3 comments

Drama Fiction Sad

He has to be here somewhere, Elizabeth thought to herself. She was sure she had sent him the invite. “Hey,” her husband, Jack, interrupted her thoughts. “Don’t worry. I’m sure he’ll be here. As for now, enjoy the event.” He kissed her cheek and continued saying hello to the guests who had just arrived. He was right. She had to stop worrying when she had guests to entertain. She walked over to the bright red and green decorated table and took in the familiar scents of cinnamon and peppermint. The cookies looked great. The décor of red and green ribbons and table cloth looked amazing against the cookies. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves down before walking around the room to exchange pleasantries.

“The place looks, breathtaking, dear. You have such a lovely home.” Aunt Margret said as she took her into her arms and gave her a tight hug. She had a strong vanilla perfume that almost made Elizabeth choke. Her colourful puffed up dress made it more difficult. She wanted to pull away but didn’t want to appear disrespectful. “You look just like her,” She said, tears filling her blue eyes. “Look at me getting all emotional,” she said with a nervous chuckle while wiping away her tears. She hadn’t realized that she too had tears rolling down her cheeks. “It was lovely seeing you, my dear,” She gave her a weak smile as she turned to continue mingling with the guests.

Elizabeth tried to compose herself before walking back into the busy room. She straightened her maroon dress and turned to head into the living room. Before she could move any further, she heard a voice that made her stop in her tracks. He came. She stood there staring. She hadn’t seen him in twelve years, and yet he hadn’t changed. He still had the same green eyes that resembled hers and the same brown hair. “Elizabeth,” he called out with a wide smile. His voice hadn’t changed either. His teeth still fell in line and were still bright. “Elizabeth?” It took her back to when she was a little girl and had just lost her first set of teeth. “Elizabeth?” he asked in his usual way, wondering if she was all right. She nodded, and he smiled. She took in the man standing right in front of her. Through the years, her father hadn’t changed a single bit.

“How have you been?” He asks, breaking the uncomfortable silence. She had planned out all that she’d say to him the day he came back. She had written an entire speech that she would read out to him the day he showed his face again. She dreamt of the day she would look him in the eyes and see nothing but regret for leaving them. She promised herself she wouldn’t give in to the thought that constantly tormented her. He never loved or cared for them. She promised herself that she would be strong. The anger that had grown inside of her was ready to explode when she remembered the nights that her mother stayed up late, hoping and praying that he would come back. She remembered the number of times she reassured her they were going to be fine. She couldn’t do it.  

“Why did you leave?” The question leaves her mouth, shocking both of them.

“Why don’t we take this conversation outside?” He asks smiling at her. 

It’s snowing, and the chilly breeze nearly knocks Elizabeth away. He holds onto her, leading her to an empty bench outside. “I’m sorry.” He says when they finally take their seats. “I should have stayed. I had convinced myself that I was leaving to find a better life for you and your mother. I told myself that once I had the money, I would come back and give you both a good life. All of that changed when I heard that your mother was sick and needed chemo.” Elizabeth took in a painful breath. He knew, yet he never came back. “I knew that I wasn’t strong enough. I couldn’t stand and watch your mother suffer. I chipped in the best I could and paid for her treatment, but when I heard that she passed on I…” He stops wiping away a stray tear. “I never forgave myself. I kept thinking that if I had stayed, then maybe she wouldn’t have gotten sick, and she’d still be here with us. I didn’t know how you were doing and if you needed any help that it killed me. I stopped eating, I couldn’t sleep, and I thought that maybe you too were no more. That was until I saw your invite and I took it as a second chance. An opportunity to make things right and rebuild the relationship we once had.” The weight lifted off her chest. She hadn’t realized that she too was in tears. After all those years, she finally had her father back. She hugged him and reassured him that everything was going to be okay. She thought that the past was behind them till she opened his mouth to speak. “Before your mother died, she asked me to give you this,” he said while he reached into his coat and pulled out a white envelope. She took it with shaky hands as her dad stood up, ready to leave. “I’ll be in the house if you need me.”

She had a mix of emotions as she ripped the cover open, revealing her mother’s handwriting.


 ‘To my dearest Lizzie,

 Words cannot describe how precious you are to me and how proud I am of the woman you are going to be. You are smart, beautiful and strong-hearted and I am going to miss you. I’m sorry that I have to leave you, but I will always be a part of you. You will never be alone. I’ll be watching over you, my little angel. Don’t forget to be kind and caring like you always have, and though life can be difficult, never give up.

 I love you very, very much. Never forget that.

 Hugs and kisses,

 Mommy.’

 She held onto the letter so tight, scared that it’d disappear just like she did. “Don’t worry mom, I won’t let you go this time.” She said to herself as she stared at the stars wondering if she could see the woman she had become.


December 09, 2020 09:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Bridget Hussey
21:11 Dec 16, 2020

As an English teacher, I would suggest looking at how to write dialog :) But overall the story was good. I wish I knew some more about the relationship with the mother and daughter as a set up in the beginning. Something that would tie in with the letter at the end. Your last paragraph is very touching, a great ending!

Reply

Hope Mwaura
05:48 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you. I will.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hope Mwaura
05:49 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you. I will.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.