Inonceivable Intelligence - Lucy Hughes

Submitted into Contest #52 in response to: You thought he was dead, but there he is, right in front of you on the street, smiling at you.... view prompt

4 comments

Mystery

Chapter 1

The wind wildly whipped my hair across my face, as I made my way to the car park. I felt a chill and wrapped my black scarf tighter around my neck. It’d been quite warm and sunny, surprisingly for a winter’s day. It was a Friday evening in November, the sky already dark and dotted with shining stars. With the unrelenting wind threatening to make my eyes water, I picked up my pace. I foraged in my leather handbag for my car keys. Clasping them tightly and pulling them out of the bag, I shuffled along to my car, unlocking it with the fob. I opened the door and slid into the leather seat. Turning the engine on and putting the heaters on full blast, I put the car into reverse. I looked at my mirrors and my rear view mirror and moved off, exiting the car park and turning right into the pitch black night. 

I travelled along, heaters on, radio on. Slowing down, I stopped at the red traffic lights. Tapping my finger rhythmically on the steering wheel, I waited patiently for the light to change to green. The street was eerily quiet. No cars in sight. I guess everyone else had finished work early, as it was a Friday, and had rushed home. I always stayed late on Fridays. The traffic would be unbearable. I stared absentmindedly at the light, wishing it to turn to green, when I heard a loud bang and felt something hit my car. I let out a yelp. Looking into the rear view mirror, I saw a shadowy figure and hands splayed out across the back of my car. I scrambled for my glove box, pulling out a small handgun. Gripping the gun in my trembling hands, I breathed quickly, my heart pounding. I looked again into the rear view mirror. The figure had gone. I turned around, looking out the back window. Nothing. Not even a car waiting behind me. I sighed relieved. Praying that the light had turned to green, I faced the front. The colour I saw wasn't green. It wasn’t red nor amber either. It was blue. I screamed. There, staring at me, were piercing blue eyes. A pale face, framed by coal-coloured, wavy hair stood directly in front of me. Shaking, quaking, I gawped. My gun dropped simultaneously with my jaw. The man flashed a white smile. No. Way. 

My eyes fixed on the man in front of me, my trembling hand searched for my gun and placed it back into the glove box. I switched the radio off and rolled my window down tentatively. 

“Haven’t you missed me?” I heard the voice shout cockily.

“Impossible.” I murmured to myself, the man marching over to the window.

“You should see your face!” He continued. “You look like you've seen a ghost!” 

“Aren’t I looking at a ghost?” I asked, still in disbelief, a hint of seriousness to my question. My mind couldn’t process it. I couldn’t believe it. I was staring at him. “I thought you were dead, Elmer! I’m pretty sure I saw you die!” I exclaimed, incredulously and angrily. 

“Not yet,” he said with a wink, “Let me in. I’m freezing.” I unlocked the car as he walked around the back of the car and toward the passenger door. Slipping into the seat, I examined him closely. I still wasn’t one hundred percent sure if I was looking at a ghost or not. I stared intently, before he interrupted my thoughts.

“The light’s on green… I know I haven’t been around here for a long time, but if I remember correctly, that means go.” He said condescendingly. I narrowed my eyes before moving the car forward. We drove in silence for a few seconds, before I asked.

“So, how long have you ‘not been around civilisation’ for? Where have you been?” From the corner of my eye, I could see him shuffling in his seat, clearly uncomfortable. 

“You know, here and there. Travelling.” He said unconvincingly.

“Travelling? For 8 years? Where did you go, the moon?” I faced him as he rolled his eyes, not giving a response. 

“Are you not going to give me any answers?” I asked, slightly irritated, “I’m pretty sure I saw you get shot 8 years ago!”

“Well what do you want to know?” He asked innocently.

“Everything!” I seethed. “All the events that happened from when you got shot up until now, when you banged on my car! Why did you do that? I almost peed myself!” He chuckled lowly as I glared at him. 

“OK, I’ll answer your questions, but not while you're driving. I don’t want you to crash the car and I end up dead...for real this time!” I sighed heavily, speeding off toward my house. 

