60 comments

Coming of Age Friendship Contemporary

“Damn it! That’s all we need.” I braced my arms and swerved over to the side of the road, pulling up with a sharp tyre squeal.

   “Ooh, oooh.” Sam groaned, cradling her distended belly. “Jesus! Roddy.”

   “Sorry, love.” I said, turning to face her. “Are you all right?”

   “Uh huh,” Sam said, closing her eyelids.

Sam’s face was clammy with perspiration as she clenched her jaw and inhaled through gritted teeth. I reached out to stroke her pale cheek, steadying my trembling hand as I did so. She winced in pain, gripped my forearm, and released a tight blast of air through her pursed lips. 

   Blue flashing lights illuminated Sam’s face as a patrol car slid in front of our vehicle. Sam bit her top lip and arched her back as I turned to see an officer approaching. He halted outside my door and rotated his forefinger until I responded.

   “Let me explain, officer,” I said, winding down the window.

   “I need you to switch off the engine, sir.”

   “Of course, officer,” I said, fumbling for the keys. “We were just—-”

   “You’re not wearing your seat belt, sir.”

   “My wife’s having contractions and—-”

   “Are you aware of the speed limit, sir?” The officer peered inside our vehicle and lowered his sunglasses. 

   “You’re joking---” I frowned and my knuckles whitened on the wheel. 

   “I’ll need to see your licence, sir.”

   “Marty, it’s me,” I said. “Roddy. Roddy Furlong?”

   “Do you have any ID, sir?”

   “We left in a hurry and---”

   A shrill RT squawked like an agitated goose in the patrol car.

   “Hold that thought, sir,” he said, turning to his vehicle. 

   “Please, officer, my husband was---” 

   “I won’t be a moment.”

   “What’s all that about, Roddy?” whispered Sam.

   “Due process, love.” I sighed, rolling my eyes. 

   “Playing it by the book, eh?” 

   “Something like that.”

   “Ooh, oooh! Damn it---”

* * *

I hadn’t seen Marty Hanwell since the day he got excluded from school. He was the school’s naughty lad who was always in trouble. Marty specialised in pranks and daft stunts, mostly. At least that’s how it started out. 

   “You go too far, young man!” his teachers said, tearing out their hair.

   “But---” he’d say, in all innocence. “How far is too far?”

   It was a time when rules were begging to be broken. Marty loved testing the limits and his mother revelled in his mischief.

   “He’s just spirited,” she said in his defence. “It’s all harmless fun.”

   There was no boundary without a stern father to deter him. His mother brushed away any criticism, and the town became his playground. Marty delighted in the freedom to be inventive and escalated his ambitions.

   His favourite trick was a variation of ‘knock-a-door-run’, which involved the tactical use of fishing line. My parents had heard about Marty’s escapades and banned him from visiting our house. However, he knew when I was at home and suggested throwing pebbles at my window. When I heard the sharp taps on the glass, I’d give my parents some ridiculous excuse or escaped through the back door.

   Marty had a thing about an elderly next-door neighbour and played an ongoing joke on him. Old Mister Protheroe was the local grouch who despised children of all ages and resisted all approaches to his house on Halloween. He even went as far as leaving bags of liquorice and sawdust on his doorstep, disguised as toothsome treats. Either way, he was just the sort of character who would react to Marty’s idea of fun in no uncertain terms.

   Marty’s alternative “knock-a-door-run” plan was simple. First, he’d borrow some of his stepfather’s mono-filament fishing line. One of us would then sneak up Old Man Protheroe’s pathway and tie the invisible thread to his door knocker. His house was located opposite an empty property with a low brick wall. It was convenient because it afforded a suitable place to hide while we twitched the line and rattled his door knocker.

   I’ll never know how he didn’t work out what was happening. We repeated the stunt on untold weekends and watched the old fellow open his door to find no one there. He’d curse and swear and slam his door repeatedly. Heaven only knows how he didn’t hear our laughter.

   All things have their moment and Marty just had to take it too far. His stepfather had hidden the mono-filament, and the only available replacement was a heavy-duty sea-fishing line. Marty explained the change of arrangements and reckoned we’d be fine. Everything went to plan until a removal truck passed by. We’d just tensioned the line and given the door a couple of stout taps. On cue, Mister Protheroe opened his door just as the oncoming vehicle passed between us.

