0 comments

Contemporary Fiction

San Francisco, CA

Tabitha Grisham stared at the oval diamond on her finger. Something wasn’t right. Exactly what, she didn’t know. She did know that being apprehensive wasn’t a great way to feel on her wedding day. Rising, she walked to the window to stare over San Francisco. While the Bay Area was a great place to visit, she loved Sacramento. She was only relocating because of Damian. It was hard enough to maintain a dating relationship with ninety miles between them. She refused to start her marriage that way.

Fingering her wedding gown, she wondered for the hundredth time if she wouldn’t feel better if she’d chosen the ivory over the latte gown. While the darker color suited her sun-kissed skin and deep golden locks better, it was too over-the-top for some of Damien’s relatives. Namely his mother. It didn’t take much to set her off. She wasn’t Pippa Bandini’s favorite person in the first place. Her family was too nouveau-riche, and she was too common and ambitious to wed the scion of an old-money family with California roots that went back almost three hundred years.

Tabby snorted softly. Pip tended to forget that her family didn’t have a tin plate to their name until the Gold Rush of ’96. That her great-great-whatever grandfather was one of the few to strike it rich in the Yukon was the only reason she was Mrs. Diego Esteban Bandini today. Well, that coupled with being the first runner-

up to Miss Universe a lifetime ago. Beauty went a long way in Cali. In all fairness, Pippa had brains and beauty. She wouldn’t be the head of the accounting department at a major university if she didn’t. However, none of that changed she was shallow and manipulative as well.

“Honey, you need to get dressed.” Tabby started at the sound of her mother’s voice. “The guests are beginning to arrive.”

“I guess I do.” She watched Marina Grisham remove her gown from the hanger. “I lost track of time after everyone left.”

She’d banished her bridesmaids after her makeup and hair were done to have a few moments of silence before she vowed her life away. Fortunately, the girls understood she needed time to collect herself. A lot was going on in her life. More than they knew, and more than this wedding. While she’d forced herself to enjoy her all-expenses-paid bachelorette weekend with her closest friends in Vegas, part of her was preoccupied with unexplained happenings at her company. Events that potentially affected her business a great deal. While her consultants tried to shield her from the unrest until after her wedding she’d heard too many disturbing whispers to be comfortable on her honeymoon,

“Well, the girls are waiting outside to help you dress.” It seemed impossible her baby girl was getting married.

“I don’t need them.” She couldn’t face the constant chatter. “I just need you.”

“Okay.” Marina smiled as she headed for the door. “I’ll send them to Katie instead.”

“Works for me.” Her crew would rather flirt with the groomsmen than fuss with her train anyway. “I’ve been having second thoughts about my gown all morning.”

“Stop it.” Marina batted her hands away and removed the gown from the hanger. “This gown is perfect, and you know it. Forget Pip. You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t with that woman.” Casual friends with her daughter’s future mother-in-law Marina wasn’t under any illusions about her character. “Ignore her and live your life as you’ve always done. Your marriage won’t survive if you don’t.”

“You’re right.” Tabby stepped into her gown and carefully pulled it over her hips. “As long as I remember I love Damien more than I hate dealing with his mother I’ll be okay. I wouldn’t marry him if I felt differently.”

She’d refused his proposal twice for just that reason. The third time was the charm.

“Then it’s good that Pip and Diego live in Monterrey.” Marina turned her daughter towards the full-length mirror. “You won’t see them that often.” Carefully straightening the fabric here and there, she took a step back. “You’ll take everyone’s breath away.”

Staring at her reflection, Tabby hoped her mother was right, although taking Damien’s breath away was all that mattered. She thought he’d be pleasantly surprised by her transformation. Gone was the strong, independent entrepreneur. The woman staring back at her was classy and sassy. Shaking her doubts, she decided her gown was still as perfect as the day she bought it. The fit and flare design suited her toned, hourglass figure, and the plunging neckline and low back were tastefully sexy. Fingering a beaded spaghetti strap, she admired how beautifully the latte gown overlaid with beaded ivory illusion suited her coloring from her caramel waves to her lightly tanned skin and warm, neutral makeup.

“You may be right.” She’d never looked this fantastic in her life. “I think I’m glowing from the inside out.”

“I think you are.” Love did that to a girl. “Here, we’re out of time.” Marina handed her the massive bouquet of blush-colored dahlias, roses, and calla lilies. “Katie will be knocking on the door any time now.”

“Speak of the devil.” Tabby laughed softly as she opened the door. “Dad’s waiting on me? Good. See you later, Mom.”

“You sure will.” After the ceremony and before the reception. “You look beautiful.”

Watching her daughter leave, Marina couldn’t shake the feeling that the fancy cognac diamond parure Damien gifted her daughter to wear on their wedding day would return to the jeweler before this day ended. As much as it pained her to think it, something felt off. That was the real reason she’d checked on her daughter. She could tell Tabby felt the same by her demeanor. She wasn’t as swept up in becoming Mrs. Damien Esteban Bandini as she should be. Not mindlessly joyful that the big day had finally come.