Chapter 2

I parked in the drive and made my way up to the porch, reaching for my keys. Unlocking and opening the door, I strode into the kitchen, Elmer following. I switched on the light and dropped my keys on the table, making my way over to the fridge. I opened the door and reached for a bottle of lemonade, flinging one at Elmer who’d slid into a chair around the table. Taking a seat opposite him, I opened my bottle and swigged. 

“So, now will you answer my questions?” I asked sarcastically. “Where have you been?” 

Elmer sighed, glanced at me, at the floor and back at me. 

“Hiding.” I rolled my eyes. He frowned. “What? It’s the truth. I’ve been hiding.”

I raised an eyebrow sceptically.

“OK, who’ve you been hiding from?” I asked, unconvinced.

“Malorie.” He stated. I stared at him in amusement.

“Malorie…? Malorie as in your old boss and my current boss, Malorie?” He nodded silently. I scoffed loudly. 

“Oh, come off it! Stop messing around.”

“Elaina, I’m serious!”

“No way.” I said, shaking my head.

“It’s the truth.” He spoke earnestly. I narrowed my eyes, still sceptical. 

“Why, then? Why’ve you been hiding from Malorie?” I asked, feeling a smile creeping to my mouth. 

“You won’t understand. It’s too complicated. I’ll have to start from the start.”

“Go on then. Start from the start. I have allll night.” I said patronisingly, still unsure if I should take him seriously. He sighed shakily. 

“OK, so…”

8 years earlier (Elmer’s Point of View)

Walking hurriedly into the main office, I avoided eye-contact with my boss, Malorie, and took a seat at the long, rectangular table, next to Elaina. I felt her roll her eyes.

“You’re late, again!” She hissed. 

“I’m sorry,” I whispered, “I have something I need to tell you...”

“Agent Carson, it’s so good that you finally decided to join us. Tell us, have you got the information?” A woman’s voice boomed.

“I have indeed.” I spoke confidently, rising out of my seat and making my way toward the laptop and projector. Plugging in my harddrive, I clicked on a file, it’s contents displayed for all to see.

“So, from the surveillance Elaina and myself did on the Warren Mansion, we managed to get information on the mansion’s layout, the routine of the patrolling guards, and Mr. Warren himself.” Flipping to the next picture, I showed my colleagues a picture of a large man entering a dark Range Rover.

“Every Wednesday and Saturday evening, Mr. Warren travels to his warehouse on Delian Street. We followed him there one night and saw everything. All the drugs, guns, ammo crates, large cargo boxes. Everything.” I paused, as Elaina made her way up to me.

“We don’t know if he’s planning on moving it,” she began, “but we have enough here for an arrest. We have a guy who’s infiltrated their organisation. He should let us know within the next few days if they are planning to ship it overseas or just move it to another warehouse. Whatever he does with it, we’ll know.” She finished. I unplugged the hard drive and made my way back to my seat.

“Ok then, that’s all for today. You’re all dismissed.” Malorie spoke, staring directly at me.

“That went well,” I said turning to Elaina, a wide grin on my face. She raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah... Like it always does?” She said confused, sliding some papers into her briefcase and heading for the door.

“Elaina, wait, I nee-” I started, before I was interrupted by Malorie.

“Agent Carson, a word.” She demanded.

“You’re in for it now!” Elaina mocked in a sing-song voice.

I stood up from my chair and made my way over to Malorie. She waited until the room was empty.

“So, congratulations. That must’ve been some excellent surveillance work judging by the information you gained. You weren’t compromised at all?” She asked, trying to sound uninterested. 

“No, Ma’am. Everything went smoothly.” I replied.

“Great…” She said, a tone in her voice I couldn't quite recognise. “So, tell me. How has it been working with Elaina?” A little thrown by the question, I replied slowly.

“Good, I guess. She makes an excellent partner.” I said, observing her expression. There wasn't one.

“Well, she’s not really your partner. You’re more like her supervisor. I mean, you were in charge of the missions weren’t you.” She said, almost accusingly.

