9 comments

Friendship

Each country has its geniuses and its gifted, eyes widely open to detect them as rare pearls. This phenomenon begins when parents watch their children closely, hoping that they have given birth to a new Albert Einstein or Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. In general, parents' sensors for measuring so-called intelligence provide erroneous outcomes when it comes to their children. Then comes the time of school where the teachers think they are smarter than any other human being. But sometimes they are faced with the fact, even if it upsets them, that some of these kids are not like the rest of their classmates and answer their questions before they are finished. Professors who recognize this are also philosophers like Berman who said of Hawking during an oral exam at the University of Oxford "And of course the jury members were smart enough to realize they were talking to someone smarter than the most of them". Then, after parental consent obtained by flattering their boundless pride, government institutions take charge of the child prodigies and provide cozy conditions for the genius to shape them to give the best of them. You're right, let's stop talking about Jarod in the action drama TV series "The Pretender".

Fortunately, most of gifted children escape the nets of this hellish machine as they grow-up, they discover their skills on their own, develop and shape them according to their areas of interest to achieve a professional goal they have set for themselves. This was the case with two friends and classmates in high school, one gifted with athletic skills, a big smile, dating skills, sophisticated techniques of cheating on exams and limitless bragging, the other gifted with the so-called "Big Five traits”: extraversion, neuroticism, agreeableness, conscientiousness and openness. Seemingly it is proven that the five great traits are the signs of geniuses. These two teenagers, even if they are inseparable, neither have learned skills from each other, they form an airtight combination for each other.

This description relates to the interior of this pair and is not available for outside observers. However, from the outside they form an entangled system as a quantum system so if someone is trying to get an idea of who is who, even they were far from each other, the information collapses into one and one truth is that these two are perfect and they have the same Gift of God: using a common mortal description they both are intelligent, caring and nice. They didn't agree to appear like this, it happened naturally, everyone finds what they are looking for, they adore each other and understand each other as twins. There is no copyright or royalty deal between them, naturally sometimes one embeds the skills or borrows the behavior of the other without appropriating them because each of them sticks to his characters.

Two years went by, the final year of high school has started, and it's time to choose a college to enroll in. The teens are once again caught in the government's selection nets and this time they realize the matter of this last chance and there was no loophole from this custom. Renowned universities organize high level contests to accept students in their institutes. To be more attractive, they even offer scholarships to students who passed the competition with the highest score. Despite the pressure exerted by the teachers who talk about the subject from the morning to the afternoon, the boy with the five big traits is far from being afraid because he had confidence in his talent, no more than the big smile boy for whom all of these competitions are games designed to distract people from real life.

Our heroes still have two months to compete for one of the best colleges in the country. They worked hard together where the Big Smile relied on the perfect organization and selflessness of the Big Five boy to fill in his gaps and gain all the knowledge needed to pass the exam. There are three days left until D-Day and an unexpected misfortune has fallen on the shoulders of the Big Five, his mother passed away. His neuroticism dragged him into a depression and a chaos he had never experienced. His friend stayed with him 24/7 even without leaving him for a second. He encouraged him by repeating "Please do it for me, I need you, to pass this exam and then you will take all the time you need to be sad for the rest of your life "

Three long hours of hellish exams, five minutes from the end, the Big Five boy left the exam room, ripped his exam copy into small pieces, and threw it in the trash. The Big Smile boy hurried to hand his work over to one of the supervisors and followed his friend outside.

“I don't need your reproaches, I did it for you, this exam was nothing compared to what I lost three days ago “.,

 “Yes, I know my friend and I will never forget what you did for me, let's have a drink, it will be my treat”,

 Two days after, they traveled together to take a few days for a summer vacation on a coast. Thanks to the dating skills of the big smile, the Big Five fell in love with a gorgeous girl and started to come back and relish life. The trip went well the two friends were delighted. On his way home, the Big Five found a letter from the university that began:

Dear Sir,

We are pleased to ...... In addition, our institute offers you a scholarship of amount $20,000.

…..

sincerely yours

Was it the hand of God, the mother’s Angel, the strength of friendship or all that? Did he deserve it? The Big Smile told him "you deserve it my friend make your way and don't look back".

Should he accept it as fate? Could this be a burden for him in the future? What would you do in this kind of situation? Help him make a decision!


November 23, 2021 18:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
06:30 Dec 12, 2021

This was a great read Boutat!! Very well done!! :) :)

Reply

Boutat Driss
09:25 Dec 13, 2021

Thank you so much dear Daniel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ruth Porritt
07:57 Nov 30, 2021

Hello Boutat, I think he should accept it as the hand of fate. I enjoyed all of the philosophical questions raised by your story. Thanks, and catch you later, Ruth

Reply

Boutat Driss
10:50 Nov 30, 2021

Dear Ruth, Thank you very much your comment made me happy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
06:52 Nov 26, 2021

This was interesting to read.

Reply

Boutat Driss
09:51 Nov 26, 2021

a lot of thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nouh Boutat
19:36 Nov 25, 2021

Nice story..it reminds me small stories I was reading in hight school 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Karen Xoxoxo
21:31 Nov 24, 2021

Nice work! Thanks for commenting on my story as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jie Liu
19:04 Nov 23, 2021

👍👍👍👍👍

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.