The Starr Story

Submitted into Contest #263 in response to: Write the origin story of a notorious villain.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Middle School

The fairy council gathered along with King Asher, the ogre king and Queen Heidii, the elf queen.

“So… are we all going to ignore the threat?” King Asher demanded, breaking the silence. “My warriors will fight-”

“With all due respect King Asher, fighting ISN’T the answer to everything. We learned that the hard way”. One of the five fairy counselors spoke up very quietly. 

“Oh really? Why then may I ask do you have me send over my warriors to you?” King Asher countered.

Counselor Enki sighed. “Counselor Sunita… I agree. King Asher- we need your army for protection against Starr-if she strikes. We must not forget that she has some of your orge warriors. They are a problem we cannot ignore. They might know some of your tactics. They were a few of the strongest, weren’t they?” 

“Those were defected warriors from the previous-”

“ENOUGH” Queen Heidii commanded. “We gather here for compromise and to find solutions to our world. And we answer for our own territories. Counselor Sunita, Enki, Ruth, Edar, and Alina: you answer for the fairy territories. King Asher- for the orge territories. And I: for the elf. Starr’s worker or “ally” is here, captured. They might tell us something we can use against her.”

“Bring in the… the…uh… well, just bring in Starr’s ally!” Counselor Edar called.

“Really smooth Enki, totally professional” Counselor Ruth smirked while Counselor Edar flushed.

A black figure with a hood appeared in the bright halls. The figure stood out so well in the blue and golden halls.

The bright pink orbs flashed in front of the cloaked figure, crackling with electricity.

“Tell us, who is Starr? And if you lie-”Queen Heidii demanded. 

But the figure cut her off. “I know what those are. Starr used the same ones when you were captured” She said, pointing to Counselor Alina-who was very very pale. Her voice was cold and sharp: a woman's voice.

“Anyway, I know why I’m here. I will die either way. Whether it’s in your prison or under Starr’s rage when she finds out what I have told you. I don’t know any of her plans but I do know her tragic story”.

“A little background information about our enemy-” Counselor Enki began but King Asher interrupted. 

‘Go ahead girl” He snarled, showing off all his sharp teeth.

The girl sighed

“Starr was born in a poor village. The small territories you never bother-”

“Wait wait WAIT! So is she an elf? Fairy?” King Asher cut her off.

“I don’t know! I’m telling you the story as I heard it. Anyway, she was born in one of the territory's poor corners. She never had any fancy stuff. Her mom married an elf and she was a fairy so she couldn’t live anywhere nice. They settled in that poor corner, which was the only place they were allowed to go. The food was awful. Everything there was awful- and still is. So Starr grew into a pale, skinny, and kind girl. Yes, you might say that’s impossible, but Starr was always helping people. But then, tragedy struck her family.”

The woman paused, as if debating if she should continue.

“The Great War-”

“She’s THAT old?!” King Asher asked, interrupting again.

“Yes. We live forever, ALL of us, but I never met anyone that old. The one time I saw her she was perfect. Obviously, as we don’t age, but if perfection looked like something, Starr looked just like it. Anyway, The Great War started centuries ago. Elves, fairies, and ogres fought for almost a decade. Starr was only seven, I think. Throughout those ten years she watched her parents die. Imagine how she felt. Broken. Alone. Scared. Most of the-corner-that-you-don’t-bother-with was wiped out. And no one cared. So, Starr went to her leader in a cloak. She begged her leader to turn their attention to the-corner-that-you-don’t-bother-with. The leader refused to do anything. And before you ask who was Starrs leader, I don’t know. Starr begged the Council and King Milak. After all of them turned her down, she decided to start her own organization. She recruited elves and fairies from the-corner-that-you-don’t-bother-with. They were actually making progress, until Queen Dmahilda was elected queen of the elf territories. Queen Dmahilda thought she found one of her hide-outs. But that wasn’t it. It was one of Starrs planning rooms. Queen Dmahilda burned the house down. All of Starrs planning-waisted. Starr wasn’t as insane as she is now, but that doesn’t mean she wasn’t angry. She matched up to Queen Dmahilda, but she attacked Starr with ogres. The ogres beat Starr up and gave her a scar. But she didn’t give up. Starr had her allies go to the Enclosure, and release a dragon. The dragon burned so much down”. The girl looked down. 

“She still has the dragon-and the scar”. She noted. “After that, Starr went crazy, killing anyone that stood in her path. We couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Then we found out that the ogres sward was dipped into something-some chemical that causes mood swings-negative ones. So we have to live with Starr like that… And I know what you’re all thinking: she’s evil. Starr isn’t evil. She wasn’t born like that. No one is. The Great War made her angry. Just like with any villain-or-enemy. They have a reason to be angry or hateful.” The woman quieted down.

Suddenly, she stuck her hands in her pocket, and pulled out a Teleporter. The Teleporter asked in its weird robotic voice: “Destination?” The woman murmured “My hide-out”. 

The Teleporter chinged. “Starr’s hideout: set”. And she started to fade. 

King Ashe was too starstruck to call security. 

“You’re… Starr?!” 

“Yes… I am. It was a pleasure meeting you,  King Asher, Queen Heidii, and the Council. I hope you enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed yours. I also hope that those ogres weren’t too important to you.” She clicked her tongue. “So… weak.” By that time, Starr had faded completely. All that the rulers heard was a mere cackle. 

August 16, 2024 23:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.