10 comments

Mystery

You have known her since you were only three, 

her hair smells like the fresh blue sea.

Her eyes are a mix of brown and green,

While her hair is the colour of a cocoa bean.

There might be a knife stopping her breath, 

because she saw something that causes death. 

You only have 12 hours to spare,

So go save her if you know where.

It felt like the world crashed down on me as I realized who the fortune cookie was talking about. My sister. Lyra Smith. My stomach dropped and I felt empty even though I just ate. Why her? She saw something that causes death. What did that have to do with anything? I quickly called her but it went to voicemail. I panicked as I realized what happened. She probably got kidnapped.  Fortune cookies were known to be accurate with only a one percent chance of it not being so. I slammed my hand on the table, earning questioning looks from all the other people in the restaurant. I shot back a withering glance before sitting down.  My head was hurting and I glanced up at the clock and saw it was 4:36 pm. I have 12 hours to save her. And I will save her even if it’s the last thing I do. 

As I got my hoverboard, I thought about how I could find Lyra but my mind was blank. All I could think about was her and what I would do without her. She was my only close family member left. My parents had died when I was 18 but I still get to talk to them once a month due to a system that allows you to meet dead relatives. I can’t afford to lose her. I know most people say that their siblings are annoying but we are like two peas in a pod. We have been close since the moment Lyra was born even though there was a three-year gap between us. All of my favourite memories have to do with her. From the time I pushed her down the stairs by accident on her birthday to us going skydiving together. We were always together and always eating chips. My mind clicked and I realized. Every citizen of London has a tracking chip attached to them. But how do I get access to the chip? I knew just the person I had to go to. 

~~~

I took the hyperloop, it was modelled after a train from the 20th century but much faster, to get to the house I needed to go to, since it was across the city. I looked out of the window to see a perfect view of London. The Eye was shining brightly and there were tall skyscrapers everywhere. People with hoverboards were flying around, but there were also a few cars on the roads. The street lights were bright and illuminated the dark sky. I sighed as I thought about Lyra. I glanced up at the screen displaying the news and saw that they were looking for the drug kingpin. They had been looking for him or her for the last 3 years. But alas, they did not succeed yet. 

“Next stop. Carnaby Street.” the robot conductor came and informed me. I glared at the robot then got off the train ready to walk to my friend’s house. All throughout the walk I only thought about Lyra.  Please be alright Lyra I thought to myself.

“Hey mate. I need something from you.”  I announced, walking into my friend Hyperion’s apartment. I looked around to see it was nicely decorated with the common theme of black furniture and grey walls.

“Atlas! What’s up?” Hyperion asked, a hint of concern in his voice.

“Lyra…” My voice cracked slightly.

“What happened to her?” He questioned.

“She got kidnapped. The fortune cookie said so…” I answered. 

I heard a gasp come from Hyperion. 

Tears pricked my eyes.

“How can I help?” 

“I was wondering if you could track Lyra’s chip and find her location,” I said, ready for him to say no.

“I would have to hack into the server for that! Do you know how illegal that is! There is no way I’m doing that. Sorry man.” He exclaimed

“P...Plea...Please!” I said, surprising myself, “Just this once. I swear I’ll never ask you to do this again. Please Hyperion.” I implored. Hyperion looked at me in shock as I never said please to anyone before sighing and giving me a nod.

“Thank you! Thank you so much!” I stood up and shook his hand. He left to go get his laptop. I knew Hyperion would help me. We had known each other since year 7 and had always been the closest of friends. We were matched together by the algorithm the same as everyone with the person they would be best friends with. I caught a glimpse of my face in the mirror. My normally hazel eyes had turned into a dark shade of brown and my brown hair was ruffled up. Hyperion walked in with his laptop and sat down next to me on the couch. He started typing in numbers and code into his laptop. I had no idea what was going on. There was only silence in Hyperions apartment except for his occasional muttering. The silence was getting to me and I was getting more annoyed by the minute. 

“How much longer?” I pestered, annoyance colouring  my voice

“Be patient. I’m almost done.” He replied calmly

“I am being patient! You are just taking too long!” I snapped, instantly regretting it. He just nodded his head and continued working. Ten minutes passed and still no response. There was just the sound of typing. My eyes started to droop and I stifled a yawn. My eyes felt heavy and I leaned back on the couch, tired from what had happened today. Before I knew it, I was asleep.

