the people around the world, in their homes.

I felt safe at home, it destroyed all the happiness I had.


Calls and texts from my boyfriend and mom were the only things that gave me quite a relief in this pandemic situation.


I'm Carryl Avery. I am a first-year medical student, studying at a nearby reputed med school. I’m a people person, and you could understand why I hate this lockdown. Before lockdown, you could find me, most of the time, talking or advising people, even sometimes strangers. I have a wide range of friends, including people who are older than me, and younger than me, and so on. I dream to be a Cardiologist.


I come from a middle-class family, in New York, where my mom is working in Insurance and my dad is working at a hospital, as an Emergency physician. He is so busy. He won’t even get any chance to call and talk to me, nowadays.


I had just moved to L A for my studies when the lockdown began. Since then, I am alone here.


Tring…Tring…Tring…Tring


I rushed over, in excitement, towards my messy study desk to grab my smartphone.


I shoved glances of excitement into the smartphone screen. It’s Cameron; my boyfriend.


I squealed out in excitement and took the video call.


“Hey, Cam! I missed you so much!”


On the screen was a handsome man who looked 21, with golden blonde hair, and dazzling sky blue eyes, that's Cameron Hughes. He was glowing with affection and joy. He spoke in a deep voice, which felt as if he was waiting for me.


“Miss you too! Love ya, Sunshine!”


My emerald green eyes filled with tears, and turned red, hearing his voice after a long time.


“I wanna see you. I want you close to me. I wish you would be here, calming me down with your warm smile and hug just as warm as your smile.”


The tone of his voice and his look changed as he noticed I was feeling sad.


“Caryll, I am counting down the days until we’re together again. Like you want to, I too want you close to me. Don’t worry. I’m sure the lockdown will end soon. ”


A scary, deep silence stayed between our words, as our eyes got locked up in a sweet, intimate gaze.


“So, do you still listen to ‘Closer’ by Chainsmokers and Halsey? You were obsessed. Listening to each minute of a day.”

I gave out a short chuckle.


“Mm…I still hear.”


I began singing it, and soon, Cameron joined me.


So, baby, pull me closer

In the back seat of your Rover

That I know you can’t afford

Bite that tattoo on your shoulder.


“To be honest with ya, I love this song,” Cameron said.


He flashed a mischievous smile on his face and winked at me. He began brushing his hair with his hands, just like he always did when he is excited.


Oh my gosh! My name on your wrist?!”


Seeing me surprised, he gave out a short chuckle.


I couldn’t believe that he tattooed my name on his wrist. I could see it through the camera.: Caryll Avery.


“Yep! You’re right.”


He laughed, and then, I too laughed. I couldn’t control myself.


We spent hours talking and laughing. I can’t resist laughing when he cracks up all those jokes, even those oldie dad jokes.


When I was about to say goodbye to him and hang up the call,

“Hey, sunshine! You forgot.”


I thought, what did I forget? Is he tryin’ to make fun of me, or something?


“Aren’t you gonna hug me good-bye?”


I flashed the look of astonishment. His smile made me confuse more and more.


“Virtual hugs!!” He yelled out, placing his hands criss-cross over his chest. I copied what he did.


Even though this was a virtual hug, I felt like he was hugging me, tight. I could feel his deep breaths right on my face, and the warmth of his skin on mine.


***


I grabbed my coffee and began sipping.


I could feel Caffeine was making some chemical changes in my brain, making me feel energetic.


This is why I’m addicted to this bad boy, Coffee.


I cleared my eyes and drove my focus over to the laptop. Yeah! I’m attending classes.


The pandemic hasn’t still ended, and the lockdown was still going on. It sucks to be at home, alone, with no one to talk to.


Our classes began the previous month. Because of that, I don’t get bored much. We’ll have classes every day. After classes, lots of homework and assignments. I would be completing all those works, listening to Cameron’s and my favorite songs on Spotify.


I was attending the genetics class taught by my best friend, Ashlynn’s dad, Professor Jamie Hamilton. Genetics is my favorite subject.


As soon as the class ended, I looked in the calendar and crossed off another day.


I realized it has been 5 and a half months since the lockdown. Almost half a year.


OMG! I couldn’t believe a social being like me spent half a year inside a room, without any social interactions, other than going out to buy groceries and medicines.


Another thing I’m happy about is yesterday, my dad called me.

We talked a lot. We are talking after a long…long time. He said to me, the lockdown will end soon, and we could meet again.

He was in quarantine. He said he had treated a man, and he turned out to be COVID positive.


Dad said he’s fine, and he’ll return to work when his test results become negative.