Shaking her thoughts, Marina exited the dressing room and headed for the hall. Taking her place by her son, she watched as Katie queued each wedding party member when it was their time to walk down the aisle. Smiling softly, she allowed her son to escort her to her seat before turning to watch the rest of the wedding party parade to their places.

Damien’s younger brother looked so handsome in his tuxedo. If she didn’t miss her guess, Andres would be engaged before too long. Being the best man at his brother’s wedding was putting thoughts in his head. The rest of the groomsmen were equally dashing. Don’t get her started on the bridesmaids. They were all lovely, especially Andres’ girlfriend Beatrice. Silently clapping her hands in excitement, Marina watched her daughter walk down the aisle escorted by the most handsome man in the world. She’d felt that way the day she married her husband, and she felt that way now.

Listening to Father Geoff drone the obligatory, "Should anyone present know of any reason this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony,…” minutes later, Marina was jolted to see a man calmly walking down the middle of the aisle with his hand up in response to the query. Watching the man speak a few words to Tabitha, she was shocked when he turned to Damien and cuffed him. Watching her daughter’s fiancé escorted down the aisle and out the front door, she rose slowly to her feet only to resume her seat when Tabitha stepped forward and handed her bouquet to her matron of honor.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry to announce that the wedding is off.” Determination strengthened her voice. “Unfortunately, the groom has been arrested. Thank you for coming. Please enjoy the reception. All gifts will be returned as soon as possible.”

Staring over the shocked crowd, Tabby turned on her heel and walked through a side door. Pip was getting her heart’s desire; just not how she’d likely wanted.

§§§

Taylorsville, NC

Thanking the flight attendant, Tabby watched her empty tray disappear. Breakfast was better than she’d anticipated. She couldn't ask for better between the charcuterie board, excellent coffee, and that delicious cinnamon croissant. She wished the rest of her life was half as good. Staring out the window, she was grateful Bishop approached her at the reception.

An old family friend she rarely saw, he was her unsung hero. He didn’t have to offer Sofie’s beach house for as long as she needed. That was above and beyond the call of duty. All he asked in return was a quick text telling him when she was coming. He’d take care of the rest. It was an offer too good to refuse. She’d accepted on the spot without a second thought. A private house near the ocean in a small Southern town sounded like the perfect hideaway to lick her wounds.

Speaking of Bishop, she still couldn’t believe he was married. She’d laughed in disbelief when her family received the invitation to his wedding. The consensus was that he wouldn’t go through with it. Everyone expected that last-minute note calling the whole thing off. Bishop loved his freedom too much. Or so everyone believed until they saw him with Aila.

The man was head over rear in love with a woman he should never have met and wouldn’t have if Aila hadn’t adopted Sofie, his secret love child. Tabby laughed softly. She’d found the situation quaintly charming, and surreal considering who the groom was. The bride was a different story. She was exactly as Bishop described her. Shockingly nice and guileless with the most adorable daughter she’d ever seen.

Speaking of Aila, she’d volunteered to pick her up at the airport, take her to the cottage, and show her around. While not necessary, she appreciated the gesture. She also appreciated that Bishop had taken care of everything from filling her fridge and pantry to setting up a workspace in the third bedroom to providing a nice car she could use.

Staring out the window, she was clueless about how to thank Bishop and Aila for their generosity. How did one thank a billionaire who has everything? She wasn’t sure. She’d talk to her dad. Maybe Bishop could use updated interactive history programs for his boutique hotels. That was something she could do. Or maybe Sofie and Ethan could stay overnight with her here and there so Bishop and Aila could have a few date nights. While currently clueless, she’d figure something out before she left.

There was no way she’d take what they’d done for granted. Allowing her to rent the cottage would have been enough, but Bishop wouldn’t hear of it. This was an all-inclusive gift to the kid sister he never had. Tabby shook her head. While it was true that the world knew Nolan Bishop for his ruthlessness in the business world, his close friends and family knew the real man, and he was a keeper. Aila was, too. Maybe she’d get to know her better while she was in town. She could use a friend about now.

Seeing the landscape below, she realized they were nearing final descent. She’d been so lost in thought that she must have missed the pilot’s announcement. From the look of things, they’d arrive in Wilmington in a half hour or so. She better start getting her mental act together. While no one expected her to be in a good head space, she didn’t want anyone to know how much her whole universe publicly imploding a week ago undermined her emotional and professional confidence.

She was a cybersecurity whiz kid. Her fiancé shouldn’t have been able to steal her newest prototype, but he had. Then again, not seeing what was happening right under her nose was somewhat forgivable. No woman expected the man sharing her life to steal her corporate secrets. That was the only saving grace in this situation, and probably the only thing that saved her business. Well, that, and the catastrophic glitch she’d recently discovered. The one she’d never shared with Damien for some reason. Fortunately, she’d put rewriting the program on the back burner until after her wedding and honeymoon, so the prototype Damien sold her competitors was worthless. That was the real blessing in the whole mess.

July 29, 2024 01:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.