2 comments

Horror

The breeze was light that afternoon. Carly and Gerald walked together along the concrete path of the park, the same as they did every Thursday. They always had to shuffle slowly through the park to get all the way to their favorite bench, but they accepted the slow pace over hiring an aid or accepting offers of assistance from younger park-goers. 

The bench had a panoramic view that was unmatched by other locations in the park. They knew, because they had tried and tested other areas. Their favored spot allowed them to see the playground, the food truck, the picnic area, and even as far as the gazebo where weddings often took place. They were also able to see a small pond where they could sometimes spot lively ducks and the occasional buff swan. The bench was only a few steps from the path, which helped.  

“This is a nice day,” Gerald waved his hand in the area as Carly joined him on the bench. “I feel alive.” Carly glanced around, taking note of the families and individuals who had already crowded the park. She smiled. ‘It is,” she answered, as she pointed to the playground. “So many lovely families.” 

A small girl squealed as her father hoisted her into a tire swing and gently pushed it through the air. A set of twins hovered near the sandbox, disinterested in getting their hands dirty, as their nanny unfolded a checkered blanket in the grass behind them. 

The lunchtime rush had already ended at the food truck, but there were still some latecomers placing their orders, as others finished their meals throughout the picnic tables. Gerald and Carly were always able to spot which couples were on their awkward first dates, and which had been together for years. They liked to base their suspicions on body language and the way the couples ate in front of each other. 

“Table number three is a first time, for sure,” Gerald announced. “Look at the way she eats? He’s been done for a while and she’s still working on that hot dog. Too slow to be a comfortable relationship.” 

Carly and Gerald had a number system for the picnic tables, which allowed them to avoid pointing when they wanted to bring one to the attention of the other. Carly checked table three and nodded to confirm Gerald’s opinion. “I’m sure she regrets ordering a hot dog on their first date, too,” she smirked. “A nice boy takes you to the park on an innocent first date, and you think a hot dog is the right choice?” 

Gerald laughed. He continued his visual rounds and started to watch the field closest to their bench. It was typical for a variety of visitors to occupy this space; sometimes an intense game of frisbee would take place there, usually with members of a nearby campus fraternity, while other times individuals would spread out on the grass to read or attempt a crossword puzzle. The most curious individuals to Gerald were always the ones who simply stared at the sky from the grass, who seemed oblivious to their surroundings.  

Today, the lone occupant of the grassy field was a man in his thirties, dressed in khaki shorts and a graphic t-shirt. His flip flops were neatly pressed together in the grass at the edge of his microfiber towel. Gerald had found there were two types of people who removed their shoes when entering a picnic area or the beach. There was the group that kicked off their shoes the moment they stepped foot into the area, and then left them wildly strewn in the general proximity to their chosen spot. The other group did not remove their footwear until they had been properly seated on their blanket or towel, and promptly placed them as close to their seat as possible, to disallow any interaction between their bare feet and the ground. Gerald often wondered why they wore open toed shoes in the first place. 

“That young man in The Grass is reading the bible,” Gerald commented. Just like the picnic tables, the two had nicknames for other areas of the park around their bench. Carly checked The Grass and nodded again.  

Teddy spent most of his afternoons reading scripture. Sometimes he would journal when he was off from work, too. He varied the location, oftentimes staying in his home office, but because he worked from home, alone, he tried to take his hobbies out into the world as much as he could, to aim for social interactions. He could see the park from his condo and would usually check how crowded it was before walking to it. He usually took off one day during the week, and one weekend day. Sundays were reserved for spending time with his three cousins. They would meet for lunch after church, and once a month they would attend a local soup kitchen together, to help provide meals to the less fortunate. Teddy was an only child, so he had always been grateful to have three relatives similar in age. 

When he had spotted Carly and Gerald on their route to the bench, Teddy had leapt to his feet. He slipped into his sandals, with the intention of rushing to their side to help them. But as he looked up and stepped off his towel, he realized Gerald had already taken his seat on the bench. It was too late to help them, and he returned to his reading. 

“I’ve never seen him before,” Carly continued, as she studied Teddy’s face. Unlike most of the other people, he wasn’t wearing sunglasses or a hat. A bottle of sunscreen and a reusable water bottle were next to him. He looked up as a bird flew overhead, leaving a large shadow on the grass. Carly saw the sunlight sparkle through his blue eyes as he watched the bird. He was perched on the towel with his back straight, his legs crossed in front of him, and the bible resting in both hands on top of his ankles. “He’s the one.” Gerald smiled and agreed with his wife. “I think you’re right, my dear.” 

Carly slipped a checkbook, pen, and a small notebook from her purse. She filled out the check, scribbled her signature, and copied the check number into the notebook. She placed everything but the check back into her purse. “Time to find out,” she joyfully announced as she stood up from the bench. 