I closed the laptop and let it charge. I grabbed my thick genetics book to do some light-reading and complete my assignment; write an essay on Factors that contribute or/and cause genetic mutations.

I began reading the book and highlighting all those important points. Assignment writing and submission are now easier than ever. Just type out it in a word processor, export it to PDF format, and upload it into Google Classroom.


I still remember those high-school days when I had to write three-paragraph-long essays by hand. It will be(almost all the time) the last moment I realize I’m out of paper, and the essay is not still complete.


You could me see rushing from shop to shop searching for paper to complete my incomplete history assignments.

After all light reading, I grabbed my laptop and flipped it open.


Tring…Tring…Tring…Tring


I grabbed the chiming phone and shoved my looks into it. Caffeine was keeping me wide awake.


It was Ashlynn, my bestfriend.

We’ve been classmates since middle school. She is studying law in the same college Cameron is in.


I took up the call.


“Hey, Carr! How are ya doing, girl?”


She squealed out, right through the phone.


She is an innocent and naive Aquarius. She is not just a day-dreamer also a wonderful, intelligent puzzle solver.


She is the one who always comes up with original, ‘out of the box ideas.


I replied, as excited as she was, “Ash! I’m doing great! You?”


I grabbed the teddy bear she gifted me and hugged it as if I would hug Ash.


“Amazing as always! Dad said to me you are his student.”

I noticed something.


“So, how’re your studies going? I have so many questions to ask you. Do you know anyone studying in my law school?”


I thought, who is there I know in her law school? Yeah! Cameron is doing law studies there!


“I know a last-year student studying there. He’s of 21 years with golden blonde hair, medium skin tone, and dazzling sky blue eyes. His name is Cameron. Maybe you’ll…”


She replied, even before I finished what I said.


“Ooh…ooh I know, I know him. He is that nerdy, handsome guy.”


I couldn’t control myself from blushing when she says that. Thank god that this is not a video call. Well, who couldn’t control blushing when a nice-looking girl says that your boyfriend is handsome or compliments him.


“We’re just friends. How do you know him, Carryl?”


I got relieved when she said they were just friends. I got confused. Should I tell her we’re dating? I’ve never talked to her about my love life. Finally, I got together myself and said.


“We’re dating. He’s my boyfriend,” I said as I squeezed the teddy bear even more.


“Oh, I didn’t know that. Congrats! Don’t worry! He is all yours. I too found my significant other.”


I got happy when I heard her say she found her significant other. I still remember those days, after her breakup. It was her first love. As a person who was obsessed with Astrology, I knew what she felt at the time of break up. She was all cold and unemotional. She was all hurt that she ignored everyone.


I was all there as a good friend making her happy and calming her down. And, she always says she owes me; for cheering up and motivating her.


“He is from Cuba and is a singer. He is also my classmate at the law school.”


Then, she began explaining the whole story to me.


“In the first year, I always go to concerts with my friends, Lexi and Penny. One day, Lexi introduced me to this band, Soul Squad. Then, we began going to their concerts.


“I started to love their songs. That day I understood that the lead singer of the band, Camilo Juan was the one who wrote all those songs. Not just writes songs well, also, he sings well.


“I love his Baritone ranged, sweet voice. I kinda fell for him. I began crushing on him. Following his Instagram account, their band’s Spotify artist account, following him everywhere, and so on.


“One day, I realized the nerdy boy in our class who appeared to be shy was the rocking singer, Camilo who all the girls in our city were crushing on.


“Then, one day, he came to me and brought to me in an empty corridor and proposed to me!! He said he was crushing me since the day I came to Soul Squad’s concert. I was so surprised!”


I felt happy as she found her soulmate, and is happy.


“Thank you for being there for me when I’m down. I’m glad you were there to cheer me up.”


“That’s what friends are for!”


I hugged the teddy bear again, tighter than ever.


***


Ding…Dong…Ding…Dong


I was woken up with the doorbell ringing.


I lowered my blankets, raised from my bed, and rubbed my puffy green eyes. I looked out the window.


I yawned out and was gonna make some coffee cause I thought my dorky brain was just making that up and making me feel like someone is at the door and was ringing the doorbell.


Ding…Dong…Ding…Dong


Now, I was sure my brain did not make that up.


“Coming!” I yelled out to the person who was at the door.


I tied my brown hair up in a careless, messy bun, and started to make my bed. I thought it might be the newspaperman or the postman. They would leave the newspaper in the veranda or the mail in the mailbox. I looked at the calendar. It was the 15th of November 2020.


