Non-Fantasy Wedding

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: End your story with someone saying “I do.”... view prompt

0 comments

Coming of Age American Fiction

    It was a cool, crisp beginning of a Fall Day. The air smelled fresh and new, and the orange and yellow leaves were being pushed out of the trees by an autumn breeze. It was Saturday, and I was looking for something to do. I was out on the balcony of my condo when my cell phone rang. I ran in, almost tripping over my ottoman trying to answer it. “Hello”, I answered. A woman spoke “Hi, this is Martha over at Happy Farms nursing home. I’m calling about your great grandma, Joan. I tried calling your mom but she wasn’t responding.” I replied “Oh, sorry about that, she’s on a cruise and she doesn’t get cell service. Is it an emergency?” “No, she said. “She’s doing well, at least for someone who is 75. But lately, she’s been sort of down and lonely. I don’t know if you have plans today, but I know she would love to have you visit.” I thought about for about ten seconds, and said “tell her Heather is coming around 1.” “Oh, excellent! She’ll be so happy!”

    I went in and got dressed in a pair of jeans, and a t-shirt, grabbed a hoodie and a protein shake and hit the road. It was a two-hour drive, and it was 10:30, but I had to stop for gas. I stopped, and got back on the road. Happy Farms was nestled in the Blue Ridge mountains, so it was gorgeous with all the foliage. My window was down, my satellite radio playing my favorite band, and jamming to the music, and watching the breathtaking scenery around me, I had arrived.

    The home was beautiful, it looked like a huge log cabin with a wrap-a-round porch and about 30 rocking chairs. I walked into the lobby, and up to the front desk. A very nice lady checked me in, printed me a visitor badge, and called for someone to walk me to her room. Turns out it was Martha. “Hi, I’m so happy you could come today. She’s had a smile on her face all day.” We walked in silence, and reached our destination in no time.

    She knocked, then entered her room. She was sitting in her wheelchair over by the patio door, just staring out the glass. She was thin, with short, curly, gray hair. She was wearing a flowered nightgown, and pink house slippers. I went over to hug her, and her hands shook. Martha said, “it’s such a beautiful day, Joan. Why don’t you and Heather sit for a spell on your patio?” Joan spoke, “Is it cold? I don’t like the cold.” “I’ll just bring your sweater and a blanket for your legs. It is a fantastic day to enjoy the outdoors, and you have such a pretty view.” I grabbed the sweater, helped her to get it on, put the blanket on her legs, and wheeled her outside. Martha told her she’d bring her some tea, asked me if I wanted anything, and then we were alone.

    The mountain range was majestic, with its shades of dark and light blue, and the sun hitting the golden trees just right. Joan looked out, sighed and closed her eyes. I thought maybe she was sleeping, but then she started talking. “Did I ever tell you my love story? She asked. I shook my head no. “It was back in 1944. I was 14, and it was my birthday. With 8 kids in the house, we knew there was no big celebration to look forward to, but my daddy shocked me and pulled me aside. “you’re turning into a young woman before my very eyes. I’m so proud of you, you’re such a good girl, so me and your mama saved for a long time so you and your friend could go to the Saturday matinee. I believe “Meet me in St. Louis” is playing.” I started hugging him like I wouldn’t let go. “Thank-you daddy! I love you.” I went and found mama and gave her some of the same.

    “With a dime in my skirt pocket, I walked down our road to Jean’s house. She was my best friend since we were babies, I think. Whenever people saw us coming, they would say, “here comes double trouble.” Jean already knew the plan, so she was waiting on the front stoop, jumping up and down.

    We walked down the long road into town. We were very excited because this was the first movie we’d seen. The building was long and wooden, but The Picture Show movie house had a huge gold and black sign with its name, and on the billboard was the name of the movie in big black letters. We paid the money to get in, and was immediately bombarded with all these sights, smells, and sounds. We didn’t have extra money for any snacks, so we just found two seats.”

    Martha chose that moment to bring out tea. “There you go, honey. I brought you some tea cookies, I know how you love them.” Joan thanked her and took a cookie and drank some tea. She offered me one, which I declined.

    “Now, where was I?” I prompted her. “Oh yes, we were sitting there waiting for the movie to start when I looked toward the door and saw the cutest boy I’d ever seen. I told Jean that I just found my husband. We both laughed, but I was serious. Love at first sight was what I had. The movie came on and it was incredible. We walked back home talking about the movie the whole way.

    The next day I was out feeding the chickens when I heard this truck out front. I was curious and walked around and was shocked when I saw it was the boy from yesterday. My daddy was talking to him, saw me, and said “come here, Joan. Come meet our new stable boy, Jack.” I walked over, and shyly said “It’s nice to meet you”, and he said the same.

    Every day after that we found a way to talk, I found out he was new in town. His daddy worked in the coal mine, but there was ten of them, like us, so he wanted to make a little extra money. My grandpa, who had money but was stingy, was actually paying him five cents a week. Jack and I was getting closer every day, but there was one thing I didn’t like about him. He was a fighter; he didn’t need much motivation to knock someone out. I found that out about him on our first official date at the church picnic. I had put on my Sunday best, and was excited about the day. I helped mama pack all the food up, and then Jack pulled up in his truck. He opened the door for me, which I could tell my daddy liked, and we drove the two miles to the church. It was a day sort of like today. The wind was blowing lightly, the sun shining brightly, and he looked at me with his blue eyes, and told me he was falling in love with me. I told him I felt the same, and he kissed me. I swear I saw fireworks.

    He walked me back over to where the ladies were getting the tables ready for lunch, and told me he was going to find my daddy. My stomach was tied in knots, and then I heard a commotion by the lake and saw two boys wrestling around on the ground. I shook my head at the way they were acting, and at a church event! I started to walk away when I saw that it was my future husband fighting. I was mad. I walked over to him, and said that I don’t like fighting, and then I stomped off.

    He followed me and tried to explain but I ignored him. He whirled me around, picked me up, and set me on the fence. “Now try and ignore me. I hit him because he was making fun of my sister. She has polio, and has to wear these leg braces, which he called ugly.” I really felt bad then, because I realized he had a beautiful heart. I told him I was sorry, and we kissed and made up. He then went to find my daddy.

    He found him and asked him to talk to him and my mama. So, they found mama and he sat with them inside the church. He told them he loved me and wanted to marry me. My daddy told him I was only 14, and he said he knew that but girls got married that age all the time in his family. Daddy made him promise to always take care of me, mama cried and that was it. He came and found me, and we kissed and it was magic.

    The next day reality hit us in the face. Where was we going to live, how will we pay bills, I had so many questions. Jack came over, took me on the front porch. “Honey, I got a job at the lumber mill. It don’t pay a lot but the man said there was a tiny apartment in the back where we could live. Come with me and see it.” We went, and oh Lord, child, it was terrible. You walked in, there was a big bed, a small kitchen with a table for two, and a room with a tin tub for bathing. There was an outhouse in the back. It was dirty, and I was heartbroken, but we wanted to start a life together, so I told him it was perfect, just needed some attention. So, he told the man we’d take it.

    In my mind I pictured my wedding day as magical, a white gown fit for a princess. I pictured flowers cascading down an arch, and a band playing music. I imagined daddy walking me down a long aisle, and making a speech about not losing a daughter, but gaining a son.

    My wedding day was not my fantasy day, everyone worked, so we got our minister to do it at the church, his wife was a witness, and his daughter. I wore my Sunday dress, and put a flower in my hair. Jack wore a shirt and tie. The minister asked us if we would love each other through sickness and health, for richer and poorer, to love and cherish, till death do we part, and we both said I do.

August 20, 2024 18:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.