Things are not always what they seem

Submitted into Contest #81 in response to: Write about a first date that surprises both people, but in different ways.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance American Happy

 The day begin like any other work day, LeeAnn up ready bright and early. Although she schedules her team for a hour before they open the doors, she gets to work five minutes before her employees. Once everyone gets in they get everything prepaid to serve their clients at the bank. Since LeeAnn became a manger at the bank so much has improved she had work done to make it more inviting. She hired some employees she thought was a good fit. She also fired some of those who were not good for the business, when someone is stealing a little each day from the bank they do not need to be there. LeeAnn moved here to Loudon, KS. The middle of no where to start fresh with her kids.

 LeeAnn wanted a fresh start where there was no chance anyone knew her or her kids or about her ex-husband who is now a convicted murderer. She was with her children’s father for more than 13 years, and had no clue. It was like living one of her A&E cop shows she watches where the family has no idea that someone in your family is a serial killer. It broke the family down more the longer they stayed though they proved they had no idea about what he did. People can hide things well, and her did. James Giovonni a loving devoted father and husband is what LeeAnn thought. So wrong she was when one evening at dinner FBI/DEA agents come barge in the house from all door ways. They come in with there guns aimed ready to fire, her children scared. Everyone had to put their hands up in the air and their heads down. They grabbed my husband then begin a rampage through the house searching for whatever evidence they could find. After LeeAnn asked over and over what was this for finally the captain pulled her to the side to question her. Once he questioned her, the captain knew she had nothing to do with it or knew absolutely nothing. So the towns people were not going to give her a chance at all to be able to clear her face though. So once James was convicted she did some research found the middle of the united states and moved there. So now here she is with a much better life with her children who are not being snarled at and judged.

 The town and the bank has been amazing to her and her family. Not one person recognized her and her kids. They have a great school, she has a great job, and a lovely place to live. LeeAnn and her children have been in KS now for the last five years, though very happy with her life now, she is lonely. At Sunrise bank everyone comes together like a family, in fact many do not have any family close by so they all spend holidays together. Since she has been running the bank LeeAnn has formed a great team. In fact the last Christmas they had the get together Christmas day eve, and exchanged gifts. They also have big amazing dinners like a normal extended family would. Over time LeeAnn begin to trust again so her assistant became one of her closets friends and the main security guard. Rita is LeeAnn’s assistant then Dontae’ is the security guard. They are always the last one’s at work together. They have became very close going out for drinks after work over the years. Rita and Dontae’ decided that LeeAnn and their other friend needs a good date and are a match. Stephen is a successful business man who lost his wife in a tragic accident a few years back. So they are both lonely and need to meet someone great in their lives.

 “So I know it is not really your thing a blind date but you all can communite by phone call or text at least then meet one evening. I think you will really like him LeeAnn. He is a good looking man, successful, and so nice. Your personalities will match.” Rita said with excitement and a big smile. LeeAnn smiled and blushed, “I am not sure about this though I could really use some fun in my life. Well I guess I may as well take the chance, why not. What do I have to loose?” Stephen spoke up as LeeAnn was locking the door to the bank, “Girl, I really think he would be a great match for you. He is a good man very caring and loving as well as generous.” They all lock up and say their goodbyes, Dontae’ sent Stephen’s number to LeeAnn. She waves goodbye to both,” I will see you all in the morning, thank you for everything. Yes, I am gonna text him before you all ask. Ask me tomorrow what I think.” They all get in their cars and leave at the same time for safety purposes.

 As soon as LeeAnn gets home she checks on her kids Jason age 13 and Jessica Age 16, She always goes in to each one asking how their day was and if they have completed all their school work. Sadly, her children have to go to therapy to deal with what their father put them through. LeeAnn also goes to a therapist, it really helps them all. She was not ready to date for a while very much having trust issues. Now she feels like maybe it is time for her to get out and mingle getting the chance to know others and learn to actually trust others. Routine is something steady she likes to keep in her and her children’s lives. The kids had done their chores so she goes into the kitchen to cook dinner for her family. They all sit at the table talking with one another it is important they have great communication and they all know what is going on with one another. They all team work cleaning up from dinner then go do their own thing. That was good with LeeAnn, she needs some her time anyways so she got her clothes to grab a shower. Then she thought she would sit down to watch some t.v. maybe even send a text to good ol’ Stephen is what they called him, she thought.

