0 comments

Romance

May 24, 2007, I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a cloudy, and rainy day as the sun gleamed. He was holding me in his arms, tightly. The time was around noon and tears flowed down our faces. I would never forget this day. The day he left me. 

“Do you really have to go?” I sobbed into his arms. He held me close, stroking my hair, shushing me trying to calm me down. Silence rang in our ears and the only thing you could hear were the tear drops falling down, dripping onto the floor. 

“Naomi, my love, it's for the best,” he quietly whispered into my ear. More tears swelled up in my eyes.

“I know,” I whispered back, my voice cracking with each letter. “I just wish you could take me with you.”

For the longest time we both stood there in each other's arms not saying a word until his manager spoke up.

“Leo we need to go, our flight leaves in an hour,” Leo sighed and let go of me. He stared at me with the saddest eyes I’ve ever seen. Suddenly he grabbed my hips and lifted me up, kissing me more passionately than he ever had before, for the final time. I held him tight one last time until he broke the kiss and looked me at me deep in the eyes.

“I’ll wait for you, as long as it takes,” he murmured. I smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

“I’ll be here waiting,” I responded with a murmur. He smiled and put me down and started to head to the limo waiting for him. His manager opened the door and with one last look, he smiled then got in the limo as it drove off. As soon as he left I broke down. I had never felt like this. Like my heart was empty, aching for him to come back. It felt like I couldn't breath. It felt like I was broken glass, shattered beyond repair. It felt like I was in all this pain, and this pain was my fault. Yes, he left me but I let him. He had to follow his dreams, this record deal was probably the best thing to ever happen to him. How could I keep him from his dreams? I wipe my tears, take a deep breath to compose myself, to try to stop the pain inside my head and heart. But little did I know what would happen many years later.


~


August 13,2020- My alarm screamed in my ears, ringing through my head. I groan as I hit the snooze button. 

“Please let me sleep,” I mumbled to myself. I drag myself out of bed as I try to prepare for the day. First day of the job. The sun peeked through the curtains filling the room with pure light. I head over to my closet and start going through my clothes, looking through everything I own wondering how I bought so much and don't like any of it until I find the perfect outfit. It was a beautiful yet professional dress. It was a long sleeve v-neck dress that went down to my knees. I slide the dress on and add a black belt to pull it off. I run over to my bathroom and brush out my hair. I quickly start to put it into a long classy french braid. I quickly put on some makeup and gather my stuff before I rush out the door. My heart starts beating fast. I need to make a good impression. As I get into my ford and turn on the car, the radio turns on. A song was just ending. 

“And that was Skylar’s new single, Star,” the radio announced. I start to back out of the driveway as the radio keeps talking. 

“Skylar’s new single has been a really big hit this week with over 1 million records sold!” the radio continued. I change the station to something else and it starts playing Skylar’s song of Star. Skylar was one of my favorite artists and he was cute. That is what makes me so excited as I am his new manager! My heart beats as I realize I get to one of my idols. As I start to pull into the studio my heart continues to race. I step out of my car and study my surroundings. The studio had its logo of a big star, after all it is called Star Studios. The outside was brick and was painted a pearl white. Then I start to walk inside and proceed to check in.

“How can I help you?” the secretary questioned with a wide smile. 

“I would like to check in, I’m Skylar’s new manager, Naomi King?” I responded. The secretary looked at her computer then back at me.

“Oh yes he’s waiting for you in Room 452,” she assured me. I nodded and thanked her as I walked down the hall. When I wandered down the hall I noticed that the walls were a light purple with music notes on the walls. I kept walking till I found Room 452. As I approached the room I began to hear a voice, Skylar’s voice. I peeked into the room to see him.

“I think of you everyday, from sunup to sun down, I just wish you were still around. But you are still in my heart, you are my everything, my star,” he sung. I smile as I hear his voice singing his new song. I knock on the door and he then immediately turns to me with a surprising look on his face. 

“Oh hello!” he exclaimed happily. “You must be my new manager!”

“Yes I am!” I beamed with a mix of nervous and excitement in my voice.

“Nice to meet you,” he smiled. 

“It's nice to meet you too!” I beamed again. “You sound really good.”

“Thank you, I was just practicing,” he bubbled. “So would you like me to give you a tour?”