~~~

“Wake up! Atlas! Lyra is in trouble, wake up!” My eyes snapped open to see Hyperion standing over me. I glanced at the clock behind him and saw it was already… 

“3:30 am!? I only have an hour left!” I shrieked. “Did you find out where Lyra is?” 

Hyperion nodded and answered with a calm voice. “She’s near the alley by Oxford street. You know the weird creepy one that’s super dar?.” I gasped. That was the street where all the drug dealers meet. It was a super sketchy place and getting caught there could send you to jail. I uttered a quick and silent thank you to Atlas.

“I’ll repay you. Listen for a message in your neural chip.” I see a bright light on Hyperion’s hand and wait until I see the same on my hand. The light appeared on my hand and I smiled before running out of the door. I grabbed my hoverboard and turned it on. I stood on it but it didn’t move.

“All hoverboards temporarily disabled by the leaders for maintenance”, my hoverboard said. I groaned. My luck is horrible. I kicked my hoverboard and looked around for a flying bike. There were usually many left on the roads for other people to use. I ran around until I found one. I grabbed the bike and flew it all the way to Oxford street before I got stuck in traffic. I yelled in frustration before getting off the bike and I started running towards the alley. 

I ran as fast as my thin legs could allow me. My watch ticked, signalling that I only had 17 minutes left to rescue Lyra. I stumbled as I came across a dark alley. 

“Lyra? Are you there?” I hollered.

“Atlas! Help me!” I heard a faint scream coming from the end of the alley.

“I’m coming,  Lyra!” I hollered as I bumped into a man dressed in all black. I recognized him from somewhere. But from where? Probably from work. 

“Have you seen my sister? She had brown hair and hazel eyes. Really tall and skinny. ” I blurted. 

“Yes. We have her.” He smirked. I threw a punch at him but he dodged it. He pulled my hood off and froze when he saw me. A part of me wondered why he froze , but I shoved it down. He had my sister somewhere I threw a few more punches, successfully hitting him this time. 

“Hand her over,” I ordered, “What did she do to you?” 

“She saw us dealing with drugs and threatened to call the cops on us.” The man grumbled.

 I paled at the mention of drugs. 

“If you let her go, I promise we won’t tell anyone. “ I said, raising my voice.

“How do we know you won’t?” He questioned. 

I thought about this before answering“We don’t even know your name. We can’t report you.” 

He was quiet before yelling “Let her go!” to his friends.

Lyra came running to me and I hugged her with a huge sigh of relief... Words were unnecessary to know how she felt. We were both glad that she was okay.

“Atlas, they’re drug dealers! We need to go tell the police!” she sobbed. 

I shook my head and she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

“You will do no such thing sis. I promised them that I won’t report them to the cops otherwise, they would have never given you back.” I scolded

“But-”

“No buts.” I cut her off,” We are leaving this place right now. Let’s go home Lyra.” I said, “It’s been a long day today.” I was met with silence.

“Lyra?” 

“It’s over, brother! Turn around.”  She snarled. I turned around to see her with a gun aimed at me. 

“What’s going on? Is something wrong?” I asked even though I already know what was happening. 

“Don’t lie to me more than you have already! I know you’re the kingpin. You deal with all the drugs coming in and out of London.” 