“Well, yeah. Ma’am? Have I done something wrong?” I was confused. She turned away.

“Do you tell her everything?” I frowned. She’d avoided my question.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t seem to understand the question.” 

“I mean, do you tell her everything that goes on within the mission. Everything you realise, everything that happens, everything you do? Do you share all the information with her?” She quizzed intensely. 

“Uh, I guess only everything I tell you and the rest of the team.” I said innocently. 

“OK. Well, I want you to stop. As a matter of fact, stop telling anyone anything. And stop your surveillance. Erase what you’ve found or hand it over to me. The mission is no longer active.” I stared silently for a few minutes.

“Ma’am… I do…” I stammered.

“In fact, hand me the harddrive now. I know that you know… I know what you’ve discovered...Have you told her? Does Elaina know?” She questioned me, almost hysterical.

“I d-don’t… I don’t know what you mean…” I stuttered. I gulped. I knew exactly what she meant. 

The surveillance mission Elaina and I had was quite straightforward. Go to the Warden Mansion and gain as much information as possible. We’d been staking the mansion out when Elaina thought it’d be a good idea to try and make our way inside. I thought she’d gone mad and told her no, but she was adamant that we should. After much deliberation, we agreed that only I would go in. It would be best if only one of us were compromised. I’d snuck into the open garage, and peeked through a window. I was either looking at the living room or hallway, I wasn’t quite sure. I went to see if the door that joined the room and the garage was open. It was locked, so I pried the window open, trying to find a way inside. Just as I’d got it wide enough, Edward Warren, the man we’d been sent to gather intel on, entered the room, and another person followed. Someone I couldn’t quite make out. I could hear them chatting though, in hushed voices. The woman’s voice vaguely familiar. They spoke of the mafia, the government’s some kind of ‘secret division’ and an intelligence agency. They talked about selling guns to terrorists, and how the agency would help them stay out of reach from the government and so on. Reaching for my camcorder, I filmed the whole thing. The only problem was that her back was turned to me. I remember thinking to myself, ‘please, please, would you just turn around!’ and it’s as if I’d said it out loud, as the woman turned her body and went to sit in a red armchair, facing my direction. I couldn’t believe who I saw. I was in shock. It was Malorie. My boss Malorie. The one who’d sent me on the mission! I staggered back suddenly and in doing so I dropped the camcorder. It smashed into pieces and alerted my position. Scooping the memory card off the floor I bolted. A wailing alarm sounded and I could hear the shouts of guards and dogs barking. I ran for my life, grabbing Elainas’s arm as I shot past her. We reached the car and I sped off into the night.

“What happened? Did you hear anything?” Elaina had asked.

“No.” I’d lied. I knew I couldn't involve her.

“You know exactly what I mean!” she bellowed, her expression wild. Taking a few deep breaths, she then said calmly. “I know what you saw. I know you recorded it. So if you just give me that hard drive and give me the memory card… Everything will be fine.”

“If I don’t choose to do that? If I choose to go to the police?” I asked, almost threateningly. 

“That would not be a wise decision, Elmer. Mr. Warren and I would prefer that the information wouldn’t go public. So, I’m telling you again. Terminate your mission, give me the hard drive and memory card, and don't ever speak of this to anyone. Especially not Elaina.”

“OK. I won’t. I promise.” But I knew that wasn’t a promise I was going to keep.

Chapter 3

The present (Elaina’s POV)

I collapsed into my chair, almost knocking the glass bottle off the table. I shook my head, unable to believe what I’d heard.

“Wow…” Is all I could manage.

“Yeah, I know.” He murmured.

“You kept that from me? All this time?” I asked, hurt. Deep down I knew it was for my sake. I shook my head again. “But, that still doesn’t explain why you went missing, how you were shot on the mission. Please, tell me.”

Taking a deep breath, he continued.

