First and Last Kiss of the Year

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write about someone scrambling to finish a goal in the last few hours of the year.... view prompt

2 comments

Teens & Young Adult Fiction Friendship

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!” A shriek was heard across Alison’s house. For a moment, she contemplated ignoring the creator of that shriek to focus on her schoolwork. As if that would actually help her pass or anything. It was just better than the alternative, or detention. 

“Alison!” Sighing, she clicked ‘Save’ on her school project, turned her computer off, and strolled into her sister’s room, not bothering to knock. 

“What is it now, Maddie?” She asked, closing the door behind her before leaning against it with her arms crossed. Normally, at this time of night, everyone in the house should be glued to their screens. “Do you need glue or extra pens?” She asked, glancing nonchalantly at her sister’s choice of décor. Alison will never understand her obsession with the big balls of gas in the sky. Star patterns, posters of constellations and that one image of a black hole, and charts of the Solar System adorned every inch of the room, from the walls to the bedspread. The only thing Alison saw when she looked at that ‘black hole’ was a glazed donut. Supporting Madison’s aspirations was one thing, understanding her was another.

“Alison!” Madison was sprawled on her bed with her face buried in her pillow. Alison rolled her eyes.

“What?” There was some grumbling before a face appeared in the midst of dark curls. The face pouted and squinted her eyes. Alison guessed she was trying to make the puppy eyes expression, but she just looked like she needed glasses.

“You gotta help me, Alison.”

“With what? Socializing?”

“Yes!”

“Wait what?” Madison had always been the least social of the three, and the least willing to socialise. Addison, the oldest by three years, graduated last year and was now in college in another State. It was only Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She had gotten a full scholarship too. Only a day’s work for straight-A Addison. 

“Help me find someone to kiss at midnight.” Madison rolled herself onto her side so she faced Alison and clasped her hands together. “Please? I can’t ask my friends, they’d call me ridiculous. Plus, you’re way more social than I am, you know everyone. You have connections.”

“Name one.”

“You convinced at least half of the Basketball Team to help you organize the Charity Carnival one year.”

“First off, stop talking about it like I manipulated them into helping me. I just tutored one of their little brothers once.” Alison heard Madison apologise quietly as she continued. “More importantly, why would you want a midnight kiss? No offense, but you’ve never cared about this kind of stuff before.”

“I want the good luck.” Madison replied so softly, Alison almost didn’t hear her. Luckily, all of their rooms were pretty echoey. Alison was overcome with laughter as she responded.

“I’m pretty sure that’s not how that works.” She had to clutch her stomach from laughing so hard. 

"It- It's so I can join NASA, Alison!" Madison pouted.

“Alright, alright. I’ll help you.” Alison wheezed, after she finally caught her breath.

“You will? Oh thank you thank you! I owe you one, Ali.”

“Great! Now help me take inventory of the snacks we have left.”

“What? Why?”

“Because we’re gonna throw a party.”

-------------------------------------------

“I still don’t think this would work.” Madison protested loudly when she saw Alison return from the kitchen with a bottle of ketchup. Behind her, a group of seniors were playing beer pong.

“Of course it will.” Alison yelled as someone behind her started yelling, putting the bottle down next to the fries on the snack table.

The party was in full swing around them. People had flocked to join one of the last house parties of the year.

“What if our parents come back?” Madison worried, making sideways glances outside. There were only a huge crowd of partygoers in their backyard right now. Most of them were trying out their hoverboard. Alison and Madison both knew that the moment a familiar red sports car pulled up, it was time to shut the party down.

“Please. It’s a vacation to Paris. They won’t be back until at least mid-January. I won’t be surprised if Mom returns with a bun in the oven.”

“Ali!”

“What? They’ve never been secretive about wanting a son.” Alison grimaced. Their parents did love and care for all three of their daughters, yes, but they had always been more on the carefree side. A memory of being left behind at the playground overnight for a weekend flashed through Alison’s head.

“Focus.” Alison put her hands on her sister’s shoulders. “Have you talked to any guys yet?”

“Well, I- I mean-” Madison stammered.

“No, you haven’t.”

“No, I haven’t.” Hearing this, Alison took Madison’s hand and forcefully pulled her towards a group of teens sitting on the floor around a glass bottle.

“Wait wait wait!” Madison grabbed a nearby countertop to try and stop herself from moving. “I’ve never talked to them before. I don’t even know them that well!”

“Then let’s get to know them.” Alison sat down and gestured for her sister to sit down next to her. “Hey guys, if we join you?”

“No prob, Alison. We’re playing Spin the Bottle.” The girl next to Alison answered.

“Hey, what’s Spin the Bottle?” Madison leaned over and asked, as someone reached over and spun the bottle.