 After that nice hot shower she let het damp hair down long and red wrapped in her robe sitting on the edge of her bed. She flipped her head over and shook her hair out, then she flipped her head back. In her night stand she has her routine night cream that she puts on to help keep that beautiful tight skin she has with her lovely peach skin tone. As she applied her cream gently to her face she picked up her phone clicked on stephen’s number in the text from Dontae’ then saved it in her phone. As she sat looking as his number she says to herself, “Oh should I or not? Are you ready for this? How can I know this man is not a Psycho? Oh hell, I am not getting any younger since this I need to take a chance.” Jessica walks by, “What mom, were you speaking to me?” She peaks in the room, and LeeAnn looks up saying, “No honey, I was just reading out loud.” Jessica responded, “Oh okay.” She went on back to her room and LeeAnn went back into her phone. She did it she is taking the chance, “man I really hope he is a nice guy.” She thought to herself. She sat worried but only for a couple seconds, then he text back!

 “Oh really, well hello there. Okay maybe I am a little excited about this!,” LeeAnn says out loud as she text Stephen back. They started off just basic chatting getting to know one another, but later maybe an hour or two later they were on the phone with one another chatting, flirting back and fourth. It seems they are both very excited about the date, they hang up saying their goodbyes once they plan the date. So tomorrow evening it will be great, LeeAnn so excited like a school girl can not sleep. She was up looking through her closet trying to decide what to wear thinking, “ man, he has a very nice voice. Sounds very sexy,, gotta look good for this.” Finally she picked a little black something with matching accessories. The house woke the next day the kids had already got their breakfast and are ready for school, LeeAnn is getting a shower to get ready for work. They like their routine life they went to school then come home, had snacks. Saturday is a no school day so they will be sleeping in. LeeAnn got home from work after the kids got home she ran upstairs cleaned up, got dressed, and smelling nice. She went back down stairs, grabbed her keys, and left to meet Stephen at the Olive Garden. She walked in told the host whom she was looking for she lead her to a table in the back corner as LeeAnn walked up she hoped she did not have her mouth hanging open cause she felt that way. She thought, “Damn he is really nice looking. I hope he thinks the same of me.” He stands as she approaches, “Hello LeeAnn so nice to meet you. You are a absolutely beautiful women, please have a seat.” He said all that while softly caressing her hands and wrist, then leading her by the small of her back to the seat. They both looked over the menu then called the server over ready to place their order. They sat communicating it was great, they had a lot in common. She was supervised that he was so much older than her, he did not look it nor did he act like it. She was pleasantly surprised and pleased. They continued to talk, then Stephen said, “I am sorry but I have seen yo on T.V. some years back, I can not place it. Maybe it was something about your husband and kids? I am not sure and sorry to pry, I would not forget your beauty.” LeeAnn looked down responding, “Yes, I really am embarrassed by that though I have to live with it. I come here to hide from that. I guess people everywhere watch the news.” She giggled and continued on, “My ex-husband is a convicted serial murder, I had no idea. He had never harmed me or our children and we were all appalled. Myself and our kids wanted nothing to do with him. I hope this does not change us getting to know one another?” He was sitting with his eyebrows raised and eyes wide very shocked, “Well I was not expecting that I am shocked and sorry you had to be so close to someone like that. I am sure it has been very hard for you and your children. There is no way this will interfere with us getting to know one another, and I think we are gonna get along wonderful.”

 They continued on with their evening and all went amazing. They continues on seeing one another though both were very surprised by the other on the first date, many dates came there after.

February 20, 2021 04:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.