The Fall of Ember Kingdom The Return of Sesra: Side Story Max and Mysterious Stella Fairy.

Submitted into Contest #35 in response to: Write a story that takes place at a spring dance.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Max grumbled as he sat across the young lady named Tulip. She wore a nice violet dress and her makeup was done flawlessly. If it weren't for the circumstances of their meeting he might have actually felt something for her but as her light brown eyes drifted to the window, he was pretty sure she had someone else on her mind. He felt as though he was stealing someone's girl.




"So, have any good stories?" He tried. She gave him a wry smile. 




"Not really." She answered respectfully.




"You're not into this either are you...?" He asked. Tulip startled at that when there was a tapping on glass and everyone looked to the King's Throne where King Egan held a glass, Prince Elias next to him.




"Thank you all so much for coming to spend another Spring Gala with us! After the dinner portion we will be putting on our mask as this is a Masquerade Spring Gala. Dance to your heart's content and don't be afraid to mix it up. In a few months Elias will choose his Honor Guard! Let's celebrate with him tonight!" The Gala erupted with cheers. Max turned his head and smiled at Tulip. 


"Yeah, I'm not into this either." He said truthfully.


"Oh thank God! Father had made me sign a paper, got me dressed up and makeup by high budget artists all because he made a deal with your grandad." 


"Who's the lucky guy?" Max asked. Tulip turn a slight pink. 


"Okay but if I tell you, you have to do the same." She said before breathing in. "His name is Richard. I call him Ric. Right now he's an Ember Knight. He's hoping to be chosen as one of Prince Elias's Honor Guard. Now, your turn." She demanded of him. Max chuckled. 


"I'm sorry for the lameness of it but I don't have anyone like that. I've been looking into being the Castle's Head librarian. I can only imagine the kinds of books they may have." He said. While talking they ate and smiled. Max snuck a peak at his grandfather and family who had been seated thankfully far enough he couldn't outright eavesdrop on them. Their plates were taken away as King Egan rang a bell. 


"Time to slip into the masses and as ordered Mix it up a bit." Max said and Tulip laughed. They picked up their masks, a pale white blue with darker tints to it, hers the same shade of her dress only with feathers and glitter. They wrapped their arms around one another and walked to the dancefloor for the traditional Ember Waltz. The dancing went on for a while every few turns switching partners with the person on your right. Soon Tulip was swept away by a guy and she smiled at Max. He guessed he was Ric. 


In his arms in place of Tulip was a girl in a deep orange dress with red flowers on it. Her perfume was intoxicating to Max and her like black hair held a kinegisi flower hairpin in her hair. Her eyes were a deep green.


"Hello there, My name is Maximillion Serving. Yours?" He managed to say. 


"Stella Fairy." 


"Fairy? As in Fairyside Orphanage?" He asked her.


"Yeah, my mom told the Sitter on duty that she was being chased and she needed to get me to safety. Her only option at the point of my birth was to give me to the orphanage. When the Sitter asked who she was, all she answered was she'd been separated from her husband and child and her sister had been murdered. She gave me a kiss goodbye and fled to a place called Mystical Needs. I've tried finding it multiple times, but I can't seem to. So now, I'm a Fairy. Heh get it?" She giggled. 


Max twirled her around, dipping her low. "How do you smile… Miss. Fairy?"


"My you are straight to the point, aren't you?"she asked him. 


"Well," he spun them around then her to his left, pulling her back in, "you've made me curious… My Fairy."


He could have sworn she turned a dark red.


"Well now, though you are the smoothest guy I've come across, tell Mr. Serving what do you do?" 


A bell ring and Max and Stella looked up. The dancefloor had been cleared for them. Everyone had been watching their hushed conversation. 


"Well done children. Your names if you please." King Egan had said.


Max gently placed her on her feet before bowing at the waist. "Maximillion Serving, Your Grace."


"Stella Fairy, Your Highness." 


"Young Serving and Miss Fairy, I haven't seen a waltz like that since my days in the Forest with the Elves. In fact all of my Royal Guards are half Elf. Basically I made friends with Elves, along with Lord Yeter'el King of Creatures."


"Charmed to meet you two lovelies. Girl, your eyes…" a voice said. Max turned his head to see an eight foot tall man with silky black hair with a red streak through it. His blue eyes were piercing. 