Ding…Dong…Ding…Dong


This made me kinda angry, even though I was the one who made the person at the door wait. I knew I was making the person angry.


I grabbed the disposable mask and covered my face with it.


“Didn’t you heard me say I’m….”


My words drifted off as I opened the door and saw two familiar faces covered with masks. I recognized them even though the mask was covering their faces, leaving those eyes, eyebrows, and forehead.


“Dad! Cameron!”


I ran towards them in joy, and… hugged my dad.


“I love you, dad! I missed you lots and lots!”


I could feel the warmth of his skin I always enjoyed.


“Love you, too, my li’l one!”


I could see Cameron go scarlet. He has thought I was gonna hug him.


Then, my dad and I pulled away from the warm, tight hug. It was the first time he was hugging after a long time.


I remember I had talked about Cameron to dad. I don’t remember if they had met before.


I noticed he was giving out a fake smile just to satisfy me. I know he felt sad. So I ran towards him, threw my hands over his shoulders, and embraced him. I hugged him so tight that later he would never complain I don’t give him hugs. He was so surprised he didn’t notice me coming towards him like a racing car going on over speed.


The moment he realized I hugged him, he removed his mask and gave me a quick kiss on my forehead, deep inside promising he’ll give a wonderful kiss right on my lips.


I welcomed them right into my room, asked them to be seated.


“How’re your studies going, honey?”


I replied to him, as I started to brew coffee


“Yeah, going well, Dad.”


I noticed that Cam was checking his phone at the same time he was listening to what dad and I said.


I rolled my eyes. I think that worked cause he stopped checking his phone, and began talking something to me.


“Is there an app you hate but use anyway?”


We broke into laughter. We, Dad, and I couldn’t control laughter.


“Hey, answer my question, Carr.”


We laughed for a few seconds, and then, I decided to answer his random question.


“Ok. Fine. I’ll answer. Facebook. I keep using it even though I hate it so much. I should delete my FB account.”


He just gazed at me like he always does.


Coffee was ready and I poured it into three fancy coffee mugs.


“Sorry. I was out of milk.”


They chorused, together, “That’s fine.”


We talked a lot, sipping the warm, steamy black coffee.


We had the best time ever talking, laughing, and joking, listening to DJ Alan Walker’s songs. I immersed myself in those mysterious, amazing songs.


Time flew so fast. It reached the time they had to leave and say goodbye.


Dad called me near.


“I love you. The greatest gift I’ve got is you, Carryl. Don’t think I’m not with you. Just call me when you miss me.”


I think he was busy, cause he got to get back to work today. He went out to get the car.


We said something in unison that we both didn’t understand what we said. He began playing with his blonde hair, and I could see him blush.

I too couldn’t control myself from turning pink and playing with my hair. I inhaled in and out calming myself.


He just waved at me, and I waved back. Just before opening the door, he ran to and kissed me.


***


Beep Beep…Beep Beep


I lowered my blankets, raised from my bed, and rubbed my puffy green eyes. I looked out the window. It was snowing outside!


I squeezed the face on the snow-coated window panes, and then, wiped the snow off the pane. I opened the door.


What a view! The ground was all covered with snow. I could also see a few trees covered with thick snow. They were the ones who survived the warm, breezy fall, and cold, glistening, winter. This is why my favorite season is winter.


I looked out the window, enjoying the wonderful scenery. The cold wind was blowing towards me, and I felt cold. I rubbed my hands together creating warmth.


I began making my bed as usual. I noticed my guitar hanging on the wall. I grabbed the guitar and strummed it. I thought of playing something on it.


I sat on my bed and began playing some song on it. Cameron would always ask me to play it for him. Sometimes he asks me to play ‘Shape of You' by Ed Sheeran on my guitar.


I hanged the guitar back on the wall itself. I have written a few songs, it’s not good, even though Cameron, Mom, Dad, and Ash say my songs were excellent and amazing.


I brewed the coffee. After I began sipping the coffee from the fancy coffee mug, I came towards the glass bowl which had four goldfishes. Dad gifted it the last time when he and Cameron came to meet me.

I watched them swim peacefully through the water.


“Don’t worry, guys. There is no cat here,” I whispered to them.

As usual, I looked at my calendar. I crossed another day off. I realized it had been a year since the lockdown began. A year was completed, the lockdown hasn’t.


I looked on my phone and opened up Instagram. I felt like it was a festival inside Instagram. Everyone was acting as if they were celebrating Corona Virus’s Anniversary.


Another thing I remembered was tomorrow I have to go out to get vaccinated. The vaccines were all invented, still, the Covid 19 infection and mortality rates were peaking.