8 years earlier (Elmer’s POV)

Around a week after the...altercation with Malorie, me and Elaina were sent on a new mission. We were trying to get evidence that a prominent businessman was selling drugs or guns or something like that. Malorie informed us that she would be joining us, explaining that she was required to take a few days to work in the field every few months. I knew she just wanted to keep an eye on me. We were at the man’s private airstrip, searching a small hangar for anything incriminating. Malorie and I were searching inside, whilst Elaina searched outside. Malorie approached me.

“So, you haven’t told anyone about... you know.” I shook my head softly. “Good…” She said. I felt like she didn’t believe me. I searched further but there didn’t seem to be anything there. Planning to leave the hangar, we were suddenly confronted with the businessman’s henchman. Elaina was still outside and unaware of the events unfolding. I turned to Malorie, asking what we should do, if she had a plan. She smiled slyly. The henchmen made their way up to us, guns in hand, pointing only at me. I knew what was happening. She’d betrayed us. This wasn’t ‘some businessman’s’ hangar. It was Edward Warren’s.

“I’m sorry, Elmer. I just can’t have you running around the place with the information you have. You’re too unpredictable. Too untrustworthy.” She spoke. I exploded with anger. 

“Me? Untrustworthy? Are you serious or just deranged?” I shouted. Reaching for her gun and pointing it at me, she smiled.

“Pick one.” She clicked the safety off. Closing my eyes, I heard the gunshot. A sudden burning pain shot through my stomach. I yelled out in pain and frustration. I can’t believe she's going to get away with this. I can’t believe I'm going to die… Falling to my knees, I pressed my trembling hand against my wound, the blood pouring out. I felt light-headed. I felt the colour drain from my face. Collapsing to the floor, I looked up, barely able to see. I saw Malorie bent over me, laughing. I heard two more gunshots. Rolling my head to the side, I saw Elaina running toward me. I closed my eyes but my ears were still functioning, barely. The conversation was muffled.

“Elmer! Malorie, what happened!” Elaina shouted. I heard Malorie sob falsely.

“Them! They came out of nowhere! I shot them both, but not before they shot Elmer.” I saw Elaina reach down to me, but she was pulled back by Malorie.

“We have to go!”

“No! We can’t leave him here, he’ll die!”

“We can’t stay. Come on.” Malorie dragged an inconsolable Elaina away. I closed my eyes, succumbing to the darkness. 

Present (Elaina’s POV)

Again, my words failed me. I really, truly, couldn’t believe it. I could feel myself trembling. I was full of rage, confusion, disbelief and sadness. Elmer had to carry that around with him for all those years. Without telling a soul. I shook my head in pity.

“I’m so sorry.” I said, embracing him, tears stinging my eyes.

“Yeah, so, that’s that.” He sighed nonchalantly. 

“I just… How did you escape?”

“Well, the gunmen were dead and you were gone, so I was alone. I managed to find a little strength from somewhere I guess. I stumbled to their car and got out of there. Quite brave and incredible of me, actually…” He said smugly. I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, sure. But where have you been the past 8 years?”

“Oh, well travelling. I didn’t lie to you. Honestly, it was the perfect time. I had no responsibilities. I just chilled.” I rolled my eyes, a grin on my face.

“Typical you. But, why have you only appeared now?” He smiled slowly. I knew where this was going.

“Oh no, Elmer. No!” He nodded his head slowly, eyes widening in excitement. 

“Yes. Oh yes. Time. For. Revenge!”

July 27, 2020 21:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Debbie Teague
23:28 Aug 06, 2020

Lucy, I encourage you to keep writing and keep submitting. You've got a natural talent. Write from the heart and write for you, the rest will flow. Well done.

Reply

Louise Hughes
17:49 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brittany Gillen
20:37 Aug 01, 2020

Lucy - Thank you for sharing your story. Your writing is very clear, and I followed the story well. You have very good ideas, and you ended your moment in time well. My feedback would be that the shifting POV was a bit awkward. The prompt was pushing you to use a POV of someone other than the returned person so that you could explore how the reversal shows a new side of your main character (Elaina) - check out the contest description. You've got this. Keep writing!

Reply

Louise Hughes
21:29 Aug 05, 2020

Thank you for your feedback, very useful to me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.