0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Holiday

The Bad Dream !

The complete house was burning in front of Rahul, he could clearly hear his family members screaming for help. He was unable to help them, other neighbours were holding him as he was trying to enter the house. A crying, helpless man was broken from inside. He screamed loudly in frustration and suddenly realised that it was just a horrible dream and he is on his cozy bed alone.

For a few seconds he felt relaxed then his eyes caught the clock which clanged to 6'o clock. The Indian myths that 'The day dreams are true' had brought back his fears.

Being Sunday and holiday all of his two kids were at home and he too. No office and no school today. A completely tensed man was getting ready with only a fear to be burnt.

He however managed to get ready quickly and properly. Then he landed over the soft couch to read his daily newspaper. The events of accidents and fires were printed over the newspaper so he just folded it and kept it aside. We all know a free mind is an evil mind. All fears came to him at the time of free. He just then took his laptop and made himself busy with his work of office.

Afterwards his kids came playing from the room towards him and politely said - “Oh! Dear daddy a great film had recently released and currently it's playing on cinemas. So could we also go and watch the movie ? Please! Daddy

No” the same answer came out of his mouth. “And don't come again to disturb me I'm busy at my work now and also keep a silence in the house too. It's Sunday so it never means to scream and play around whole day.”

Their mood turned off and they just went back to their room to play something peacefully over there.

He was thinking a way to make morning dream false. The thought led to another thought, then an idea stroke his mind that if they will be away from the house then the chances of that incident would be less. He said to his kids- “5’o clock will be better for watching movies or any other timing you want to suggest ?”

The sad masks turned to happy faces “Thank you, Papa. You’re the best papa!” They said. After saying this they came back into the drawing room sitting quietly beside their father to show him that they studying. So that he won't cancel the plan.

Just then he heard his wife entering the kitchen. He stopped her and said - “What would you like to order ? It has been months that we have eaten something from outside.

O wow! Then I will be getting holiday today” she said.

Yes, so enjoy the day. By the way today will be going to cinema at 5’o clock” he said.

O so you are in the mood to enjoy the holiday today. Great then.” she said.

No gas stove work, no burn.” Rahul muggled to himself and felt relaxed now.

It just took 20 mins and their order was at the door. Later they ate the delivered food from the top 5 star restaurant and watched their TV shows together.

His time passed in the thought of a pile of ways to protect them. By then it was their time to get ready for the movie. Everyone got ready he was ready like a gentle man, his kids were looking cute and his wife was in western look. They were all matching their clothes and together looked beautiful.

All of them came out but Rahul was still inside doing whatever he felt will make the house safer.

He switched off the main switch of electricity , unplugging everything, turning off the nozzle of cylinder and at last collecting everything flamable to keep them at a safer place.

Every member of his family was now able to notice some strange habit in him. But the amusement of watching movie had over lapped the strange thought of Rahul.

The bloody sun was almost there to sleep when they reached the cinema. The sky was empty with no moon.

For a famous hollywood movie there was a huge crowd but the worries crowd in Rahul's mind was much larger than the external. Two packs of popcorn and four pasteries were enough for them to enjoy the movie till the interval. They entered the place of movie play and they got the mid seat. The comfortable seat, an enjoyable environment was now able to bring out Rahul from his dream. The movie began. The comfortable seats and their eyes were on the characters in the movie.

The interval started and he didn't let anyone to be away from their seats due to his fear. Now his family was much frustrated by his behaviour but they didn't criticised because if they would do, they wouldn't be able to see the face of cinema again. They hold on their patience. After the interval ended now it was the time of the climax scene of the movie. In the climax of it the hero of the movie was standing in front of a burning house where all of his members were shouting for help.

It was exactly the same of his dream. Now he knew that the dream was about this movie and not about any real accident. Seeing this he was surprised and butterflies jingled in his stomach. A great laughter broke out of his mouth everyone who were weeping their tears off at this climax scene were staring at him as he had stolen their iphone.

The movie was finally over. Thereafter when they got out.

His daughter asked him - "Why are you behaving so weird today, Daddy ? And ya you were also laughing at a moment when everyone was crying."

He told his family about his dream and the coincidence of the movie scene. His two kids laughed a lot. His daughter said - “Oh! Poor daddy do you still believe in the myths ?”

By the way due to this myth only we got this chance to see the movie. So sometimes it’s not wrong to believe the myths.” His wife said giggling.

"Ya but it was also not a great day for my bank account." He said.

And everyone just got back to their house and slept over the night away or may be seeing their futures of tomorrow in their dreams.

What do you think the Indian myth of day dreams are true came out wrong or right ?

-Smriti kumari

September 30, 2021 01:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.