"I thank you for the dance Maximillion. However I have to get back, my friend is going to get off work soon. My King. King of Creatures." Stella quickly left the ballroom and Max looked after her.


"You're not going after her boy?"


"I'm not sure if I should," Max responded.


"Why's that child?" King Egan asked.


"She's piqued my interest." He answered.


"I like your vocabulary." Young Prince Elias said suddenly. 


"What?" Max asked immediately.


"Let's walk man." Elias put his goblet down and walked outside onto the veranda that had stone stairs leading into the gardens.


💚


Stella Fairy had made it back to her apartment in record time. She hadn't expected to meet such an attractive firecracker of a man. Her heart was pounding in her chest. 


"I knew you were girly." Someone laughed and she saw her friends sitting on the couch. 


"The hell are you doing here guys?" She huffed taking off her heels throwing them to the corner next to the door. 


"You missed our Monster Movie Bash. So we all decided to crash here until you got home." Heather said.


"Hey sissy how are you doing?" Stella asked as she took off her mask and put it on her counter with her keys. 


"What happened? You're red." Heather asked.


"I went to the Gala not really expecting anything but some food and dancing but I ran into a guy who… is a very smooth talker. I'm not sure how to proceed with this."


"What did he say?" Morticia asked.


"He said I had made him curious. Then called me His Fairy." 


"He knows you're from Fairyside Orphanage and still wants to be with you?" Heather asked.


"Like he said, I had piqued his interest and made him curious. I get the feeling the life of a noble has become a bit robotic because when I landed in his arms for the traditional Ember Kingdom Waltz King Egan had the dancefloor cleared for us. Then the King of Creatures showed up and started to comment on my eyes. I left before that could be answered." 


"Why's that Stella?" Sally asked.


"Because when I was dropped off at the orphanage my mother had one cautionary thing to ask of Sitter Ann. She asked her to tell me if anyone notices my eye color to immediately get away from that person."


"Hmmm, interesting. But no matter how far you run dear, I've already smelt your scent and can now track you down no matter where you go." Lord Yeter'el King of Creatures said from the corner. Stella eeped. 


"Did Sister Ann take her name? Your mother?" He asked.


"Only her first name. Kimberly."


Lord Yeter'el King of Creatures blinked at her. 


"There's no way. No way you could be linked to Kimberly. What do you know about her?"


"She was separated from her husband and child and to conceal my eye color at all costs."


"Dear God it is Kimberly. Only she would think so quickly on her feet. But for now stay here. And do as she says, in fact." He waved a hand and changed her eye color from green to brown. "I'll keep you safe, Stella Fairy." He was gone.


"The hell was that?" Morticia asked.


"Lord Yeter'el King of Creatures. He's the Tsundere best friend of King Egan and all of his Half Fairy Royal Guards." 


"He's a Creature?" Heather asked.


"Yes, but for some reason I don't find him scary at all. He just took me by surprise." 



Yeter'el made it back to the Castle and found Egan on the veranda watching as Elias spoke with Musical Musician Kenneth Lemar Serving's grandson. They had been talking for about fourth five minutes and Egan could tell Kenneth was getting upset. Yeter'el put a hand on his shoulder. 


"What's wrong adré? You're never so tense."


"I'm not sure if this is true but the Stella girl, she might be your daughter Egan." 


"What are you talking about Yeter'el?" Egan smiles his tight smile at him. 


"Hear me out, she has Elias's eyes and the same color. She was dropped off at the orphanage and the one strict rule her 'mother' asked of the nurse was to tell her to conceal her eyes from others. As they would be a dead give away for her father. Egan… The woman only identified herself as Kimberly. And there's only one Kimberly I know who would do something like this to protect her child in her last moments." 


"We'll get to the bottom of who Miss Fairy truly is then."


Elias walked with Maximillion talking about books and music. However Elias noticed he kept looking at the sky.


"You liked her didn't you?" He asked.


"She was so intoxicatingly beautiful to me. And she's My Fairy."


"Go for it bro. Then come to my castle right, I want to know what happens."


"Of course." Max smiled thinking of those deep green Fairy eyes.

March 28, 2020 03:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.