I plugged in my earphones, opened Spotify, off to hear some motivational songs.


I was having mixed feelings: lots of sadness cause the lockdown is still going on, a bit of fear if the mortality rates would peak again, and lots and lots of hope that, soon, the pandemic will end, and all the problems will be solved.



March 11, 2021 13:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Chloe Hanna
15:14 Mar 17, 2021

This is fantastic! I especially like the balance between your descriptions and dialogue.

Reply

Ash S
17:51 Mar 17, 2021

Thanks Chloe :) I'm happy that you loved my story. First I had a thought on Ashlynn's (Protagonist, Carryl's Best friend) dialogues being too long. But, I ignored that cause this character is based on myself and I talk a lot. Share this story to you friends too. :) - Ash

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
George Davis
14:37 Apr 02, 2021

Good story!

Reply

Ash S
12:01 Apr 03, 2021

Thanks :) I'm glad that you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maraika!!! 😎
18:48 Mar 19, 2021

Hey great first story! I like how incorpuated some of yourself into the chararcters, judging from your bio. My favoutite chararcter was probably Carryl. She was what i think everyone one was feeling during the lockdown (and still are) One question though: did Ashlynn marry someone she had a crush on, but hadn't talked to before and was totally fine that the guy just proposed? Other than that good job. Happy writting!

Reply

Ash S
17:44 Mar 20, 2021

Thanks Maraika :) I hope I spelled your name correctly. I'm so happy that you liked my story. You're right, Ashlynn is based on myself. I'm also a very talkative, funny person like Ashlynn is. So let's get to your question, :) Did Ashlynn marry someone who she had a crush on? Ans: No, She didn't really marry. I think you are talking about the first relationship she had. They didn't marry. They were dating. And one day, they just broke up. And, if you're talking about the second relationship, they didn't marry. Ashlynn got engaged wit...

Reply

Maraika!!! 😎
18:16 Mar 20, 2021

Ok that makes sense! thx for awnsering my question. It's cool that you put yourself into your characters. I think that would mkae writting diolauge easier if you know how you would responed or what you would say in situations. I don't really do that for my characters, exept for where they're from and some their hobbies. Also you did spell my name correctly! I love my name but pair with an equally annoying to spell and prounce last name, it gets a little crazy lol. (fun fact: My first name is prounced Mar-I-ka. You say the 'I' intead of the '...

Reply

Ash S
08:50 Mar 21, 2021

Hey! I love your name a lot. I've never heard this name before :) You should definitely tell your friends that you're on Reedsy. I'm looking forward to checking out your stories. I was also nervous about talking to my bestfriend who is also a wonderful writer, that I'm at Reedsy Prompts. But, when I talked to her about that, she became so happy for me. She said she'll help me improve my writing. She said she was also gonna join Reedsy :) So, you're my first friend here at Reedsy, Maraika! :) I loved your bio a lot. I'm also a Percy Jack...

Reply

Maraika!!! 😎
18:44 Mar 21, 2021

Awww thank you so much! Yeah my name isn't one you would hear often, but i'm glad you like it :) I've never really read vampire books or watch vampire movies. Are they good? Yeah I think your right about telling my friends that i'm on reedsy. I'm hanging with one of them today so I think i'll tell her. I'm not sure she is on reedsy or not, but I know another one of my friends is for sure on here. Or at least that they wrote a story for the contest. You're my first officail friend here too! please tell when you write more stories in case i f...

Reply

Maraika!!! 😎
17:53 Mar 22, 2021

Oh crap i acedently deleted your comment when deleting the double of mine! SORRY!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ash S
14:27 Mar 11, 2021

Hey! I’m Ash. I hope you liked my story based on the reedsy prompt ‘Write a story that spans exactly a year and takes place in a single room'. It was a little difficult for me to write the entire story in 3k words. I had to remove a lot of words to submit the story. I’m new here at Reedsy. This is my first time here. I was in Wattpad, but, then I had to leave. If you liked my story, please hit like. It would be so nice if you could give me some tips to improve my writing. Thank you! P.S: Which is your favourite character of my story and...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maraika!!! 😎
22:20 Apr 21, 2022

Ash!!!!!! HEELLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO We miss you so much Hope your doing good :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maraika!!! 😎
18:18 Mar 04, 2022

Hey Ash, It's been awhile. How are you doing? We've been friends for a year now isn't that crazy? You're awesome and i'm super gald to have met you here on Reedsy. Love ya, Maraika

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maraika!!! 😎
17:22 Apr 03, 2021

Ok I'm locked out of collab project. Thanks annoying user who didn't ask us if they could go on the document!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.