I realized she figured out my secret. How did this not show up on that fortune cookie? I glanced at my clock and realized it was 4:38 in the morning. I groaned out loud, realizing my mistake. Fortune cookies only predict what happens within  12 hours accurately. My 12 hours were over. My mind was racing on how to get myself out of this mess.

“Let’s go home and talk about this calmly. The police doesn’t need to know. I swear I’ll stop.” I pleaded as I thought about the consequences I would have to face.

“The police already know, Atlas. The police are here right now.” She spat with a deadly glare. I gasped as I realized what she was saying. 

“Y...Yo...You are a cop!” 

“Yes, an undercover one. I’m in Vice. And lucky for me, I found the leader.”  She said, the anger never leaving her face. 

“But how-” I started

“I had my suspicions before, but when the guy panicked when he saw you I knew for sure. Also, the fact that you never want to report anything related to drugs,” Lyra revealed.

 I wanted to say something but words couldn’t come out of my mouth. I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard sirens.

“Lyra. Just let me go this time. You can’t do this to your brother! Please” I pleaded, ashamed of begging like I was helpless.

“I stopped calling you my brother the day I figured out you deal drugs! How could you?” She shouted. She motioned for the cops in the van to come over.

“Give him the black pill. Hold him down.”  She ordered her voice cracking. 

“No! Please stop. I swear I’ll stop! Lyra please!” I felt two pairs of hands grab hold of me and someone fed me a pill. Handcuffs grasped my hands and a searing pain made me yelp. The pill was taking its effect by making sure I couldn’t move due to the pain. As I collapsed in agony, I looked up to see Lyra with tears streaming down her cheeks. 

“Why? I thought you were the good guy! Why would you do something like this Atlas?” She sobbed. 

“It was for you... With mom and dad gone I had to pay for you and your education. This was just a side business to help out.” I whispered, guilt overcoming me for the first time in my life. 

She looked at me, disbelief plastered over her face before she muttered three dreadful words

“Take him away.” 

I screamed as I was dragged away against the hard cement on the road against my will. 

“Lyra… Please! I swear I’ll stop! Please!” I screamed as loud as my already hoarse voice could. 

“No! I’m sorry Atlas but you are going to jail forever.” She whispered. 

I slumped as I finally realized that there is no point anymore. I was going to jail. I had messed up, big time. 

“I’m sorry. I love you Lyra and I’m so sorry that I messed it all up.” I sighed. I was pulled away before I could hear her response. 

The blazing rays of the evening sun had died down

Dusk arrived and brought me a frown

I could see my world breaking apart

The betrayal hit me like a dart

The dark alleys had brought me my demise

But my eyes were still set on the prize

I don’t regret most of the things I did

While a farewell is what I shall bid

July 17, 2020 16:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Keerththan 😀
03:02 Jul 30, 2020

Great story. Well written. Loved it. Would you mind reading my story "The secret of power?"

Reply

Smera P
16:51 Jul 30, 2020

Thank you! And I left a comment on your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riyad Ghabashi
10:08 Jul 27, 2020

Amazing. an imaginary sitting for the story + emotionally touching. = Perfect writing👏

Reply

Smera P
17:06 Jul 27, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:19 Jul 25, 2020

Wow, Smera P! You definitely have the spark for world-building! It's hard to explain the parameters of a futuristic society in such a short story, but I feel that I understood pretty much all of the new concepts you introduced. The poetry at the beginning and end was so fun; it's fascinating that society would be so inclined to interpret fortune cookies so seriously. Just something that would improve your story is cleaning up grammar and dialogue tags. It will make the narrative flow better and it's good practice for the long run. And just s...

Reply

Smera P
18:51 Jul 25, 2020

Thank you so much for you suggestions! I will be sure to use them for future stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Manu Naik
04:47 Jul 25, 2020

Nice one dude...

Reply

Smera P
18:51 Jul 25, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
04:38 Jul 31, 2020

It was nice i love it wow superstory

Reply

Smera P
20:06 Jul 31, 2020

Thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.