“Sure!” I piped. His deep blue ocean eyes seemed to smile at me as he grabbed my hand, making me blush. Then he proceeded to show me around. He began with showing me one of the many practicing rooms, some of the recording rooms, and then the band rooms. He showed me multiple other rooms but I couldn’t take my eyes off his eyes. The whole world just seemed to fade when I looked into those magical eyes as if he were putting me into trance.

“And that's about it,” he cheered, snapping me back to reality. I couldn’t help but smile, he just had that effect on me.

“Thanks for showing me around,” I thanked him.

“Of course!” he babbled. I looked at him closely and realized he was….blushing? No that couldn’t be it.

“Hey I’m just a little curious, is Skylar your real name? Or is it just a stage name?” I quizzed trying to change the subject. I looked him up and down seemed to realize Skylar looked a bit familiar.

“Yes it is a stage name, I chose Skylar because it reminds me of the sky. I used to have a…,” he paused and sighed. 

“Nevermind, it's just the sky has a special meaning in my heart,” he finished with a hint of sadness in his voice. A little giggle slipped out of me. 

“Ya the sky has a special meaning to me too, especially the night sky, the stars especially have a special meaning in my life,” I replied softly. A smile appeared on my face as it brought back memories. Memories of Leo. When we dated he called me Star and I would call him Sky because the night was the most magical time. My heart began to ache as the memories flooded my brain. 

“You remind me of someone,” Skylar chuckled. I look up at him and stare him deep in the eyes.

“Who?” I asked quietly. He sighed. 

“Her name was Naomi, she was my girlfriend when I was in high school. She had the sweetest smile, and the most adorablest laugh. I loved playing with and braiding her dirty ash blonde hair and looking into deep brown eyes that looked just like honey. Whenever she was in the sun her eyes seemed to have this beautiful sparkle. She was the sweetest, most generous person you’ll ever meet! She was my world! No matter how long I'd known her for every time I saw her, my heart would flutter. Everytime. She was the spitting image of perfection. Sometimes we would sneak out at night and look up at the night sky and stare at the stars, pointing out every constellation we saw! We even had this silly thing, where I would call her Star and she would Sky. We were high school sweethearts but then… my first record deal came up and they expected me to be in Los Angeles as soon as I could. I told Naomi right away. She always encouraged me to follow my dreams and when she found out her face lit up. Even though she knew I would leave her she told me to gp. She told me this was the offer of a lifetime and she wouldn’t forgive me if I didn’t follow my dream. The last day I saw her, was one of the best and worst days of my life. I miss her with all of my heart and not a day goes by where she doesn't cross my mind. It's been 13 years and no girl compares to her. I’m so sorry I keep rambling, I just feel like you’re someone I can trust,” he explained as he turned to me and smiled. I look at him petrified. This couldn’t be happening. 

“Is-Is-Is you’re real name Leo Lopez,” I stuttered with fear in my voice. He looked at me very confused and shocked. 

“Y-yes, how do you know? No one knows but my family,” he questioned me. I sighed. So it was true.

“Leo, m-my name is Naomi King,” I hesitated with fear. Skylar, I mean, Leo looked at me first with a look of shock and confusion with huge eyes, the same eyes he gave me when he left me. Tears filled up in his eyes.

“Naomi, is it really you?” he cried. I nodded as tears started to come into my eyes. 

“I missed you so much,” he cried as he ran over to me and immediately picked me up, kissing me passionately. The more he kissed me the more passionate he got like it was the thing he desired most in the world. He gently set me down and looked me directly in the eyes.

“Never leave me again,” he murmured. I slowly smiled and kissed him again. 

“Never again,” I whispered. The rest of the night we spent talking and making out, and we even went back to his place. The next morning I woke up in his silky silvery bed. The blankets were so soft, along with his warm hoodie he gave me. Memories came flooding back making me smile. I get out of bed and look out at the wonderful view from his apartment. Suddenly a warm embrace came from behind making me smile and giggle.

“Good morning, beautiful,” he soothed, kissing my head as he started to brush his fingers through my hair. I chuckled and turned around and kissed him on the cheek. 

“I got us breakfast,” he whispered. I squealed in excitement as he laughed. He picked me up and brought me to the kitchen where a box of donuts lay. 

“Chocolate glazed, you’re favorite,” he remarked.

“You remembered!” I squealed. He smiled and kissed me again then grabbing a donut and feeding me. The rest of the morning was amazing with us talking, kissing, then talking some more and then even more kissing. I never felt happier. Soon it was around noon, and I realized I needed to go.