Teddy had been particularly invested in his reading for several minutes. When he finished the passage, he put the bible down on the towel and stretched his arms. The bench was empty, and he felt bad that he had missed the elderly couple, because that meant he missed his second chance to assist them. He noticed a piece of paper where they had been sitting and went to the bench to pick it up.  

Teddy glanced around furiously, trying to find the couple, as he held the check in his open palm. He couldn’t see them. He paused, overwhelmed, and stared again at the check. 

Carly Dunham’s signature was at the bottom, but the recipient was blank. It was made out for twenty thousand dollars. Teddy flipped the check back and forth in his hand in disbelief. 

As he did, he noticed the contact information in the top left corner. It was missing a phone number, but it had the Dunham’s address. He typed it in on the map on his phone, and pocketed the check when he discovered it was within walking distance. He made his way to the Dunham’s house. 

Carly and Gerald heard Teddy’s voice as they reached the top of their porch stairs. They turned and feigned surprise at their visitor. 

“Hi,” Teddy panted. “My name is Teddy. I was sitting near you in the park. I found this after you left.” He handed the check to Carly. She dropped her purse and grabbed Gerald’s bicep in shock. “I can’t believe I’ve done this!” she shrieked. Gerald touched her hand. “It’s okay, my love.” 

Gerald placed a hand on Teddy’s shoulder. “Please join us for some iced tea, son. We want to thank you for your honesty.” Teddy picked up Carly’s purse as he followed the couple inside. 

Teddy’s gaze paused on the room to the left of the foyer, where he noticed several stacks of neatly folded clothing. They looked like they belonged to someone much younger than Carly and Gerald. Carly noticed Teddy’s stare and slid her arm through his elbow. “We’ve had a lot of guests,” she explained, as she led him away from the open door. 

They continued down a hallway and entered an enclosed porch. The large room overlooked a private lake, also owned by Gerald and Carly. “Like a B&B?” Teddy asked. “Something like that,” Gerald answered, as he placed the pitcher of tea on a small marble table. “Sometimes there’s breakfast or dinner.” 

They sat together for almost an hour as they drank glasses of peach tea, admired the water, and shared stories. Gerald revealed that he had noticed Teddy reading the bible in public, and Teddy recounted stories of the missions he had taken with his church group. He shared details of the holidays he had spent at local soup kitchens, and the care packages he had created for underprivileged children.

“And now you’ve returned our check to us, Teddy.” Carly raised her glass in his direction. “You’re a true saint.” 

A wall clock chimed. Teddy grew startled as he noticed the time. “I’m very sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Dunham,” he placed his glass on the side table. “But I need to get home. My cat takes a medication every night at 6:30, and I’m cutting it awfully close.” 

“Of course,” Carly said. She and Gerald remained seated. “But please do visit us again. Don’t be stranger in the park, either.” The three exchanged final pleasantries and Teddy headed for the front door.  

As he reached his hand for the doorknob, a trapdoor beneath his feet opened. He violently crashed into the concrete floor below. The bear trap snapped around his right leg, and he heard the pop echo through the room as it cut into his bone. He couldn’t stand. He screamed in agony. 

Carly and Gerald turned on the light as they rushed into the room. The room had two medical tables in the center, but the counters that lined the walls were full of kitchen appliances and pantry staples. Carly began retrieving items from the counter and cabinets and placed them near the stove, while Gerald examined instruments on the medical tables. 

Teddy noticed how fast the couple moved throughout the room. It was a complete contrast to their physical limitations at the park. His breathing sped up. “What is this?!” he screamed, but Carly and Gerald did not answer him. 

Carly filled a large pot with water and started sautéing garlic and herbs on the stovetop. The aroma filled the room. Gerald picked Teddy up from the floor without any signs of struggle.  

Teddy flailed and tried to escape from Gerald’s clutches, but the pain in his leg was unbearable. Gerald hoisted him onto the medical table and strapped him to the ice-cold surface. Carly had taken greens from the refrigerator and began arranging them on plates.   

Gerald removed Teddy’s clothes. He threw the bloodied jeans into a pile in the corner, but neatly folded the rest of Teddy’s outfit. Teddy realized why the guests had left so many items behind. “WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!” He screamed, as Gerald picked up a bone saw from a shelf under the table. “I RETURNED YOUR MONEY!” 

Carly stopped and stood next to Gerald at the table. She gently touched Teddy’s wrist. “That’s exactly why, dear,” she smiled. “You see Teddy, Gerald and I have been doing this a long time. A long, long time. We’ve found that honesty really is the best policy...when it comes to flavor.”  

March 31, 2023 18:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Philippa Hibberd
11:47 Apr 06, 2023

Ooooh nice twist! Not such an innocent old couple!

Reply

Carly Kelly
10:30 Apr 07, 2023

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.