   Twang!

   The van’s side mirror caught the line and removed the brass knocker from the door. 

   Ker-Ching!

   The blasted knocker catapulted across the street.

   Crack!

   The windscreen shattered, and the truck skidded to a halt. The driver jumped out of the cab and ran towards us. He must have glimpsed our little gang as he passed. In those days, a clout round the head was commonplace. He collared Marty and gave him what for. We couldn’t stop him from laughing so much.

   The damage wasn’t deliberate, of course, and we laughed about it afterwards. However, we all had to pay our share of the repairs and that was that. 

   My father was furious with me. 

   No more Marty. 

   Period.

* * *

Years later, I couldn’t believe it when my father told me Marty had joined the local constabulary. Despite being six-foot-one, he was the most unlikely candidate to be a policeman. I recall he was the kid who released a dozen white mice from his lunch box during Miss Davenport’s English class. 

   Apparently, he’d liberated the mice from the Petersham Pet Store and smuggled them into school, intending to cause a stir. He did that for sure. The English class were in uproar when the furry horde headed towards their hysterical teacher. In a panic, she took to her desk to evade the scurrying vermin. The cheers and shouts of Miss Davenport’s pupils drowned out her screams and, with no one to help, she collapsed on the floor with chest pains. 

   It was funny at first until she started clawing the floor and gasping for air. We all froze. The only sounds in the room were the mice scuttling under the skirting boards and Miss Davenport’s fingernails scratching the linoleum for dear life. 

* * *

The last day of our friendship occurred one summer after the school said, ‘That’s enough!’ Miss Davenport refused to return from her sick leave and that proved final. Marty’s mother received a letter explaining why the school had excluded her son. I don’t think she’d believed the verbal reports until that time. Maybe she’d been in denial. Anyhow, she joined her second husband and hit the bottle.

   Marty bragged about the headmaster’s letter as we headed off to indulge in target practice. I’d disobeyed my parents one last time and joined Marty’s shooting party. He’d suggested firing rocks and pieces of broken glass at tin cans in the local woods. We’d gathered a wheelbarrow full of ‘targets’ and took turns in lining them up and catapulting missiles at them.

   The rest of the gang were content, chuffing away on hand-rolled ciggies and firing at tin cans, but Marty got bored. He wanted a challenge. 

   “We need a moving target,” he said. 

At first, we agreed to line up bread and apple pieces to attract birds and squirrels. I don’t think anyone took it too seriously, except for Marty. He relished the prospect of nailing a sparrow or maiming some hapless fieldmouse. However, that thrill didn’t last long either. It was when Bobbi, his kid brother, put an unfortunate jackdaw out of its misery that Marty turned to him and said, “Hey, Bobbi!”

   “What’s up Bro?”

   “You’ve got until ten.”

   “Marty?”

   “Go!”

   “What the—-”

   “One…”

   “Roddy?”

   “Two. Better get going.”

   “No!!”

   “Three…”

   Bobbi knew Marty wasn’t joking. 

   “Four!”

   He ran for his life.

   “Five! Coming ready or not!”

   “Hey!” Bobbi stumbled to the ground and turned to face us. “That’s not fair!”

   Marty ran towards him as he struggled to his feet. “What’s not fair?”

   “No, don’t!” Bobbi raised his hand to defend himself as Marty drew back the catapult’s thick elastic. “Noooo!”

   I grabbed Marty’s hand. “You can’t do that, Marty!”

   “It’s my catapult and my game,” he said, with a glint in his eye.

   “Play by the rules,” I said as he aimed his catapult at me. 

   “What rules?” He smirked and fired. 

   At point blank range, the shot could’ve blinded me. The scar across my cheek bone and tattered earlobe are testament to that moment. By the time I got to the hospital, my tee-shirt and jeans were saturated in blood.

* * *

   “You never told me who gave you that scar, Roddy.”

   “Now you know.” I sighed, facing Marty as he returned. “It’s been a while---”

   “You need to present your documents tomorrow, sir.”

   “I know the law, Marty.” I said, rubbing my chin. “Rules are rules, right?”

   “Yes, well,” he said, sniffing. “I’ll put on the blue light.”

   “Thank you, officer.”

   “Follow me and try to keep up.”

   I wound up my window and turned the keys in the ignition.

   “And what about Marty?”

   “His drunken stepfather thrashed the living daylights out of him.”