“Hey Naomi, I know it's only been a day since we’ve seen each other but I just wanted to ask, do you want to be my girlfriend again?” he hesitated as he asked me. 

“Yes!” I screamed. Oops! “Leo, yes.” He smiled again and kissed me again. 

“Hey I know its a bad time but I need to get home. I have plans to meet a friend for lunch,” I added. He nodded. I smiled and kissed him on the cheeks. 

“Do you know where my clothes are?” I questioned him. 

“Ya, there in the corner on the chair,” he responded. I smiled and quickly ran to change. I put on my pants and bra but decided I would keep his hoodie. I giggled. The rest of the day was gone in a blur. I met up with my friend and went home. Weeks passed by as we toured the country and he performed at his concerts. We hid our relationship because we both decided that we didn’t want the media finding out about us yet. One morning I realized that I had been nauseous, and under the weather lately. I was worried I was getting sick and on tour getting sick was not an option so I scheduled a doctors appointment. 

“Hello, Naomi King?” the doctor asked. 

“Yes that is me,” I replied. 

“I would like to inform you aren’t sick,” he replied. 

“Are you sure? I want to be sure.”

“Yes I’m sure, and I’d like to congratulate you.”

“What? Why?”

“Ms. King, you’re pregnant,” those words rang in my ears. Fear came over me as I started to go into a cold sweat. The whole room froze. I could feel my heart beating out of my chest and my breathing getting deeper and faster. Never in my life had I been this scared; it felt like my whole world was crashing down. How could I be pregnant? We had been careful! How could this be?

“You must be joking, I can’t be pregnant,” I responded. 

“Miss, I’m sure you are pregnant,” he responded very seriously. My heart skipped a beat. Is this real? How was I going to tell Leo? I took deep breaths and thanked the doctor and quickly got out of there. I quickly headed to Walgreens, I had to be sure. I bought a pregnancy test and took it home. I waited for the results for a minute, the longest minute of my life. But deep down I had a feeling, a feeling that made me fear for my life. After one minute I looked at the pregnancy test. My heart began to race. Two lines showed on the pregnancy test. Tears swelled up in my eyes. Fear shook me but deep down part of me was happy. I had a part of Leo inside me but what would Leo think about this? We never really talked about kids. As my thoughts were consuming me I heard a door open from downstairs.

“Honey I’m home!” Leo exclaimed. I sighed. My whole body was shaking. I immediately take the pregnancy test and hide it behind my back. Leo’s foot steps were heading quickly up the stairs and I had no time to hide the test. 

“Hey baby, how was your day?” Leo asked me. 

“I-I-Its was good,” I trembled. 

“Honey you’re shaking, what's wrong?” he asked me worriedly. I was feeling so overwhelmed when clink! Oh no!

“What’s this?” he asked as he was about to pick it up. Oh no! He was going to see the test!

“No!” I screamed. He jumped back, putting his attention back on me. 

“Star, what’s wrong?” he asked me again. He put his hand on my shoulder but I stepped back. I stood there in a cold sweat with my body trembling.

“Honey, you’re scaring me,” he spoke in a deep low voice. 

“I-I’m pregnant,” I murmured. 

“What's that?” he asked. 

“I’m pregnant!” I scream as tears pour out of my eyes. I broke down. When I look up Leo’s looking at me in shock. I tried to look in his eyes but I couldn’t see anything through my tears.

“A-Are you serious?” he asked quietly. 

“Y-Yes,” my voice cracks. “Please don’t hate me!” Leo looked at me with his mouth slightly opened as if he were speechless. But then he smiled. 

“Honey, how could I ever hate you,” Leo whispered to me and kissed me. 

“We will get through this, you and me,” Leo lifted my chin and stared deeply into my eyes. 

“You’re not alone, Star. Together we can do anything,” he whispered, sobbing happy tears making me chuckle. 

“I love you, sky,” as I wrap my arms tight around him. He squeezes me back and kisses my head. 

“I love you to my little star.”

My life’s a mess right now, but I know as long as I have Leo by my side, everything will be alright. Because he is my love and I am his. I am his and he is mine and in the end it's him and I. He is my world, my everything, my sky, and as long as he is here with me, nothing could bring me down! And because of him I now know what true love is. He is my true love.


August 14, 2020 05:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.