1 comment

Fantasy Friendship Suspense

The air surrounding June was stagnant and humid, the soft tapping of rain against rock mixed with the whispering of the wind. She stood still, her hand resting on the hilt of her sword. Her gaze was cautious as she glanced around at the people she had once called friends. To her right was a taller man with wavy brown hair and green eyes. He was dressed in a red aketon that lay under his silver armor, the royal insignia sewn into the fabric. His name was William.

“Come with us peacefully or be slayed on the spot assassin” William’s voice was challenging, an attempt at intimidation. June turned toward him, her gaze sharp like the sword on her hip.

“William. The King is using you, don't you see? You are not on the side of justice” Her grip on the hilt of her sword loosened as she took a wary step closer.

“What you are doing goes against everything you worked for?” William watched her closely, drawing his sword when she stepped closer.

“You are an assassin, I am a Knight. I have honor, you have everything but” He explained, his tone changing the more he spoke. The rain around them began to fall harder, the sound filling their ears. June shook her head, her hand returning to the holt of her sword. She slowly drew the glistening blade, holding it out with both hands. William did the same, his movements mirroring hers. William’s eyes narrowed, his eyebrows furrowing.

“Show me what you’ve learned wasting your time on the side of evil” He says, pushing forward off the muddy rock. He runs toward her, swinging his sword toward her torso. June swiftly counters, her blade meeting his in a battle of strength.

“The king is not a good man William. He has many other Knights, what do you think will happen when he doesn’t need you anymore?” June asks loudly above the pounding of the rain. William’s platoon stands in a circle around them, their swords drawn and ready as they watch the battle unfold.

“That won't happen. I’m the best, I trust the king to think wisely” William explains, his voice coming out as a growl of frustration as June kicks him backward. She swings her sword through the muggy air, her blade grazing the ground where William once lay. He rolls onto his side, avoiding the strike and reaching for his sword.

“Do you truly believe the King is trustworthy?” June asks, though she couldn’t care less with how he answered. She shifted back into a ready position, facing William who was now on his feet. He stood still, his blade lowered as he stared at her. His expression was contorted with mixed emotion.

“Why do you care what happens to me?” He asks, though it’s closer to a yell over the roar of the water droplets against the cliff. June lowers her sword, raising a hand to wipe the wet hair off her face.

“Because you're all of what I have left. The King’s idea of change is twisted and evil, he's already killed and burned down all the villages in the west. I’m here to stop him, even if that means taking his head” Her voice is sharp and dangerous, almost challenging. The cliff falls silent, the only sounds are rain against metal armor. William shakes his head, his wavy brown hair straightened by the rain.

“What are you talking about?” He asks, sounding exhausted. June slides her sword back into its sheath, lowering her hands against her sides away from her weapons.

“Weeks ago I was visiting my mother in the west, when I arrived the village was in flames and his soldiers were the ones causing it.” June explains, watching with a glimmer of hope as William’s expression falls. He quickly turns toward the closest knight that stood beside him.

“Is this true Sir Baron?” He asks, barely loud enough for June to hear. The knight named Baron turns his head toward William, staying silent. Finally he flips up his face shield, revealing a nasty scar across his left eye.

“It is.” William fell silent, his eyes wide with realization. He turned back toward June, opening his mouth to say something. However, before he could, a sword pierced his stomach. William froze, his knees giving into the pain. June stepped forward in surprise, her slow reaction throwing her off guard. Baron held the hilt of his blade sternly, pulling his arm back as he withdrew his sword from William’s wound. He falls to the ground, his cheek making contact with the hard dirt of the cliff. June raises her eyes, reaching back into her belt and withdrawing a small but sharp dagger. She runs forward as the surrounding soldiers attempt to ambush her. Her knees hit the ground, the padding of her knee pads sliding across the hard rock, a dust cloud coating her shoes and her cloak. June flings the dagger, watching with satisfaction as it hits Baron in the chest. She slides her arms under William’s arms, pulling him up onto her lap, his face positioned upward to the sky. He was still breathing.

“Wake up William” She begs, glancing warily toward the knights surrounding them. Her eyes examine William’s face, searching for some sign that he’s awake. He shifts, groaning in pain when he tries to sit up.

“No, don't move. You’ll make it worse” June slides her hands over his stab wound, applying pressure to try and stop the bleeding. The knight with the scar neared closer, his sword raised. June pulled out her sword, angling it toward the soldier in an attempt at self defense. Except he swung his sword into hers, knocking the blade from her hands. He then pulled his sword back, preparing for another swing. However, as he swung his blade toward June’s head, he froze, the sword falling from his grasp as he stumbled forward. The knight's knees collided with the ground and he groaned before he became limp against the dusty rock. He was dead. June released a shaky breath that she didn’t know she was holding, her grip on William’s body tightening protectively. To say she was surprised was an understatement. Her eyes focused on the man in knights armor who stood behind where Baron’s body now lies. The knight flips his face guard upward to reveal a panting man with thin brown hair. He rushes forward, falling to his knees beside William and examining his condition for himself. June tilts her head to the side with a confused expression, watching the knight with skeptical eyes. He seemed to notice her staring because he turned his face to face her, his brown eyes meeting hers. He smiles softly, sitting back on his heels.

“My name is Sir Mathew. I am a friend of William’s.” He explains, reaching down to the hemline of his aketon and tearing a piece along the bottom. Mathew leans over William, placing the cloth over his stab wound and wrapping it snuggly around his torso.

“This should help for the time being. We should go get help” June shakes her head, raising her hand as a sign for him to pause.

“Wait.. what? Why are you helping me? You’ll become an enemy of the King, you killed that man-” She continues, motioning to Baron’s limp body. Mathew nods, shrugging slightly as he wraps his arms under William’s, lifting him off the ground.

“I am helping you because it’s the right thing to do.. Or.. I believe it is. Help me with this will you.. Uh?” He pauses, glancing toward her with raised eyebrows.

“June” She answers, allowing William to fall back against her as Mathew shifts so he can carry William on his back. He nods, bowing ever so slightly toward her once William is situated.

“It is nice to meet you, June. Now we must go” June shot a cursory glance toward the rest of the platoon of Knights, though they didn’t seem like they would attack them anytime soon. They were standing around, looking at one another, their face guards raised and their swords lowered. June nudges Mathew in the ribs, signaling him along down the rocky cliff path toward the forest where they could make their escape.

“Alright. Lets go”

March 13, 2024 12:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Timothy Rennels
00:59 Mar 21, 2024

But where did they go? Good action descriptions. Welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.