“You spin a bottle in a circle and kiss whoever it points at.” Alison whispered.

“What?” Madison yelped, causing everyone in the circle to stare at her. After awkwardly waving them away, Madison gaped at her. “There’s a game like this?” 

“Uh-huh. You’ll get your kiss in no time.” Alison winked, before turning her attention back to the game.

“It’s not a midnight kiss, but I’ll take it.” Madison mumbled.

The bottle spun and spun, but it never once landed on Madison. Even Alison got to kiss someone. But not her.

“That was nice, Chloe.” Alison had said after her kiss, a little lightheaded. Madison could tell by the way she swayed when she parted from the other girl.

“Yeah. A little too dry for me, but nice.” Alison smacked her shoulder lightly, before sharing a laugh together. Madison envied how easily Alison talked to others. Madison could only dream of being that easygoing when talking to strangers. 

After a few more rounds, one of the boys had to go home. When he left, he brought quite a chunk of the group with her, as they had all carpooled together. With that, the circle of Spin the Bottle disbanded.

“You said we’d get to know them, Alison.” Madison huffed as she and Alison walked off. “All I’ve gotten to know is how they kiss!”

Alison snickered. “Be patient, dear sister. The night is still young.”

“Wait, it’s ten past eleven now?” She looked up to see Madison pointing at the clock on the wall.

“Yeah. So what?”

“Well,” Madison paused, “it’s past my curfew.”

“What curfew? We don’t have a curfew.”

“Uh, I do. No more activity after eleven. I should head to bed right now. Goodnig-” Madison started walking towards the stairs.

“Are you kidding me? This is a party! We don't sleep until the party stops!” Alison moved her hips to the beat of the music.

“Wait a second- you wanted a midnight kiss!” Alison realised abruptly. Madison lowered her face and avoided eye contact with her sister. 

“What’s going on, Maddie?” Alison crossed her arms and demanded. Madison, for a moment, remained quiet and still. 

“Maddie.” Alison repeated in a firm tone. “What is it?”

“I- it’s just that-” Madison’s voice trailed off. “This isn’t going to work, Alison.”

“Yes, it will.” Alison was lowkey furious, but she didn’t show any of it.

"NO!" Madison yelled. Once again, everyone started staring at her. Madison looked like a deer in headlights, her face red as a tomato. "No, it won't, Alison." She continued, despite the shame growing in her. "I've never dated anyone before."

"Ma-" Alison stopped herself short. 'This is about more than a kiss, isn't it?' She thought, making a decision. 'If that's the case...'

"OK everyone." Alison shouted, opening the back door so the people outside would hear her. "Party's over." The people who had shown up groaned, but diligently left. When everyone was gone, Madison turned to Alison.

 "Why did you do that?" Madison asked.

"Clean first." Alison started putting away chairs, her face devoid of emotion. Madison looked at her, confused, but she gave away nothing.

---------------------------------------------------

“So, Alison?”

“Yeah?”

"Why'd you stop the party?"

"Like you said, it wasn't going to work."

There was silence. Madison shyly looked over to Alison, who was frowning as she swept the floor.

"I'm sorry I didn't believe in you."

Alison didn't respond.

“What’s your New Year’s resolution?” Madison asked, attempting to quell the awkwardness now between them.

“This year’s, or last year’s?” Alison instead asked her own question.

“Since you mentioned it, both.”

“Ugh, fine. Last year, I wanted to get a B- average and become head of Photography Club.”

“And this year?”

Alison thought about it for a moment, then smiled. “B+.”

“Of course.” Madison rolled her eyes, only for a pair of arms to envelop her in a hug. She chuckled and hugged back. 

“Happy new year, sis.”

“Happy new year. Good luck with 2020.” Alison released her sister. She glanced at the clock and gave her sister a kiss on the cheek, before walking up the stairs to bed.

January 01, 2021 16:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Melanie Little
17:56 Jan 08, 2021

So I got your story in the circle, which I believe you already knew because you got mine as well. So to start with the things I liked: it was cute, and the relationship between the two sisters was quite like the relationship between myself and one of mine, so it was nice to be able to put myself in the story. The constructive part: short stories should have a raise and fall like any other story. The best way to do this is start really close to the conflict and work your way through it. I'm not sure what the conflict was, Maddie's lack of k...

Reply

Daisy Kasumi
07:58 Jan 09, 2021

Thank you for your advice :D I guess I didn't think about the conflict enough. It is true I tend to throw in a lot of unnecessary details sometimes, when I should've tidied it up a little more. I was more focused on the dynamic between the sisters while I was writing this. I'm glad you liked that part at least.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.