   “Oh, Dear God.”

   “Then he joined the police.”


The End



April 20, 2024 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

60 comments

Alexis Araneta
14:01 Apr 20, 2024

Another tale full of humour, Howard. To be honest, little Miss Goody-Two-Shoes me was screaming at Marty throughout this. Hahahahaha ! Great job!

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:42 Apr 21, 2024

Hey Stella, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your experience. I’m really pleased you enjoyed it and found it amusing. I have to admit the humour is fairly hard hitting, however it paints an accurate portrait of a time before people worried about letting their kids off the leash and sending them outside to ‘play’. It’s easy to forget that the U.K. had only 3 TV channels back in the late 70’s and early 80’s, and programs didn’t start before 9am and finished prior to midnight with a blast of the National Anthem. It’s no wonder we all ...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:13 Apr 21, 2024

Geez, I was such a stickler to the rules, I almost cried the one time I was late at school (and it wasn't even my fault). Hahahahaha !

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:11 Apr 22, 2024

Some times it’s a good idea to bend the rules, however, nobody seems to notice nowadays, which spoils the fun somewhat :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
04:19 Apr 20, 2024

It's a small wonder you survived childhood. Maybe there is something to be said for dungeons and dragons. Great story, Howard. and Cheers!

Reply

Howard Halsall
05:19 Apr 20, 2024

Hey Trudy, I thought you’d be out celebrating your recent success or out for the count by this time…. Anyhow, thank you for reading my latest offering and giving me such a positive review. I’m glad you enjoyed it and can assure you I survived unscathed from a misspent youth… And “yes”, cheers :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:59 Apr 20, 2024

I paused my celebration to read yours hot off the press. :-)

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:50 Apr 21, 2024

Much appreciated :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
03:02 May 05, 2024

Great characters and your humour comes through without getting in the way of the story. This reminds me of some of my parent’s stories. They pretended they were angels back when they were telling me off, then as I got older I found out what they got up to.

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:04 May 06, 2024

Hey Graham, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. Yes, it’s funny how the majority of parents pretend they’re innocent as if it’s only future generations that make mischief and get into trouble…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
08:28 May 06, 2024

Same to you Howard, look after yourself.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
01:07 Apr 27, 2024

Hey, bet you're in the middle of number 114 and I know you'd rather not give feedback, but I'm going to be cheeky and ask anyway. I attempted to do a brogue in my story Persuasion. I was wondering if you could take a look at it (one of these days) and tell me where I went off track. If you'd rather do stealthily you can reach me at trudyjas@gmail.com. And if you don't, no hard feelings. (but if you could tell me no, it would be appreciated). Thanks.

Reply

Howard Halsall
04:51 Apr 27, 2024

You know what? It's been a long night and i've just realised I've reviewed and commented on the Wind in the Willows (which I enjoyed enormously BTW) and not Persuasion... My bad. I take a look later if that suits as it's 6am and I don't think I'll do it justice at the moment... HH :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
05:32 Apr 27, 2024

Great tganks. I'll go to bed too. Till tomorrow. tj

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
01:28 Apr 28, 2024

You haven't forgotten, have you? :)

Reply

Howard Halsall
02:36 Apr 28, 2024

Hey Trudy, No, I’ve not forgotten. I’ve been mulling over the ideas in Heinrich‘s story and pondering your question about your use of ‘brogue’. It’s a tricky device to get right and I wouldn’t claim to be an expert. However, I do have a couple of suggestions based on my experience and advice given to me by other writers. Firstly, I think it’s important to decide who is telling the story and clearly reflect the voice in the POV. For instance if one uses the first person POV, then it helps to be consistent with the use of brogue; the first pe...

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:50 Apr 28, 2024

Thanks!! Loved your essay. :-) Okay, I get it. Tone it down. I did try to show that Heinrich 's family is German and the Murphy's Irish. But I went overboard in my enthusiasm. And no, I'm not taking is it as criticism, it's exactly why I asked you to look at it. Thanks again. talk to you later.

Reply

Howard Halsall
02:53 Apr 28, 2024

I’m glad it was helpful and more than happy to comment :)

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
13:10 Apr 26, 2024

Liked. Funny descriptions. Had fun reading it.

