The Warning Siren

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a fairy tale about an outsider trying to fit in.... view prompt

2 comments

Horror Mystery Fiction

The sun's rays came streaming through the window. I was curled up in my warm blanket, half conscious. The fibers were warm, and i almost drifted into slumber when a loud siren from outside woke me. I drowsily opened my eyes, and covered my ears with my cold hands. I listened to the sound of the siren through my hands. 'Beep beep beep...BEEP!' That sound...I can't remember what it means. I have never heard that warning siren before. Each siren means something new. Hold on.. If i don't know the siren that means it's most likely an emergency! I quickly sit up, and my brown, short hair flops into my eyes. I quickly brush it out of my face, and put my bare feet on the cold floor. I get up, and head quickly to my dresser. I grab Yellow underwear, A pale blue T-Shirt, And a black, soft material skirt. I slip my current clothes off, and throw them to the pile of clothes, growing in size by the day. I put the blue T-shirt on, and then put the skirt on. I hurry downstairs, and through the door into the living room. I pass the black leather couches, and weave around numerous dog toys on the carpeted floor. I'm soon in the kitchen, and ignore the empty feeling in my stomach. I grab my bag, a small thing, and head outside. The sun blinds me for a second, then I continue. The Sarthum Trees around my house sway in the light breeze. Then I stop dead in my tracks. The siren from earlier-I remember my mother telling me when I was younger, It meant someone was trying to get inside the kingdom. I turn and rush quickly inside the house. I slam the door, and lock it. My heart is pounding in my chest. No one, EVER has tried to get inside the castle from outside. The outside is a scary place, filled with beasts and terrible monsters. I have never seen the outside. There are many tales of the outside world. All we know for sure is anyone that leaves the protection of the walls, never, ever comes back.

I can't seem to comprehend the fact someone or something from outside is trying to come inside. I can only imagine what it is, what it wants. A shiver runs its icy fingers down my back. I reach over and grab a blanket, and cover my cold body with it. I slowly stand up and walk to the fridge. I open the door, and the cold air blows its breath onto me. I have a fairly good amount of food, but not enough for hiding. I must go out. I muster the courage to go back outside, forget the warning siren. I grab my belongings again, and unlock the door. I turn the knob slowly, but a noise from the other side stops me. Terror shoots through me. I stop and let the door knob go. I slowly lock it again. "Hello?" I say loudly. I hear a shifting noise from outside, like a response. To my surprise, a Female voice responds From behind the door. "Hello." This makes me jump, and step backwards. I stumble into the bookshelf behind me, and a large book hits me on the head, making me blackout. I wake up a few seconds later, and my hand goes instantly to my head. I feel pain my touching it, so I pull back. I slowly stand up, and walk to the door. I slowly unlock it, and see nothing there. I slowly breath out, and think everything is fine. Till i hear my mothers voice. 'Hey sweetheart!'

The only issue with this is that my mother is dead.

The voice startles me to the point I fall back. 'Mom?!' I yell loudly.

'Sweetie. I'm in the shed. Help!' Says my mother.

'I-I'm coming mom!' I yell.

I sit up and run into the shed. I look around, and see nothing.

'Mom?' 'Where are you?' I ask with fear in my voice.

'I'm in the box, sweetie!' Said a sadistic sounding version of my mother.

"O-Okay!" I answer, some what hesitantly, because she sounded almost sadistic.

I slowly slide over to the box, only to realize two Green eyes peeking out of the box's peep hole. My mothers eyes aren't green. I step back alarmed, and ask loudly, 'You're not my mother, are you?'

'No, I'm You're mother, Darling just open the box!' She yelled madly.

I stumble back into the house slamming the door shut and locking it. I then checked all the windows and doors around, to insure no unwanted entry's were made. I slowly walked away from the door, and ran upstairs, my loud footsteps echoing through the empty space. It was around 9 AM. I sit on my bed, sinking into the sheets. Thinking out loud, I say, 'My mothers dead. So who the hell was mimicking her voice?!' I reach down off my bed, and grab my laptop. Maybe the internet knows. The internet always does. I look up in the search bar, 'why do i hear my dead mother' I hit enter. The results are several things. Most are about the grieving process. Some about curses. Clearly no helpful things here. I look behind me and out the window. The trees around my home were like a shield. Or something trapping me inside. I sighed. Then i hear a tapping on my window. I turn carefully around and see a figure in my window. It was a girl. She looked normal, minus the horns coming out of her head, twisted shiny black. I looked closer, and her eyes were green. Green like the thing hiding in the box. I lunge backwards, just as she comes crashing through the window. She stands over me, and I run backwards. Her mouth opens, an breaks. Her mouth is now drenched in blood and slit open disturbingly. She runs full speed at me, and a long, slippery tongue slivers towards me. I scream in terror. It starts talking.

'Sweetheart, just relax!' says my mothers voice.

I scream as her tongue wraps around my neck, slithering around and cutting my oxygen off. My body was effortlessly lifted of the ground. I was choking and wheezing helplessly. 'So this is how I die.' I think to myself. 'Just another meaningless death covered by The Police.' I couldn't take it any longer, and I blacked out.

April 05, 2021 01:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Anna Ferguson
17:43 Apr 12, 2021

eeee i want to know what happens next

Reply

Boba Chan
22:44 Apr 12, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.