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:58 Apr 26, 2024

Hey Darvico, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joan Wright
22:18 Apr 25, 2024

Excellent story. You hooked me from the first sentence.You use your words so well. I had a brother that always went too far, and this brought back memories. I love that Marty became a cop, and became a rule enforcer.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:52 Apr 25, 2024

Hey Joan, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. By the way, it seems you’re not alone; Marty is a popular character who appears in a lot of people’s lives. It makes me wonder how many people like Marty joined the police…. Take care HH

Reply

Joan Wright
16:55 May 01, 2024

The absolute worst rule breaker at my high school became a policeman in our town. It was hard to take him seriously, in his uniform. He turned out to be a great policeman.

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:32 May 01, 2024

It would appear to be a universal phenomenon, which only proves the the adage, ‘It takes a crook to catch a criminal’… (or something like that) Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Syed Mashud
11:06 Apr 25, 2024

"Then he joined the police"🤌

Reply

Howard Halsall
11:59 Apr 25, 2024

Hey Syed, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share reaction :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joe Smallwood
05:14 Apr 25, 2024

Doesn't say much about the police now does it? Lol at the end. I knew an RCMP officer who was a friend of my father. He was constantly going around with things that people "gave" him. Very much at the heart of everything in our town and crooked in a friendly way. Dad thought himself lucky to be friends with him. He knew everything about everything that was going on. Those were the days when petty larceny was the lubricant in society. My, I must have enjoyed your story to carry on like this. Howard your stories help people feel good about t...

Reply

Howard Halsall
07:47 Apr 25, 2024

Hey Joe, I’m pleased you enjoyed my story and took the time to share your thoughts. I agree with your sentiment entirely; it’s better to be on good terms with the local police, rather than be in their ‘bad books’. And speaking about knowing your local policeman, I’m always amazed how many of them have family members in jail or ‘in trouble’ - I guess it takes a crook to catch a crook, wouldn’t you agree? Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yuliya Borodina
12:59 Apr 24, 2024

Great character work! I think most of us knew a "Marty" at one point or another, so cudos for writing them so well. I think it was probably the first time I read that someone "thrashed the living lights" out of a kid and almost felt some sort of vague satisfaction. Mostly though, I felt bad for everyone in this situation, poor jackdaw included. All in all, a very complete and well-told story. Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Howard Halsall
14:31 Apr 24, 2024

Hey Yuliya, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I’m glad you enjoyed my work and pleased it provided a few surprises as well as ringing true. It’s really exciting to produce a tale that resonates and I hope its themes provide a talking point in the future. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
22:25 Apr 23, 2024

Marty caused trouble, but in the story it seems Marty was acting out to get attention he missed from parents hitting the bottle, and a drunken stepfather hitting him. And if you cant get attention by acting proper, then- might as well have some fun? Potentially just mimicking the violence he found at home, hopefully he doesn't use his badge to continue it. Thanks!

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:29 Apr 23, 2024

Hey Marty, Thanks for reading my story and sharing your spot on analysis of my antagonist’s behaviour. Alas, I fear he will misuse use his new found powers to ill effect and get his revenge for years of emotional abuse. It’s society’s curse that history repeats and therefore a mistake to allow him free rein and a broad ambit for interpreting the law. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Juan Farris
00:30 Apr 22, 2024

Great story with good character development. Marty seems like someone I might know. That person might be me. Sometimes it's hard with kids to tell who the negative influence is or if it's real. There is such a thing as a bad mix or bad chemistry when a group gets together. I liked reading this. I liked the plot.

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:58 Apr 22, 2024

Hey Juan, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I’m pleased it was so impactful, and hope it continues to resonate, providing more food for thought :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:53 Apr 21, 2024

Hi Howard, Beneath the humour, strong stuff. With a mother in denial and a father who probably didn’t want to know until he was forced to and then dealt with the problem by “thrashing the living daylights” out of his son we were all set up for a powerful final. I still found it difficult to feel sorry for the boy. He subverted all his energies into upsetting people and causing distress. Very different times in one sense. In another, nothing much changes about human nature. There’s always rotten bullies. His character rang true when he tur...

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:07 Apr 22, 2024

Hey Helen, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughtful comments. Your understanding of human nature is impressive and the analysis of the idea is spot on. I’m really pleased it resonated on the levels you mentioned and relieved it worked as you described. In future, I should allow myself more time to think about and plan my submissions, rather than cantering for the deadline every Friday night and regretting my scribbles in retrospect. I keep on promising to start earlier in the week, but alas I repeat a familia...

Reply

Helen A Smith
09:43 Apr 22, 2024

Many of us on here enjoy your “scribbles” so no need to regret anything, but I know what you mean about the dreaded time constraints 😂

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:35 Apr 23, 2024

Phew… that’s a relief, Helen. I’m glad it’s not just me that’s chasing the clock :)

Reply

Helen A Smith
10:03 Apr 23, 2024

It’s very difficult if something doesn’t spring to mind easily. If you have time, can you take a look at my last piece “The Mound of Nu?” I’d value your opinion. Do you think it works?

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:00 Apr 23, 2024

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:12 Apr 20, 2024

The story I wrote this week about the fireworks technician who lost his head(thanks for the like) got my son's remembering the incident and growing up with his kids. Also brought up some of their antics playing around the neighborhood which led me wondering "where was their mother!" It was a time when we could send the kids outdoors to play and they created their own fun.

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:19 Apr 21, 2024

Hey Mary, It was a different era back in the day; health and safety concerns were a thing of the future. I guess it was a time when wisdom was gained with experience rather than through worrying about untold problems, and fear of litigation didn’t exist. Incidentally, I used to take my kids on holiday to Scotland and it was where my daughter learned to ride a horse. We got to know the local stable’s owner and she mucked out all morning in exchange for lessons in the afternoon. The owner was a tough guy from Brazil who believed that you had t...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:39 Apr 21, 2024

Thanks for sharing.😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
20:20 Apr 20, 2024

I thought it was going to be a story about Sam’s labor, so I wasn’t expecting (and enjoyed) the turn and backstory and woah, that was wild. Very interesting and well formed characters! Great read.

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:22 Apr 21, 2024

Hey Hazel, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m glad you enjoyed it and hope you didn’t feel misdirected or cheated in terms of subject matter…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Hazel Ide
11:03 Apr 21, 2024

Oh not at all, I love the misdirection, that’s what makes a story interesting!

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:08 Apr 22, 2024

Thank you, that’s much appreciated :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daryl Kulak
16:23 Apr 20, 2024

An excellent story, Howard. It hits very personally for me. I had an acquaintance in my early twenties who was like this. I never liked him. He was a rich kid who thought he could do anything he wanted.

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:29 Apr 21, 2024

Hey Daryl, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts. I hear where you’re coming from with the ‘rich kid’ comment; it’s strange how often excessive money breeds arrogance and contempt for others. Maybe there’s truth in the saying, ‘money is the root of all evil’. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
S. E. Foley
13:27 Apr 20, 2024

Great story. It's something intense when amorality borne of innocence, ignorance, and lack of foresight gets broken. Sometimes people become better at it, and sometimes they really get lost.

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:49 Apr 21, 2024

Hey S.E., Thank you for reading my latest submission and sharing your reaction. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and agree with your sentiment…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:54 Apr 20, 2024

I skimmed through this to try to find out what happened to Sam who is in labour. (More interested in her. Nothing!!!) Then I went back to reread all about that clown Marty. He turned out rather well for someone so screw loose. Horrifyingly daft antics. Don't know if what he did even passes as a joke taken too far. No criticism. Great story. Had to read until the end. You just forgot to tell us how Sam is.

Reply

Howard Halsall
04:00 Apr 21, 2024

Hey Kaitlyn, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts; I hope you didn’t feel cheated concerning poor old Sam…. However, I can report she arrived at the hospital after a hair raising journey, following Marty up ahead, who obligingly cleared the way forward with his flashing blue light (as mentioned briefly in the final scene….) HH :)

Reply

04:17 Apr 21, 2024

Glad to hear it, Howard. LOL. You knew that, of course. Another funny thing is that Marty's seriousness about the whole thing initially made me think that was his joking nature coming out - pulling them over to start with, pretending not to recognize the driver who was so obviously on a mission. But Marty had actually reformed to the point where he had become pedantic. I thought it would be mean to have a woman going through labor to be left waiting! Actually, I can identify with that!

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:49 Apr 21, 2024

The ending might be somewhat ambiguous, however I’d hope the reader would make the leap and be concerned for Sam and wonder how she survived the final stretch of the journey to the hospital, charging after Marty’s patrol car with its flashing blue lights…. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.